OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Most accurate 25-06

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most accurate 25-06
    Posted: December/31/2012 at 20:57

It's definitely something I don't need, but I've gotten the bug and have to get a 25-06. I have Tikkas in 308, and 7-08 that are tack drivers, but have 22.4" barrels. Most everything I have read suggest a 24" if not a 26" barrel for this caliber. Will use for yotes and deer in eastern North Carolina.

With that being said, and a budget of $1,500, what is the most accurate 25-06 that I can get and stay within this price range? I will be using factory ammo and do not handload.

I like the Steyr-Mannlicher and the Remington 700 Sendero, but am not limited those by any means.

Will probably put a  Kahles KXi 3.5-10x50 on this rifle (hope this isn't too much scope).

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 21:41
Well...

You can get a Remington 700 SPS Long Range or Varmint for $730-740 and a Varmint SF for about $980.

Kimbers and Winchester 70's run into the mid-teens, so forget that.

Howa is an interesting candidate. They have Varminters for around $540. That leaves you a lot more to spend on glass,and Howa has a good rep for quality.

Savage has the Axis, which you can get into for $375. Heck, looking at it, I'm tempted myself, but I just bought a couple of M14's, so I'm a wee bit tapped out.
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
tman1965 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tman1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 21:42
I have a friend who has a marlin xl7 25-06 W/22" bbl. I have seen him put 3 shots in a cluster at 100 yds. that you could cover with a dime with boring regularity. I know he uses remington corelokt ammo, and I believe it is 120gr., but not positive on that. For what it's worth, my son has the xl7 in 30-06 and it will do the same with corelokt 150gr. And my wife had one in 30-06 that was right there with the other 2 in accuracy. I know that's only 3 rifles tested, but the marlin xl7 has convinced me that it is one accurate s.o.b. And the price just can't be beat. With that said, I also had a tikka 308 that was just spooky accurate, with just about any ammo I fed it. As far as optics go, I think that Kahles is an excellent choice. Happy New Year, And Good Luck!

Sometimes my tongue outruns my brain and I say something I haven't thought of yet!
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/31/2012 at 21:47

I had a .25-06 some time ago and I if I had $1,500 to spend on one I would get a Rem 700 LA or Ruger M77 MKII and spend the extra money to put a custom barrel on it. There are any number of custom barrel makers out there such as Lilja, PacNor, Hart, and McGowen. They could probably fix you up with a very nice 1-10 twist moderate weight stainless barrel of 24 -26 inch length that would deliver the accuracy that would please you.

My .25-06 was built on a M77 Ruger with a 1-10 twist. #5 contour Lilja barrel and if I tried hard enough I could get 1 hole groups with it, about 3/8 inch. I used the old Sierra 100 grain flat base bullet with H4831 - that was some time ago and more bullets are available now. I gave the rifle away to a relative with a moderate supply of 87 gr Hornadys and 100 gr Nostler ballistic tips (a real good all around bullet).

A good gunsmith could help you out with proper bedding and barrel fitting.

The selection of factory ammo should be varied enough to find the load you want. The .25-06 when loaded with 85-87 grain bullets is a super good varmint rifle as it shoots these close to 3,500 fps with very good accuracy. Heavier bullets for game are available.

You never can put enough scope (within reason) on a .25-06 - the Kahles scope should make for a beautiful combo giving much enjoyment.

SChunter View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SChunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 08:29
I have the howa in 25-06. Factory trigger is very good, and the rifle is very accurate. My 11 yo son can shoot one inch or smaller 100 yd groups with it off the bench (yes he shoots better than me!!). Green hogue stock package under 475 dollars. Hard to beat!!
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 09:45
I have a Browning b-78 it shoots berry consistent 1/2" groups at 100 & 200 yards with factory ammo. Don't know if a rolling block would be an idea for you or not.
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 10:09
Stevey Ducks is taking you down the right path here. I prefer a Savage or REM700 action. I would stick with a moderate weight barrel similar to a magnum contour in 24in. Either glass bedded in a laminate stock or dropped into something like a HS precision. My 25-06 is a stock Savage 22in barrel glass bedded in a thumb hole laminate. 100gr Noslet B/T shoot well in it as do 100gr Barnes TTSX. Mine are hand loads but on a good day it will shoot little clover leafs with 3 shots at 200yds with the TTSX. Even in a 22in barrel my Noslers crony over 3200fps and the Barnes just a shade ove 3100fps. If you don't want to re barrel the Savage and Marlin are good choices if you don't mind the shorter barrel and the Remington if you want the longer barrel. I also have a Marlin XS7 in 243 that i have glass bedded and free floated in a thumb hole laminate stock that shoots unbelievably well. The Marlin has a trigger similar to the Savage accu-trigger that is adjustable and breaks very cleanly.

Edited by biggreen747 - January/01/2013 at 10:20
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 10:39

I did a comparison of two rifles chambered in .25-06 back in the mid 80's.  One was a 22"bbl Savage and the other was a 24"bbl M70.  Using Remington factory 87gr ammo in both the results were that the M70 gave the higher velocity when the total shots were averaged out BUT the Savage gave the single highest velocity(3475 over 3469).  The diff in avaerage velocity between the two was a whopping 9fps.
 Of course we're only talking one example here but I would't let 2" of extra bbl stop me from aquiring a rifle that I liked. 

Forgot to mention that I LUV the .25-06 cartridge and ended up buying that M70.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 10:50
there is no way to predict a rifles accuracy when not handloading, the most accurate load you may find with the rifle you end up getting may be the worst ballistic coefficient of the commercial stuff out there. This will make the load more sensitive to side winds at distance than something in a smaller case with a better bc. If you are going to use this type of approach good luck. Fortunately the distances and type of hunting you doing doesn't require that much precision.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 11:29
I'd probably stick with a Tikka.  They are generally very easy to get under MOA accuracy, especially if you handlload.  
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/01/2013 at 16:31
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

there is no way to predict a rifles accuracy when not handloading, the most accurate load you may find with the rifle you end up getting may be the worst ballistic coefficient of the commercial stuff out there. This will make the load more sensitive to side winds at distance than something in a smaller case with a better bc. If you are going to use this type of approach good luck. Fortunately the distances and type of hunting you doing doesn't require that much precision.

Very true. However you always need a benchmark to start from and it has been my experience that the 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip no matter what it's loaded with be it factory or hand load is a good starting point. Every 25-06 I've ever dealt with has always shot this bullett reasonably well. My 12yr old daughter has already laid claim to my current 25-06 so I too will be building a new one soon. The 25-06 has a long history in my family so it's hard to be without one. My next one will be a 23in heavy magnum type barrel (they type of contour you would find in something in the 375-416 class rifles) glass and pillar bedded in a B&C stock that I have laying in my parts cabinet.

Edited by biggreen747 - January/01/2013 at 16:40
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2013 at 15:16
im gonna go to the other end and say a sako 85
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2013 at 16:59
Its not a pretty rifle but I had an old savage tactical in 25-06 an it shot box ammo lights out. It loved 110 grain winchester ballistic silver tips...

My friend has a tikka that I used for a deer season after being broke into and having my rifles stolen. It was a shooter as well. I bought a couple boxes of hornady custon 117grain sst and I was very happy with its performance. Shot to doe's with it! Cant go wrong with a tikka ever.
Dont take yourself to seriously
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/02/2013 at 19:16
I would have to agree on a Tikka for being a very good candidate for being an out of the box shooter.
Thinking of getting my oldest son for next season and passing the old Sako 243 down to his little brother.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 06:30
Too bad for us both...I recently sold my Cooper Jackson Hunter in 25-06. It shot very well. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2013 at 08:53
yeah, I have a Cooper on T&E
it's a shooter!

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stilhuntin View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stilhuntin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2013 at 21:41
Good news and bad news. Good news first. Today, I ordered a Cooper Custom Classic repeater in 25-06 with a 25" barrel. Really blew away my budget. Bad news is I will have to wait about 12 months for the rifle. At least it will give me time to save for a really good scope.
Thanks for all the good info. Now I will start looking for the right scope and suggestions are always welcome.
Bowlseye View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bowlseye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2013 at 20:05
Bandito25-06, say no more. Great choice. I don't think you can go wrong with one in a 24" barrel. There are some heavy barreled Senderos out there but unless you like lugging the extra weight and length I would keep it at 24" or even 22".  As far as coyotes go you can get about 3700 fps out of the 26" with 75 grain v-max and sighted a little high it did not take much hold over to take out a coyote at 425 yds.

The Ruger's M77 MarkII and Hawkeyes have a magnum weight barrel @ 24" and with a little work will shoot the lights out. After glass bedding the action with aluminum pillars and a timney trigger I can tell you a M77 MarkII was very, very accurate with the 75 grain vmax. The load was backed down to 3500 range with a faster powder.

I can not see why a 22" barrel would hender you in any way with a 400 yd. to 500 yd. maximum range. 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips have also shot well and make a great deer/coyote load.

The Tikka is one I have looked long and hard at for my next purchase in 25-06 or maybe a 700 Mountain version stainless. After shooting and carrying a number of rifles chambered in this caliber I have come to the conclusion I like something light and comfortable to carry and its not like I need to be shooting at 4-500 yds. Good luck with your choice!
Bowlseye
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/04/2013 at 10:50
Welcome to OT, Bowlseye!

I'm betting the OP has likely either selected his rifle by now or changed his mind, as this thread is nearly a year old.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
B W M View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B W M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2014 at 14:33
Savage and save some money. They will shoot 1/2 or less out of the box. Get a good scope with the money you jest saved. GOOD LUCK.
X navy love long & short big & little Guns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic