OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Gloss scope for .280

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gloss scope for .280
    Posted: February/10/2013 at 14:46
I bought a Ruger M77 .280 a few weeks ago.  It has a walnut stock, blued barrel and scope rings.  I want to put a gloss scope on it which limits my options.  I'm looking for something in the 3-9 range.  Bushnell elite, Leupold VX 2, and VX 3 seem to be my only decent options.  Elite's eye relief seems short to me.  If it were your gun, which scope would you choose?  TIA!
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2013 at 16:18

Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66125
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System
Leupold 2.5-8x36 VX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66330
  • Gloss
  • Duplex
  • 1"
  • Xtended Twilight Lens System  
  • One of these might work.                                                                                                                                                                        
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2013 at 16:57
I've got a Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 on my X-Bolt 280 and have no problems with eye relief.  It's been a great scope...no complaints at all.

Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle ScopeBushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE3940G
  • Gloss
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • RainGuard® HD
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
$279.00

Tip69 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2013 at 18:11
Originally posted by kaptainQ kaptainQ wrote:

If it were your gun, which scope would you choose?  TIA!

I wouldn't limit myself to gloss if it were mine.    But the VX3 or Elite would be good choices either way!

Do you have a budget?
take em!
kaptainQ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2013 at 19:21
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

If it were your gun, which scope would you choose?  TIA!

I wouldn't limit myself to gloss if it were mine.    But the VX3 or Elite would be good choices either way!

Do you have a budget?

I know its stupid to limit myself to gloss, just a personal preference i guess.  As far as budget goes, id be willing to spend up to the VX3 price if its without question worth it over the Elite and VX2 price points.  
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2013 at 20:06
Plus one on the 2.5 - 8x VX III.  I have a Vari-X III  2.5 - 8x dating from the early 1990s that was successfully used on two different .280s and a .260 Kimber 84M.  It stood up to 10 years of horse hunting in Wyoming, survived one broken .280 and had plenty of magnification for shots approaching 400 yards on deer and a couple coyotes.  Hard to beat for a light weight hunting rig with good optical quality and durability. 
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 07:07
All of those are good choices.  I'd probably go with a Leupy 3.5-10x40 myself.  

If you are on a tight budget you can get a gloss finish Nitrex TR1 for about $100 or a 3-10x50 for a little more if, you know where to look online.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 07:51
Watch eBay. Their is always used gloss leupolds for cheap due to most guys preferring matte finish.
Dont take yourself to seriously
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 07:51
Although discontinued, there are still some gloss Sightron Big Sky 3-9 x 42 scopes out there. I recently put one on a  Ruger 1S. The Sightron BS is very good optically and seems very forgiving of eye position. It's a darn nice scope. If you want to go retro, there is a Weaver available that is also decent. Cool
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 07:56
Leupold VX-3 3.5-10X40 is what I would go with.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/11/2013 at 10:44

As far as budget goes, id be willing to spend up to the VX3 price if its without question worth it over the Elite and VX2 price points.  

Only You can determine if its "worth it"   but being a guy that is also concerned about Eye relief, I know what you mean regarding the Elite's... I have 2 4200 3-9s but they are on .204s.  However, not too sure about the VX3 either... it states:

Eye Relief (in):4.4 - 3.6

not sure at what power the 3.6 is as its only .3 more than the Elite!  I usually set mine on 4 power for hunting and leave it there.  If the VX3 is more like 4" on 4x... then that would be good.  Otherwise, I would save the $$ and go with the Elite.
take em!
grumpy04730 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grumpy04730 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 12:37
I was in the same boat as you I ended up getting 2 elite 3-9 in gloss for a 6.6x55 Ruger and a deluxe 
Weatherby Vanguard. I've had a Bushnell Trophy for a few years but these are My first Elites so far i'm very impressed with them especially for the price.
kaptainQ View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kaptainQ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 17:36
Sightron Big Sky has me intrigued.  Looks like there are a few available.  I have no experience with sightron, i assume they hold up to recoil heavy guns?
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2013 at 18:04
they make quality optics.
take em!
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2013 at 19:42
No problems with Sightron very nice scopes. The gold ring on the leupolds is classy looking on a wood stock IMO. I really like the VX3's, decent optics, dependable and now competitively priced.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2013 at 12:17
I would go with the VX3 series because the god rings really do look nice on wood and, IMHO, are baetter scopes than the Bushnell Elites.
CDR3
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2013 at 12:17
I would go with the VX3 series because the gold rings really do look nice on wood and, IMHO, are baetter scopes than the Bushnell Elites.
CDR3
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic