OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Just ordered my first Cooper!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just ordered my first Cooper!!!!
    Posted: January/09/2013 at 14:33
Wooo Hooo!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I just ordered a Ferrari!!!! The gentleman I spoke with on the phone told me I would be very pleased. He was happy and excited for me because this was my first Cooper.

I ordered the Jackson Excalibur, stainless fluted barrel, stainless fluted bolt, stainless receiver with a grey synthetic stock with black spider webbing in a 280. No doubt this is going to be my southern bean field rifle. He told me it won't be ready until August to mid September. Right in time for our deer season. Yippee

How many Cooper owners do we have here? I personally know 2 and they do nothing but rave and brag about their Coopers not just for looks but also for shooting. These are 2 bench guys.
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 14:45
Congratulations! Excellent
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 15:10
Nice!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 15:34
Sweet!

Did you get the .280 or the .280 Ackley Improved?

Also, which model did you get? I was trying to figure it out but I can only find Jackson OR Excalibur, not "Jackson Excaliber". I'm guessing it's a Model 52?
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 15:47
Congrat's man, sounds awesome !! Good call with the stainless, as the black finish is not all that durable on an Excalibur.

I have an Excalibur .30-06 and while I have had an issue or two(still some small one's). The gun is absolutely an amazing shooter. It will group factory ammo into tiny little clover leafs all day long.....even with me behind the wheel ! I sighted it in with a new scope last Thursday and after the first adjustments I had 2 shots in basically 1 hole and 1 shot cutting the bottom right corner of those at 100 yrds ! And I just have to laugh because I really don't think I have ever not shot a 3 shot group at 100 without all 3 shots touching in some fashion. It's just crazy !
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 16:23
That's great! RifleDude and a few others here have "Coops". Bugsnbows too maybe?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 16:50
I sold one but have another on order. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2013 at 19:23
The Coopers have been good to me. All mine are rimfire calibers. The Cooper craftsmanship is outstanding. The Jackson Excalibur will be the next on the list unless a .204 gets delivered first. Wink
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Obi Wan Kenobi View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Obi Wan Kenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 11:03
Originally posted by MC Escher MC Escher wrote:

Sweet!

Did you get the .280 or the .280 Ackley Improved?

Also, which model did you get? I was trying to figure it out but I can only find Jackson OR Excalibur, not "Jackson Excaliber". I'm guessing it's a Model 52?

I got the 280, I feel like the 280 AI is a 7mm & I have a couple of 7s so I stuck with the 280, its becoming more and more my favorite round behind the 06. Shoots flat like a 7 has a wallop just behind an 06 but recoils like a 270.

Cooper makes a special set up for First Stop Guns in SD. They're a big Cooper dealer and they sell the "Jackson Excaliber". Its a Jackson stock with the high cheek piece, but instead of wood its synthetic. Its a model 52 Excaliber but you have to specificially ask for the Jackson Exaclibur if you like that particular style stock. They don't make very many of them.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 12:58
Congratulations on not only getting a fine rifle with great fit, finish, and accuracy... but also for having great taste!

Every Cooper I've ever fired has been extremely accurate, including the two M21's I own!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 13:11
I bought my first 2 Coopers from First Stop. Mark and Steve are fine fellows.  If you can ever get to their store you will be impressed. It had the biggest and varied inventory of any I have ever been in. I had ordered my first Jackson Squirrel before Cooper decided to make it in left hand. I had requested very pretty wood and they delivered. I think Mark hand picked the blank after the rifle was made and had it swapped. They went out of their way to insure that things were perfect.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 17:48
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

I bought my first 2 Coopers from First Stop. Mark and Steve are fine fellows.  If you can ever get to their store you will be impressed. It had the biggest and varied inventory of any I have ever been in. I had ordered my first Jackson Squirrel before Cooper decided to make it in left hand. I had requested very pretty wood and they delivered. I think Mark hand picked the blank after the rifle was made and had it swapped. They went out of their way to insure that things were perfect.

Good story. I had forgotten about your Coopers, Lile. 

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 18:26
I live near Cooper Firearms, and one of my close friends is associated with the company.  I don't have any ... yet, but I have shot several of his.  I really, really like them.  They all shoot lights out.
-Matt
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 18:47
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Lile's got some pretty Coopers he brought to last year's hog hunt. They shoot as well as they look too!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
MC Escher View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Escher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/10/2013 at 19:58
Originally posted by Obi Wan Kenobi Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

I got the 280...

Cooper makes a special set up ... Its a Jackson stock with the high cheek piece, but instead of wood its synthetic. Its a model 52 Excaliber but you have to specificially ask for the Jackson Exaclibur if you like that particular style stock. They don't make very many of them.
[/QUOTE]

Schweeet!
The older I get, the better I feel about tearing up parking tickets and cheating on my taxes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 05:24
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Lile's got some pretty Coopers he brought to last year's hog hunt. They shoot as well as they look too!

I know. I got to fondle those beauties and STILL forgot he had them! LH to boot!
Coops just exude quality... 
RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2013 at 13:19
Oi Wan, congratulations! I am certain you will be happy. I own 2 Coopers. A LH Model 52, 280 AI that now sits in a MPI stock. I also own a 22LR LH Jackson Squirrel Rifle.

I have hunted the 280 AI hard for the past 3 years. It is the most accurate centerfire I have owned to date. Factory 280 ammo is incredibly accurate from this gun and is a nice option when traveling.

My JSR 22, well it is just the sweetest rimfire I will ever own simply because barring a disaster it will be my last, I really enjoy it.

Good Luck and enjoy your Cooper!

Randy
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2013 at 16:35
What triggers and barrels do they use, particularly in the Model 52?

cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2013 at 20:35
They make their own triggers and Wilson makes the barrels.
feklar View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote feklar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2013 at 21:16
Excellent rifle, if you can find the time, go to their factory and take a tour, but leave your checkbook in another state and don't look at the stock blanks.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic