OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

What should I get???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2013 at 17:00
Originally posted by Peddler Peddler wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

If you are going to use it as a hunting rifle and do not want to break the bank on ammo. I thing the 308 is probably still a good choice. I still like the 260 Rem or the 6.5 Creedmore better for targets though. But I have heard from a number of people that they were not as happy with it for a hunting caliber.

So for an excellent 308 rifle around a $1000 I would have to go with a Remington 700 SS 5R. I have one and I am very pleased with it.

Don't knock the 6.5 Creedmoor for hunting I bought one for my wife last year and it's a killer!!!

Peddler Excellent Excellent Excellent

As I reread my comments I was a little vague to say the least. I should have qualified it with what size game. The comments I heard were concerning Elk and hogs mainly. Also I would say that they liked it when their target dropped in it's tracks. Your experience may vary. Plus I remember reading the comments of a member here on the 260 as a hunting caliber by RC.

http://www.opticstalk.com/260-vs-308-on-ar-platform_topic34630_post497077.html?KW=260#497077
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2013 at 19:20
The savage rifles are very good shooting rifles right out of the box.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - March/06/2013 at 18:36

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 09:27
Originally posted by first_shot_kill> first_shot_kill> wrote:

It would also be my hunting rifle. Actually shooting 1000 yards would not happen very often. It's just something I really want to try before I die. :) Hopefully though, I will be able to afford to go and buy a rifle that I only use to shoot the targets most cant even see. :) (my dream is a .408 Chey Tac)

Make any sense? Or is this a dumb idea?

I don't have the experience that some of the guys here do with shooting long range... but what I do think is that its not very realistic to have a Hunting rifle and a 1000 yrd target rifle in one set up.  I guess it depends on what you mean by hunting rifle... to me it means making a shot as close as 50 yards.   Pretty hard to get the optics set up to shoot 50 and 1000 yds out of most rounds, especially a .308
take em!
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 10:44
True it might be a challenge for some scopes but, as I usually do, I'm either packin my .357 or my bow as well. If I get a shot inside 50yds I prefer the bow. For those who don't care for the bow a good hard hitting handgun is always a good close range backup. Next yr I'll have to see if the low end 6X would prevent me from makin a 40-50yd shot. I don't tnink it would......
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
first_shot_kill> View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first_shot_kill> Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 11:26
The rifle would be zeroed at around 300-500 yards. Then come rifle season, I would zero it at 100. I just want the rifle to be good enough quality so that when I get the chance, I can shoot 1000. I also want it to be a more popular caliber so I can go into most stores and pick up some rounds, and so I dont go broke every time I shoot. I am sure that the 6.5 kills deer just fine, but (at least where I live) its not real popular, and for the price it is, I would rather just buy 7mm or 300 ammo. 
Attack where they are unprepared, appear where you are unexpected.

Death is nothing. But to live defeated and without glory, that is to die every day.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first_shot_kill> Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 11:33
HeySgt. D,  funny you should mention that. I just got a bow. Needs restrung though. Its an older one, so its closer to a heavy beast than light and graceful :) But for the price, a gift from my uncle, it would have been stupid to not take it.

Death is nothing. But to live defeated and without glory, that is to die every day.
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 12:35
Be careful!! If you fall in love with bowhunting like some of us your pockets are gonna get even lighter. But and on a serious note also be careful not to start with substandard equipment. A deal is only good if it gets you where you want to be. If you already have experience with a bow then I'm preaching to the choir. Otherwise get with a bow tech or someone you beleive has above average knowledge of bows and bow set up and have your stuff checked over good. Make sure it fits your draw length and all parts are in good condition. Then if you don't have experience shooting you need someone to help you with shooting form. The sayin "pratice makes perfect" is NOT true. If you pratice bad habits then you perfect bad habits. Only perfect pratice makes perfect. good luck on both ventures.

P.S. You might want to start lookin that second job!!!
Take care of Soldiers, Show em how its done and do it with em, Run to the Fight & and hold your ground! I die my men go home! If you're a NCO and this ain't you. GET OUT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first_shot_kill> Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 12:52
My uncle has been a bowhunter for about 30 years and has always bough high quality gear. We did measure my draw length to make sure the bow would work. I have some (not sure how to measure) experience shooting. My current groups at 25 yards are within 2-3".

And yes. If I plan on playing with these toys, that second job is going to be a must have unless God provides a better one than what I currently have.

Thanks for the input!

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 15:32
what I'm saying is............  It sounds to me like you want a hunting rifle....  right now you could use a hunting rifle..... and down the road a piece....you'd like to get into shooting long range.    Do yourself a HUGE favor and buy what you are going to use NOW....   not what you might use in the future!

You are pretty much talking about two totally different applications.  Get yourself a decent hunting rig and shoot the poop out of it.  A 308 is nice... but so is the 30-06 and 270.  You can pick up a nice Savage or Rem for around $500.00 if you look and you can get a nice scope for the same or a less.

then start saving for a long range set up!  You'd be surprised how fast the time will go by while you are saving and before you know it, you will have the $$ to get a nice long range outfit.   Believe me... you will be much happier if you do!
take em!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 15:51
Tip makes a good point.

But if you are set on getting one and using it for both, a good setup for both hunting and precision shooting would be a Remington 5r in .308 with a 20" barrel and a SWFA SS 3-9x.  It would do all you want and do both roles pretty well.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first_shot_kill> Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 17:16
I know for sure that I will end up with 2. Just want the first one to do a little of both, heavier on the precision side. Smile

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 18:47
The stores I went into today had NO .308 ammo or brass and limited bullets and powder.  They did have quite a bit of 30-06 which is a fine choice to learn on as it has less recoil than the magnums and loaded ammo cost about the same as .308 but isnt it nice to actually be able to find ammo. The 270 ammo was also readily available as was 300 WM and 7mm Mag. At the rate things are disappearing you would be well advised to buy a 30-06 or a 300 WM and whatever ammo you can find minimum of 200 rounds. The R5 Mil Spec comes in 300 WM but they were hard to find before this madness but I think you may be in luck if you move quickly. 
Here is your rifle:

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sgt. D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sgt. D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2013 at 21:33
+100 on the 300WM. Its what I've carried the past two yrs and I have other rifles to choose from. Its over kill for deer in my area but dead is dead and with my 300WM if I can see it I can reach it. I loaded Berger 168 VLD but just ordered some Berger 185's just to see what I can get out of her. And one thing you can count on. The 300WM will do all that you have been sayin you want to do. And do it well!!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2013 at 08:16
My 300 win mag is on a strick diet of heavy pills.  Mainly Berger hybrid 230's
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2013 at 11:30
Well it looks like somebody bought it - Did you get your rifle?

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first_shot_kill> Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2013 at 18:25
No. Gotta keep saving. Right now I am broke as a lamp dropped from a rooftop. lol

pmac36 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmac36 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/31/2013 at 08:39
keep shooting friend, as clint eastwood once said " IF I COULD SHOOT A MANS HAT OFF HIS HEAD AT 50 YRDS ID GIVE UP ACTING IN THE MORNING"Excellent
long runs the wolf...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic