OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

wearing glasses and rifle scopes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wearing glasses and rifle scopes
    Posted: February/21/2013 at 14:41
Hi, i wear glasses and i have been trying to understand why i can not see the target pin sharp through a Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 ir scope but i can through a less expensive Redfield Revolution 4-12x40?

I seem to be forever trying to adjust the eyepiece on the Zeiss, in comparison it doesn't seem to have very good depth of field either, even at infinity. I have found this is to be the same in three identical Ziess scopes. The Redfield has better edge to edge clarity too.

I at first doubted my glasses but then i used them on both scopes side by side. Has anyone experienced this or can suggest a solution please, i would like to continue with the Zeiss?
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2013 at 21:42
Depending on the corrections made by the prescription it can have an effect on the view. I have to take my glasses off to see well with a scope. My progressive cut lens plays havoc when trying to use them looking thru the scope. My best guess the difference between the scopes you are using is in the lens design and eye relief. The glasses are adversely altering the light path before it reaches the focal point for the eye.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2013 at 22:01
Originally posted by mk1 mk1 wrote:

I seem to be forever trying to adjust the eyepiece on the Zeiss,

I am not positive, but I think that the eyepiece adjustment is for focusing the reticle and not the image. And once you have focused the reticle you do not need to adjust it again.

mk1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2013 at 04:11
Sparky, that is what i believe too. I don't need the touch the eyepiece on the Redfield scope but in the battle to get the Zeiss pin sharp i am trying anything. With the Redfield i can look at something at say 100yards and then look at something at 150yards, without touching the scope and all is pin sharp but i find i'm having to tweek the Zeiss as i find it's depth of field a problem.
Dogger View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2013 at 12:43
Excerpt from What Is Parallax Anyway?  from the FAQ section at the main menu 

HOW TO SET UP A SCOPE!
This is the only way to do it...
First, screw the eyepiece out (CCW) all the way, until it stops.
If you wear glasses, put them on.
Hold the scope up and look OVER the scope at the sky, and relax your eyes. Then move the scope in front of your eye.
The reticle should look fuzzy
Turn the eyepiece in 1/2 turn, and do the same thing again. You will have to do for a while before the reticle starts to look better. When you start getting close, then turn the eyepiece 1/4 turn each time.
Do this until the reticle is fully sharp and fully BLACK immediately when you look through the scope.
Than back off one turn and do it again to make sure you are in the same place.
Then LOCK the ring on the eyepiece, and leave it alone forever!
God save the Empire!
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2013 at 18:00
A place I have overlooked, despite coming here all the time (or maybe because of it). Thanks for the reminder, Dogger.
Reaction time is a factor...
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 06:46
Good beginner info here often over looked
Dont take yourself to seriously
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 08:20
Originally posted by Dogger Dogger wrote:

HOW TO SET UP A SCOPE!
Hold the scope up and look OVER the scope at the sky, and relax your eyes. Then move the scope in front of your eye.
Turn the eyepiece in 1/2 turn, and do the same thing again. You will have to do for a while before the reticle starts to look better. When you start getting close, then turn the eyepiece 1/4 turn each time.
Do this until the reticle is fully sharp and fully BLACK immediately when you look through the scope.

Fundamentals cannot be overstated. Great post, Mr. Craig. 

I often wonder how many "scope issues" I read here and abroad, are the result of operator error.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 08:52
Good post and I agree.  I do like to take it a step farther though.  After getting the reticle sharp, as you guys said, you can also adjust it to get the target (my case 200 yards) sharply focused too, while keeping the reticle sharp.  
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 11:23
Good post Dogger.Myself I wear Bi-Focals so it's easier to not wear my glasses when I shoot.My glasses also fog up when I'm hunting & I get ready to take a shot, also happens when shooting  my long bow!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 12:12

HOW TO SET UP A SCOPE!

Great explanation. Also, keep in mind, the "Euro style" type eyepieces (think Conquest) have no lock ring and don't rely on ultra fine theads (think Leupold) so their turn to focus distance is much shorter.

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 12:24

HOW TO SET UP A SCOPE!

Very good info. But I would add one thing if the scope has either and AO or a side focus to set either to infinity before adjusting the reticle focus.
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/28/2013 at 22:09
Also set the power to max when trying to get the best in focus reticle.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2013 at 15:34
I have a different pair I wear when looking thru scopes.  not bifocals and the lens is bigger, so that when I tilt my head/chin down on the stock.. I'm still looking thru the lens of my glasses... and not over the top of them.  Or even worse, having the top of my glasses right at eye level.. so I'm seeing thru the lens and over them at same time!

I've noticed that the longer I look thru a scope.. like at the range ... both my eyes get tired and I have to get up and walk around a bit.  I think glasses and keeping my left eye shut tires them out quicker.
take em!
powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2013 at 17:32
Several years ago before I got my glasses my long time hunting buddy and I use to rag on each other about not getting the crosshairs aligned on each of our rifles. He seemed to always think mine were canted to the left and his always looked canted to the right to my eye. Upon finally succumbing to glasses I looked through one of my scopes and wow they were canted and when I looked thru his they were straight. Took off my glasses and things went back to the way they were before. I finally figured out that the curvature of the lens in our glasses was the culprit since I tend to actually look at the inside quadrant of my glasses rather than the center when shooting a rifle due to my head position on the stock.
mk1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2013 at 03:39
So, Powderburn, what did you do, did you simply re sight your scope to suit your new glasses or did you get a pair specially made or something?
anweis View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anweis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2013 at 17:40
You must carefully and patiently set a target with bars and shapes, or a newspaper, at 100 yards. After that, set the zoom on the scope at mid-power and start adjusting the diopter ring of the scope until you see both the image and the reticle very well. I wear glasses, i experience the same on every new scope i purchase, or any other optic for that matter, until i play with the diopter adjustment. 
I've met just the other day a lady with a pair of binoculars, same problem. It's about adjusting the diopter.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic