OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Cantilever necessary for AR mounting?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hondo64d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cantilever necessary for AR mounting?
    Posted: December/28/2012 at 12:25
I see that most of the popular AR Scope mounts are cantilever design.  Is this necessary?  If not, I would much rather use conventional picitinni rings.  I'll be mounting one of the low power variables with illuminated reticle.

Thanks,

John
trojan73 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trojan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 13:04
Its not necessary, I had Warne QD Pic Rings on my Sionics DMR and it worked just fine. I have recently changed that set up because I have used those rings on a different rifle and I am currently using an Armalite Cant. Mount. Pic's work fine.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.
George Washington
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 13:40
Only problem with conventional rings is it is very possible you will not be able to get the scope far enough forward to get the proper eye relief.  Optimally you want the objective of the scope about even with the back of the upper receiver.

In this pic he put the mount on backwards and you can see how far back his scope is vs where it should be.

Obviously everyone is a little different and different scopes make work a little better with standard rings.  But in most cases you just cannot put the scope far enough forward with regular rings.

Here is one you can see with regular rings.  Look how far back the scope is.  WHile that may work somewhat when standing up, when you shoot uphill, sitting, prone, or bench you will not be able to get the right eye relief.

They make the cantilever style mounts for a good reason. 

Optimally if you are closer to this you will be better off.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Hondo64d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hondo64d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/28/2012 at 19:02
A great answer that I can understand.  Thank you very much!

John
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 14:04
If you'd like to keep low rings because your switching the scope between a boltgun to an AR, for example, you could get 1" riser mount. This will give you near perfect height and you don't have to buy high rings. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 15:40
I prefer the cantilever type La Rue or BOBRO but I like to be able to get to the charging handle without the scope being in the way. The happiest I have been with an AR is an ACOG which is a very short small scope.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/29/2012 at 18:23
This is what cheaptrick was talking about

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2012 at 16:49
CLOSE THAT DUST COVER!!!!!

Wink
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic