OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New rifle, to me anyway!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New rifle, to me anyway!
    Posted: December/22/2012 at 23:36
I found a model 700, with a varmint profile barrel, chambered in 7-08. According to the barrel stamp code research I have done it is 1980, which is the first year Remington chambered the 7-08! The rifle is in excellent shape, the exterior I would rate at 90-95%. I haven't really looked at the bore, but it shoots pretty good! My only complaint is the trigger needs help, it is very heavy and has a lot of creap.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 03:53
Is to do a trigger job on it. Nice score! 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 06:04

GOOD find in a GREAT chambering!

In 1980 I talked co-worker who was looking for a rifle for his wife into buying a 788 Remington,w/an 18" bbl I believe,in 7mm-08.  Liked it so well he kept it for himself.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 06:10
http://www.neiljones.com/html/gunsmithing.html  Nice find on the m700. Neil does wonderful work on the remmy triggers.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 06:19
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

GOOD find in a GREAT chambering!

Concur! Rifle Dude LOVES that round!  
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 07:42

And that should tell those who know him just HOW GOOD a cartridge it is.

I don't own a short action rifle but if I did or would get one,got me thinking now Whacko,there'd be no question on the chambering. 
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 11:02
Thats funny 300,I don't own a long action rifle but I was just recently thinking about a .243 after the hollidays Big Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 13:18
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

And that should tell those who know him just HOW GOOD a cartridge it is.

Mr. Dude recommendation of a rifle or caliber, is like Koshkin's opinion of an optic. Ya can take it to the bank. Big Grin
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 15:53
If I ever get another 7mm-08 I will try working up a load with the 162 gr Hornady AMax or hp match with Ram Shot Hunter.
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 16:43
Steve I am fixin to work up a load with that bullet, but with H4350 as the powder. The rifle came with 2 boxes of 50 hand-loads. One with 160gr soft points, and the other with 175gr soft points.
Shot this group with the 160's. I am going to blame that flyer on the trigger...And I am sticking to that story!

stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 20:29
BB you must of had a few as your 5 o'clock holes are really your 9 o'clock holes & your 1" MOA is really a 2.965"Moa & your black holes are actually green & where did you get that red hole from Big Grin

Maybe it's me who had a few...Merry Christmas Merry Christmas
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 20:44
Here is the rifle by the way. Pardon the kick stand,  it is just a spare I had laying around.

Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 21:28
That scope sort of looks like an older Leupold M8 8X or possibly 12X.

H4350 would probably give better velocity consistency, thus better long range accuracy, but you might be able to get more RS Hunter into the case as Hunter has a greater density and is a ball powder and get another 75 fps or so. I flip flop between the 2 powders.

The Rem 700 trigger work should consist of 2 simple adjustments.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2012 at 21:39
Really close on the scope, Steve. You got bracketed, it is 10x. 
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2012 at 12:44
its a bdl for sure.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trojan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 08:46
Nice rifle:)
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 10:01
That's a great rig for sure, and a 7-08 is awfully hard to beat.  If you're just messin' around with some loads, try up to 45 gr Varget under a 120 Nosler ballistic tip.  You'll be shooting  bugholes in no time.  Seat bullets to somewhere around 2.80 COAL.  It is absolutely devastating on hogs and deer sized stuff.  I had a 490lb wild hog fall over quivering a couple of weeks ago.  Compete pass through broadside shot.  Up to 46.5 of IMR 4350 and 140 Accubond's are a fantastic combo too.   Good luck and have fun shooting. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2012 at 18:13
Good score!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2013 at 21:12
Just bought a McMillan A-5 with Badger M-5 bottom metal for this rifle. It should be here a week from tomorrow! Yippee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2013 at 19:44
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic