OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Advise on Swarovski binos needed

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advise on Swarovski binos needed
    Posted: March/10/2013 at 12:14
I can a buy a pair of new, leather Swarovski 8x20's for $425 from my uncle.  I don't have much of a need for them but I would like them for hiking.  Do you guys think it's a good deal?
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 12:35
Well SWFA has them for $739 new.  So as far as the $$'s go it seem OK to me.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

THEMAKKER13 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2013 at 14:35
Thanks.  Any advice on similarly priced pocket binos that would be better?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 17:22
Can anyone compare them to the Leica?  Also, what's the difference between the Trinovid and Ultravid?
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 17:56
Originally posted by THEMAKKER13 THEMAKKER13 wrote:

Can anyone compare them to the Leica?  Also, what's the difference between the Trinovid and Ultravid?

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbarchive/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1766625/page/2/view/expanded/sb/5/o/o/fpart/all/vc/1

Edited by RifleDude - March/11/2013 at 19:49
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 19:51
Made your link "hot" for you so it's easier for folks to navigate to it, Bird Watcher. Hope you don't mind.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 20:10
Originally posted by THEMAKKER13 THEMAKKER13 wrote:

Though I'm generally not a fan of 20mm and smaller objective "pocket" binos because I don't like the performance tradeoffs you have to accept for the tiny size, neither Swaro nor Leica make anything but top-drawer optics. If you've gotta go with tiny binos, you can't do any better. You'll never get a consensus on which is "better" though.

The difference between the Trinovid and Ultravid series:
1. Ultravid is a slight optical upgrade from Trinovid, and uses all of Leica's best, most current technology.
2. Given the same or similar config binos from both series, U-vid is lighter.
3. U-vid HD reportedly has higher light transmission.
4. U-vid HD has "Aqua-Dura" hydrophobic outer lens coating, which sheds water, oil, and dirt much like wax on a car finish.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 22:54
Thanks for the info.  I've played around with my uncle's Swarovskis and I wasn't all that impressed.  I suppose they would make my Chinese Vanguards look like crap, but they definitely didn't.  I also didn't like the eye-cups.  However, for $425, I think it's a good deal.  Would the Swarovskis still be comparable to the Trinovids?  (The lower end Leica model, I suppose).
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2013 at 22:56
Not sure how to edit my previous post.  I mean to say, "I thought they would make my Chinese" etc..
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 00:06
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

Made your link "hot" for you so it's easier for folks to navigate to it, Bird Watcher. Hope you don't mind.

Hot links? Sounds more like a sausage to me. 8>)

No, I don't mind. Thanks!

They always used to come through Hot, but not any more.

I must have messed something up (settings?) along the way.

I no longer can access Emoticons either. 8>(

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THEMAKKER13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2013 at 14:09
Thanks Rifledude
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic