OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 vs Leupold Mk 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 vs Leupold Mk 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 vs Leupold Mk 4 ER/T 6.5-20x50
    Posted: April/22/2013 at 21:32
can you guys weigh in on the glass clarity between both? 
josh623 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 21:35
I am specifically wanting input from those of you who have experience with both scopes... If you only have experience with one or the other that may alter your opinion =) I can't find much in the way of comparison on the glass of these two scopes, and believe me, i've looked!
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 23:09
I have the SS 5-20x50 illuminated model and the Leupold Mk4   8.5-25x50 illuminated so I know both scopes very well.  I probably should have bought the 6.5-20x50 rather than the 8.5-25x50 but I didnt.  Even though I have two M1 knob type Leupold Mk 4 scopes that one and an FFP 3.5-10 I always feel like the knobs are too tall on the Leupold which increases lieklyhood that tree branches etc may adjust them for you. As far as what knob I like best the U.S. Optics  EREK type knob lays really flat compared to the rest.  Obviously I would not still have both after several years of ownership if I did not like both, but I will say that so long as there are SS 5-20x50 s available I would never buy another Leupold Mk 4. Now some of the other high end tactical optics I would definately buy if I could afford to drop what they cost into a scope.  Heinsoldt being first pick and Premier being a very close second followed by U.S. Optics and after that Nightforce. I will say that for what the Super Sniper 5-20x50 cost there is nothing else on the market that is in that price range that is anywhere near as nice the glass is awesome and better than my Mk4 s.  I also think that if I were to buy another one I would not spend the additional money on the illumination but I do have other illuminated optics  one of which is a 5-20x50 Trijicon Accupoint which while it is not a true long range scope due to its limited 50 moa of internal adjustment I believe the tritium & fiber optic illumination system is the best illumination system.  When I bought the 8.5-25x50 illuminated only the mil dot version was available the newer TMR reticle is superior and I have that in the FFP Mk4.  I prefer 1/10 mil clicks over the 1/4 moa clicks so that the adjustments and reticle are in the same incrimental values. Some other manufacturers build reticles based on MOA and using 1/4 MOA clicks so  some companies are starting to understand that it makes no sense to have a reticle in one type of adjustment and the knobs in a different type.
You can buy the SS with confidence and rest assured that you have the better of the two scopes you mentioned.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2013 at 23:27

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
josh623 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 11:45
Thanks for the info! My only holdup is that I've heard very good things about Leupold's warranty (covers everything even Accidents) whereas swfa is just lifetime for manufacture defects. swfa definitely seems to be the best glass though.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 13:08
I've seen quite a few Leupold Mk 4 6.5-20's and none of them had glass even close to as good as the SS 5-20.  However it has been a few years and non of them were the latest ER/T's so they may have improved since then.

I believe Vortex is the only company that puts in writing that they'll cover accidents.  While we've all heard numerous stories of Leupold replacing scopes due to accidents, every one I've heard of has been some $300 hunting scope.  I've never heard of them doing this with a $1700 Tactical scope.  So I wouldn't bet on it.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 18:07
Originally posted by josh623 josh623 wrote:

Thanks for the info! My only holdup is that I've heard very good things about Leupold's warranty (covers everything even Accidents) whereas swfa is just lifetime for manufacture defects. swfa definitely seems to be the best glass though.

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Do you post over at Sniper Central? 

SWFA will back their products, so rest assured, friend. If you have problems, just call the good folks over at SWFA and give them a chance to help you. Install questions, or product usage questions, just log into to here and let the membership help you out. 

Good shooting. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/23/2013 at 20:15
don't let leupolds warranty fool ya, they cover defects only, and take FOREVER. if you want crazy good warranty, go nightforce or vortex.
josh623 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote josh623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/24/2013 at 14:09
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by josh623 josh623 wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk.

Do you post over at Sniper Central? 

SWFA will back their products, so rest assured, friend. If you have problems, just call the good folks over at SWFA and give them a chance to help you. Install questions, or product usage questions, just log into to here and let the membership help you out. 

Good shooting. 

No I didn't. Thanks for all the help guys! I think it's between the vortex razor or the ss hd.... The razor is a lot more $ though. I think the ss my be the way to go :-)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic