OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Affordable Diamond/Circle reticle scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Affordable Diamond/Circle reticle scope
    Posted: December/15/2012 at 11:23
I was thinking on a Trophy for my upcoming Mossberg 835.  I'm not sweet on any Bushnell lower than the Elites.

As with all of us, I am on a tight budget, and cant get the shotgun, and an expensive scope.  An I am specifically seeking the Turkey style reticle. 

Bushnell 1.75-4x32 Trophy XLT Shotgun Scope

Please give suggestions, tips and cash donations.
"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2012 at 10:50
You may have to do a bt of searching but Nikon made the old Monarch in 1.5-4.5 with thier "Turkey Plex" reticle which is a heavy diamond around thin crosshairs. Was designed to subtend a turkeys head and neck at 40yds but works well for any low light and quick shooting application. If you can find one they usually run around $150.00-$200.00. I have one mounted on a muzzleloader and it is a great scope for that application as well. I think the versapex in the 2-7 Vortex Viper ar the Minox is too thin for low light but that's just my opinion. Might just call SWFA as they might have a source or two that can turn one up.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
eurolynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eurolynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2012 at 17:32
I saw a 12 GA in a shop, it had a real Weaver 2-7x  32 with a turkey diamond.  But I wasn't interested in the shotgun it was on.  They wouldn't sell just the scope.....boogers.

I'll have plenty time to find one, the guy who was going to sell me the Mossberg backed out.......oh well

"Guns aren't toys! They're for family protection, hunting dangerous or delicious animals, and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
Hubby11 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubby11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2013 at 08:21
If you're really on a tight budget, look at the Simmons ProDiomond 4x32.  You can pick one up for less than $50 new.  The glass is decent, and most importantly, it holds up to abuse, maintaining zero.  Myself, and quite a few muzzleloader shooters use this scope, and it has not failed on anyone I know.  Simmons has a less than steller rep, but this particular scope is one of the exceptions.  Maybe because it's a fixed power scope it is less susceptible to failure.  IMO, a 4x is really all you need for 95% of muzzleoader or shotgun applications.
Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic