OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Air Rifle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2013 at 09:43
I won't claim it is the best but I bought a Beeman R9 Goldfinger in 20 cal.

Came with a BUSHNELL Banner 4-12x40 AO

It will drive thumbtacks at 30 yards and crows and squirrels at 50

I run the Beeman FTS pellets in it.
The wood is nice, has a good feel and a fantastic trigger that can be set very, very light.

I also have a Beeman P3 .177 pistol
It is also fantastic

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Gil P. View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/01/2013 at 17:07
I second the opinion on the R9. Its a good balance between power and accuracy. You can really stack those pellets right on top of each other.

http://www.straightshooters.com/beeman-rx2-.22-laminate.html

Or you can try this one, a Beeman RX2. Its magnum powered and uses a gas ram, but at almost $900, not cheap either. Another plus about a gas ram is that you can keep it cocked for extended periods of time and not worry about wearing out the spring.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
rogn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2014 at 22:32
One of the good compromises is the RWS 350 series, wood or Rubbermaid. The price ranges from about 260$ upto about 375$ depending where you buy it and what stock. Its ,in 177, its supersonic with any pellet lighter than the Crossman heavy premier(10.9 gr). Its quite accurate, capable of 1/2' at 35yds w/aperture sights.The trigger is adjustable, 2 stage as most springers, and is very easy to use. Its through and thru penetration on a big boar possum. It is heavy however and the cocking effort is considerable. It has also broken one scope to date. The noise level is mild, about like dropping a shoe on a concrete walk. As mentioned depending on your target, the impact may be louder. I wish they made it in 5mm. Springers only need a strong arm and a bunch of pellets along with a yearly lube job. Precharged need a bit  of parapherinailia to function, an air pump and adapters, or a scuba tank and adapters. Id love to get a PCP but Ive been put off by the extra equipment. There is no doubt that they can be more powerful than springers and can be moded to be quiet.Accuracy with almost no recoil are also some real plusses. Another superb springer are the AirArms series. They are a tad more pricey , but are exceedingly accurate, like 1/2' at 50M. Again I wish they came in 5mm.
machi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/10/2014 at 12:35
I would recommend two brands:

- Weihrauch (Beemans high ends rifles are weihrauch)  http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/seiten/englisch/weitschussluftgewehre/e_weitschussluftgewehre.html

- Dianawerk (RWS) http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.php?id=102&L=1&width=1920&height=1200

They both make really good springers in quality and accuracy. Both have springers that are underlever or sidelever (fixed barrel, very accurate)

I have a Weihrauch HW95 (Beeman R9). Awsome springer, very accurate and decent power (700 FPS in .22).

If you can afford them, buy one of those.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/11/2014 at 23:57
RWS 34 is a good squirrel rifle well worth the investment.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 09:48
I am thinking my next air rifle will be the Benjamin Marauder .25 Cal. I want something quieter. It is supposed to be a lot more quiet than the Air Force.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 10:12
I've always wondered about the air force rifles though, they seem pretty cool.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 12:18
They are nice but are as loud as a 22. I find it difficult to get behind the scope because the tank is the stock. They are accurate with none of the funky recoil of a springer. The newer Air Force lines come with a shrouded barrel and will be more quiet than mine. If you get one, go for the .25 cal It has more accuracy and stopping power. The .177 gets unstable at longer range. Pellet selection is key. Some of the lighter pellets seem to lose the skirt when shot at high power.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 12:38
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I've always wondered about the air force rifles though, they seem pretty cool.

What do you want to know? I have a Condor .22 cal. It shoots great, though it is pretty loud. I don't think it's quite as loud as a .22LR. My only real complaint about it, apart from the fact you need a scuba tank to charge the cylinder, is I don't care for the cheap feeling, "jiggly" safety lever in front of the trigger. They've redesigned the safety since I bought mine, so the new ones may be much better.

The "SS" models (Condor SS and Talon SS) have the built-in "suppressor" barrel shroud, and are much quieter.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 12:42
What would be the advantage of them over a regular 22?
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 13:03
Advantages vs. .22LR:
- Much cheaper to shoot
- Nowhere close to the effective range of a .22LR, so in many cases, you can use it for pest control in your yard in complete safety. My neighbors are far enough away from me in several directions that I kill squirrels in my yard all the time with mine.
- Though loud, not as loud as a .22LR
- No ammo shortage

They have Lothar Walther barrels, so they're pretty accurate, and no springer type airgun I'm aware of can match their velocity.

Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 14:03
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Yang_Big_Bore_909S/516   You might find this interesting, it's  .45 cal

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Diana_RWS_34_Breakbarrel_Rifle_T06_Trigger/402  I have and RWS 34 that I find adequate for squirrels but there are a lot of choices out there depending on your tollerance for cost.   Also note that not too many scopes will hold up to the type of vibration an air rifle spring makes so be sure any scope you put on it is made for air rifles or go cheap and replace as needed.

You once YELLED at me for buying a cheap scope... (though I still have it and use it)...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2014 at 18:52
I think the .177 is louder than the .22 or the .25. The older ones before you could tune the air release are louder and have fewer shots on a charge.

machi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote machi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2014 at 18:20
There are lots of good PCPs, I think the air force wouldnt be the best pick.

Benjamin Marauder is a good bang for the buck and is silent, but there are better airguns.

Air Arms rifles are good (spring guns and PCPs, with lothar walther barrels) and most of the English manufacturers (Daystate) make good rifles.

FX guns are also good (have smooth twist barrels).

Edgun bullpup rifles and Kalibr gun bullpup rifles are really good. (I think both have lothar walther barrels)

Weihrauch and Diana make PCPs too, but i dont have too much info on them.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2014 at 13:15
Not a Springer, but you might have a look at the Daystate airwolf and it's variance. But in most cases there is quite a difference in the rifle that you would take to the bench to proclaim the most accurate. And the one that you would take to the field to proclaim it to be the most accurate field or hunting rifle.

FX, is another company that makes very fine rifles to consider. Before anyone could get serious about answering such a question one might need to know it's intended use. And maybe preference in caliber and also if there are budget constraints to consider.

I'm in agreements with the fellow who mentioned the PCP configuration they seem to be preferred by many as a field or bench rifle. But also they tend to be at the top of the price range for most manufacturers. Another good question that might follow your choice of rifle would be "What is the most accurate pellet out there"? And of course this relies very heavily on rifle choice as they each tend to like what they like not allowing the convenience of one-size-fits-all if you will.

Edited by REP - December/21/2014 at 13:25
Enough is to much.
REP View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/21/2014 at 15:08
Good info, thanks for that. I am considering the latest version of FX's bobcats in 25 caliber. I'll check out the bull pups you mentioned as I wouldn't be too angry at finding an offering of equal quality and design without the $2000 price tag to go along with it. LOL

Oh, and too the originator of this string, I meant to mention the FX BOBCAT to you as well, I hope this serves. Very intriguing rifle that has undergone a very quick evolution of improvement thanks to customers volunteering their ideas for improvement and a company like FX that are quick to see a good idea and act on it.
Enough is to much.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2015 at 16:30
I just got an Air Arms TX2OO HC. I am in love!  Those Brits can do airguns justice.

Edited by bugsNbows - January/04/2015 at 13:06
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Elpipa View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elpipa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/09/2015 at 12:08
most accurate spring gun is air arms xt 200 4.5cal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic