OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Conquest HD5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Conquest HD5
    Posted: January/11/2013 at 11:41
Has anyone layed their hands on one of these babies??
I found this new scopes on Zeiss website and they seem to be very nice. I currently own a 3-12X50 Non-Illuminated Duralyt and really love it, but after reading about all the new perks on this new HD5 i got really interested. The price is awesome, but can't find a reason why they are priced sooooooo close (even cheaper) to the Duralyt line. They have better coatings, better turrets, 5x magnification. My only concern is that they say "Assembled in Germany" instead of "Made in Germany" as the Duralyt.
Has any one tried them?? I was really hoping to trade my 3-12X50 Duralyt for a 3-15X42 or a 5-25X50 HD5. But they kind of lost me with the "Assembled in Germany" statement. Is the "Assembled in Germany" issue enough to price them so low?? Or is there some quality difference between this and the Duralyt that justifies this awesome price??
I wrote to the people @ Zeiss and had the stupidest first answer. They told me the price difference, or better to say, the price similarity was because the Duralyt had a 50mm objective instead of the 42mm on the HD5, and that costs just as much as all the perks included in the 3-15X42 HD5. I wrote back saying the 5-25X50 HD5 costs exactly the same as de 3-15X42 HD5 and had a 50mm Obj as the Duralyt and guess what?? I got a super long explanation full of "BS" that had a lot of words in it but in the end it sayed nothing.

I want to buy it, but don't want to regret it tomorrow.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 11:53
Don't think they are out yet.  Probably more after this years SHOT show.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Iron Worker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 13:14
I just ordered the 5x25x50 . It should arrive next week.
Truth isn't relative,its absoulute and objective
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 14:08
They are out and available
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 14:15
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

They are out and available

Yep, at least three different models that I know of (2-10x42, 3-15x42, 5-25x50).
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 15:39
i stand corrected.  I hadn't seen anything on them being out yet
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 16:03
Would love to know more about them, Gives me a reason to buy one, then put a new rifle under it Big Grin
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 17:04
To the OP this will answer your questions about where the new HD5 is made/assembled.
Carl Zeiss Introduces the New CONQUEST HD5 Riflescope Line with 5x Superzoom™

Premium Performance and Maximum Versatility at an Exceptional Price Point

NORTH CHESTERFIELD, VA., January 2, 2013 – Carl Zeiss Sports Optics, the world's leading manufacturer in high performance sports optics, is pleased to announce the new CONQUEST HD5 riflescope line. Designed for today’s demanding hunters, the CONQUEST HD5 features a superior 5x variable magnification range, new ballistic lockable turrets and redesigned RAPID-Z® ballistic reticles all built into the most compact SuperZoom™ 1-inch riflescope in the industry. In addition, optical enhancements coupled with traditional features such as the Carl Zeiss’ proprietary T* lens coating for unsurpassed light transmission and LotuTec® water-repellant hydrophobic lens coating will make this riflescope line an industry benchmark. Quite simply, the CONQUEST HD5 with its 5x SuperZoom™ sets a new standard for features and performance in its price range.

Designed, engineered and assembled in Germany, these compact 1-inch tube scopes with ¼ MOA adjustments are available in three models -

and offer a variety of reticle options. The advanced design of the new CONQUEST HD5 includes rubberized magnification rings with finer adjustment than previous versions of CONQUEST rifle scopes, updated ergonomic turret design, generous mounting space and a lower profile for easy transport. Selected models also feature an “all new” lockable target turret for added speed and versatility in the field.

“We are thrilled and proud to bring this high-performance CONQUEST HD5 riflescope series of riflescopes to market,” said Mike Jensen, President of Carl Zeiss Sports Optics. “Carl Zeiss is the leader in hunting optics and we are once again redefining the optics world with leading-edge products that will have a major impact on increasing our ever-growing market share. We are listening to what hunters want and delivering the very best to them at incredibly competitive price points. This new series of 1-inch hunting riflescope will be what all others are measured against”.

This compact riflescope boasts an extremely wide field-of-view in 2-power making it extremely versatile in most close encounters from dense cover to mid-range hunting conditions in more open terrain. The Conquest HD5 2-10x42 is parallax free to 500 yards and is available with either a Z-Plex (#20) reticle or RAPID-Z® 600 or standard hunting turrets.

Conquest HD5 2-10x42 Plex

Conquest HD5 2-10x42 RZ600

The most versatile of the HD5 line, this riflescope has longer range capability, and is built for the mid to long range shooting distant. Extra compact and low profile, the 3-15x42 is the perfect solution for the mobile Western hunter in pursuit of elk, mule deer, antelope or even the hunter climbing mountains in search of sheep. Also, this compact length, low profile scope set at 3x magnification works perfectly for close range and fast acquisition hunting situations. This scope features side parallax adjustment, Z-Plex reticle in either hunting turret or lockable target turret. Also available in RAPID-Z® 600 or RAPID-Z® 800 reticle with hunting turret.

Conquest HD5 3-15x42 Plex

Conquest HD5 3-15x42 RZ 600

Conquest HD5 3-15x42 RZ 800

Conquest HD5 3-15x42 Lock Plex

The most compact high-magnification riflescope in the industry and the most powerful in the HD5 line, this riflescope is perfect for mid to extra-long-range hunting. The wide magnification range provides great flexibility for those shooting in vast Western terrains with magnum calibers or for general varmint and predator control. This scope also features a side parallax adjustment and is available with a Z-Plex reticle with lockable target turret, RAPID-Z® 800 with hunting turret, Rapid-Z® 1000 with lockable target turret or with a RAPID-Z® Varmint reticle and hunting turret.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 17:07
I played around with them at the DSC show last weekend.  Glass was outstanding, at least as far as one can tell inside a building.  I did try my best to look into the far reaches of the celing's darkest nooks and crannies though.  Very sharp and clear as you would imagine.  The eyepiece is still a little bulky compared to the VX3 but my first blush is that they are very, very nice.  One thing I did not like.......if you get one with the lockable elevation turret, it will also come with a lockable windage turret.  I personally would like only the elevation turret like the CDS.  That's probably just personal preference and nitpicking though.  
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 17:20
I don't see Zeiss putting out anything but a top notch product. They have way to much to loose.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2013 at 18:57
At their price point, it can't make selling $2000+ Victory HT's easier I wouldn't think.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 12:51
I am looking forward to checking them out at SHOT and getting a 3-15 Zplex/locking turret in..
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 13:53
I definetly do not want to spend that much on a scope but I might have to punish myself to the 2-10x42 variety with Zplex 600! Only question is if this scope would fit onto my Ruger Hawkeye with the mounts and rings that came with the gun, which are standard 1" rings. Anyone here know if a 42mm objective will fit on the Ruger?
Give me a shot, I won't disappoint!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 15:01
correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most folks junk those rings and get something better or am I thinking of another brand.... Tikka maybe?  Either way, I wouldn't let those rings stop me from getting a Zeiss!  Warne rings are very good and they don't cost more than $29.99 if I remember correctly.
take em!
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 15:18
The Ruger supplied 1" rings are fine for that scope. Some think they are too heavy but others don't mind. They usually supply medium height rings and they will likely work with a 42 mm scope. Ruger will swap out rings also. I think Tip was thinking of the Tikka (supplied rings) which are junk IMO. 
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 15:48

Thanks for the input bugsNbows, knowing that this one should fit on my gun makes it easier to at least make this scope a hopeful in the future. I have also heard nothing but positive things about the supplied ruger rings and they will swap the rings out as well, but don't think I want to swap them. The funny thing is that the two rifles I was thinking of getting were the Ruger Hawkeye or the Tikka T3 Hunter. I went with the Ruger because they were the same price range but the Ruger is made in U.S. and they supplied the mounts/rings as well which I heard are quality mounts/rings. 

Give me a shot, I won't disappoint!
Iron Worker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iron Worker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2013 at 18:44
What about Burris Z rings with the inserts ? What are the inserts for?
Truth isn't relative,its absoulute and objective
Freezuch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freezuch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 11:44
Has anyone tried this scope (2-10x42) on Marlin 336?  Does it make sense to get RZ-600 reticle, given that the effective range of the gun is no more than 200yds?

Thanks!

bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2013 at 14:58
Originally posted by Freezuch Freezuch wrote:

Has anyone tried this scope (2-10x42) on Marlin 336?  Does it make sense to get RZ-600 reticle, given that the effective range of the gun is no more than 200yds?

Thanks!

IMO, that is not the reticle you want / need on that Marlin. FWIW, a good quality fixed power (3 or 4 X) would be ideal for that range.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2013 at 00:21
I bought a 3-12x42 HD5 Conquest about a month ago.  Plus, it was discounted $200 as a sales sample scope which helped with my limited budget.  I mounted the scope with low TPS "W" rings on a Model 70 Super Grade Custom which is my main deer rifle.  Testing and shooting so far, has indicated that this is an excellent scope which compares favorably to my Z3, 4-12x50 Swarovski and 5-15x42 Diavari Victory Zeiss scope, both for contrast and for resolution.

I did  some half hour after sunset testing with an Air Force 1951 resolution chart I  the back yard and the scope was as good as my Zeiss Diavari and Swarovski Z3 scopes despite impending darkness it seemed to gather light quite well.  Grouping shots from the rifle at 200 yards is providing good , small sized groups with a rifle that is a half minute rifle with the right scope and ammunition.
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic