OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Shotgun / BlackPowder Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Building a 12 guage 11-87 whitetail hunting rig
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Building a 12 guage 11-87 whitetail hunting rig

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ggerg1186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a 12 guage 11-87 whitetail hunting rig
    Posted: May/14/2013 at 17:56
Didn't see a new member introduction area...but I figured I will start here. 
I have 4 guns that I want to purchase optics for, but my top priority is for the latest edition to my safe...an 11-87 Remington 12 guage.  I purchased the gun used with a bird barrel and OEM walnut stock, but have finally purchased all of the components to build my newest deer hunting rig.  (Most of Iowa is shotgun only)

I bought the Remington brand 21" slug barrel, fully rifled with the cantilevered scope mount
I plan to shoot Hornady 2-3/4" plastic sabot rounds

I have heard this combo is good to 175-200 yards and I am looking for a scope to match the capability of the shotgun.  My current spend limit is about $250 unless someone can tell me what return I get for spending more than that with my expected target range.  I would be hard pressed to mount a scope that is worth more than the shotgun itself.  (I can be reasoned with, but my wife....Big Grin)

I probably do not need more than 3-9 power.  I have a mill and a lathe so I can build custom scope mounts for larger objective lenses.  (currently thinking 40-50mm). 

I have a 12ga used for bird shot, so I do not plan to dissassemble the 11-87 once it is set up for deer hunting.  This 11-87 will be used exclusively for target practice and deer hunting.

Any input is appreciated, but I will be searching and lurking for a bit to see what others answers are available.  Feel free to post a link if this question has been answered elsewhere.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/15/2013 at 08:02

Some recommendations to gander at -

Vortex 2-7x35 Diamondback Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 2-7x35 Diamondback Rifle Scope
Stock # - DBK07BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"
$189.95 
Add Vortex 2-7x35 Diamondback Rifle Scope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

Vortex has one of the best warranties in the industries.  I have used this exact scope on a 30/30 levergun and its a great fit.  The gun is my cousins and his comfort level on a shot is about 200yds.  When I sighted it in I took it out to 200 yds using the holdover marks.  Worked like a charm.  Just have to spend some time and know what each hold mark equates to with your load.   Would be top on my list if it were my choosing.

Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope Burris 2-7x35 Fullfield E1 Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUR200317
  • Matte
  • Ballistic Plex E1
  • 1"
$198.95 
I have grown to really like this reticle in the E1's.   I have/had one in 3-9 and it worked great once I practiced with it.  I used it on a blackout and had pretty good results out to 350 with it. With time at the range the holdovers for both elevation and windage could make it a very quick and deadly combo.

Sightron 3-9x42 SII Riflescope Hunter Holdover Reticle Sightron 3-9x42 SII Riflescope
Stock # - SII39X42HHR
$274.95 
Add Sightron 3-9x42 SII Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

The sightron SII has a great reputation and good glass.  With the holdover reticle again you have some time at the range developing and then you will have a great and fast combo. 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2013 at 15:26
  I'd get the barrel pinned and put a 4X or 6X by 40MM on it. Don't especially like the cantilever but you already have it.

Cool Cool Cool

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic