OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Manual?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Manual?
    Posted: June/22/2013 at 05:01
(first I have to say/write that english is not my native language and I apologize in advance for all and any misspelled parts in my posts.)

I just aquired a Super Sniper 10x42 m Tactical.

My question is: Where can I get a manual for it? Since I bought it used there was no manual included.

Thanks

Jonah
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2013 at 08:27
What information do you need?
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JHoel View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JHoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2013 at 08:30
An operation manual for the scope so that I dont have to spam this great forum whenever I have a question.

Thanks in advance

Jonah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2013 at 23:47
Originally posted by JHoel JHoel wrote:

An operation manual for the scope so that I dont have to spam this great forum whenever I have a question.

Thanks in advance

Jonah

The Mods nor the forum membership would consider it "spamming" merely asking questions concerning the features or function of the SS rifle scope, my friend. It's what we do here. Wink
Most questions concerning the SS scopes have been asked and answered on this fine forum multiple times over the years and can be obtained by utilizing the forum search function. 

However, some spec questions you may have, might be answered by reading the SS website. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2013 at 23:48
And welcome to Optics Talk. 
MZ5 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MZ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2013 at 10:05
Originally posted by JHoel JHoel wrote:

My question is: Where can I get a manual for it?

Welcome!

The answer to your question is:  Nowhere.  There is no operator's nor technical manual for those scopes.  You simply have to ask someone if/when you don't know something.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2013 at 10:23
Well, there WAS a manual that came out with the SS, but the manual was still labeled by Tasco. My beloved 10x rear focus SS came with one. 

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2013 at 11:57
I have a manual in front of me it came in English, French, Spanish, Italian, and German. Quite frankly the manual is not that helpful. Shocked   The scope is relatively simple. The top knob adjust up and down the side knob adjust left and right.  Depending on when the scope was made it will either be the older 1/4moa clicks or the newer  1/10 Mil clicks.  All of the ones with 1/10 mil clicks have the Mil Quad reticle which has lines not dots.   Some of the 10x models have a side focus on the left side which is parallax (focus) the rest have a ring around the back of the scope where one usually finds magnification adjustment on a variable power scope.  There is one other adjustment on the back of the scope which adjusts to your eye. To set that one look toward the sky and turn it until the crosshair looks very sharp looking away and looking back will help you to get it to its best adjustment point.   To initially zero the rifle once the scope is mounted set a cardboard box at 20 to 25 yds with a mark in the middle and shoot a hole to see how high or low the bullet impact is then adjust and try again. Once you are close move the target to 50 or 100 yds and  get it close there.  Select to either zero at 100 yds or 200 yds based on where you will shoot most often.   Run a balistic program so that you know what your bullet will do at different distances and practice at different distances.   These scopes have three hex screws on the Turret adjustments and to reset the Turret to Zero you loosen the screws pull up and then move to position and press down and re-tighten the screws.   http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj-5.1.cgi
http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/swfa  aftermarket turrets can be custom engraved to reflect the balistics of your specific cartridge, elevation etc.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/23/2013 at 12:02
SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Mil-Dot SWFA SS 16x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS16X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 
SWFA SS 12x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 12x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS12X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • .10 Mrad
$299.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 17:12
Can anyone tell me how much elevation and windage the mil/mil version of the 10x42 ss $299 scope has. The only thing i can find is the review snipercentral reviewd stating that the moa version has which was 156 moa elevation. Can someone please clarify. The swfa website for total elevation and windage just says mil for each category.
Stevel610 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevel610 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 19:10
You can turn it all the way down then count the mils as you turn it to the top until it stops. Do the same with the side for total windage.

Iowa Fox View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowa Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 19:55
How about the rear focus? 
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2016 at 19:58
Introducing the latest additions to the SWFA SS scope line.

• First, we will introduce the SWFA SS 3-15x42 MQDM SFP. On the outside it is almost identical to our existing SWFA SS 3-15x42 FFP. However, the reticle in this 3-15x42 is based off of the extremely popular 1-4x24 MQDM we released last year. Like its predecessor, this scope also has a reticle in the second focal plane which gives you better target acquisition on low magnification while maintaining its ability to range and provide aiming points at max magnification.   

• It utilizes a Mil based reticle and has the ability to provide the shooter with accurate target distances utilizing the built in target ranging references. The ranging references can be used to range various objects in various sizes. You can range anything 72", 36", or 24" tall as well as any object 18" wide. This gives you the ability to range objects such as human silhouettes, IPSC silhouettes, deer, hogs, or even coyotes.

• The exposed knobs have .1 Mil Adjustments per click and 5 Mils per revolution.

• The power ring comes threaded for a throw lever, which is included. This gives you the ability to rapidly zoom in and out. 

Specs
Exit Pupil:                                 2.8mm - 11.8mm
Weight:                                     23.7 oz
Length:                                     13.5"
Field of View @ 100yds:           7.21 - 34.72 ft 
Field of View @ 100m:              2.4 - 10.6m  
Eye Relief (in):                          4.3
Diopter Compensation:            
-2 ~ +1 dpr 
Click Adjustment Value:            0.1 MRAD 
Adjustment Per Revoultion:       5 Mil
Total Elevation Adjustment:       36 Mils

Total Windage Adjustment:        36 Mils

Type of Reticle:                          Mil-Quad DM
Focal Plane:                               2nd 
Coating:                                      Fully Multi Coated 
Waterproof:                                Yes 
Fogproof:                                    Yes 
Shockproof:                                Yes

SWFA 3-15x42 MQDM SFP with Subtensions (Click to Zoom):

SWFA 3-15x42 MQDM SFP (Click to Zoom):

Aiming Points
Unlike the 1-4x24 we released last year this reticle in the new Second Focal Plane 3-15x42 has the ability, due to its higher magnification, to easily utilize not only the outer vertices of the diamond as aiming points but also the inner vertices, giving you five aiming points instead of three. 

These aiming points can be used for a wide variety of calibers. Below are some examples of how this could be utilized with a few different calibers.

Actual point of impact vs. point aim:

M852 7.62 168 Grain @ 2600 FPS
Aiming point 1: 200 yard ZERO
Aiming Point 2: 225 yards (.05 Mils High)
Aiming Point 3: 300 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 4: 350 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 5: 375 yards (.00 Mils Off)

M80 7.62 147 Grain @ 2850 FPS
Aiming Point 3: 300 yards (.05 Mils High)
Aiming Point 4: 375 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 5: 400 yards (.00 Mils Off)

M118LR 7.62 175 Grain @ 2600 FPS
Aiming Point 3: 300 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 4: 350 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 5: 375 yards (.00 Mils Off)

6.5 Grendel 123 Grain @ 2350 FPS
Aiming point 1: 100 yard ZERO
Aiming Point 2: 150 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 3: 200 yards (.05 Mils High)
Aiming Point 4: 250 yards (.05 Mils High)
Aiming Point 5: 300 yards (.20 Mils Low)

6.8 SPC 110 Grain @ 2550 FPS
Aiming Point 1: 100 yard ZERO
Aiming Point 2: 150 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 3: 200 yards (.05 Mils High)
Aiming Point 4: 250 yards (.05 Mils High)
Aiming Point 5: 300 yards (.20 Mils Low)

.204 Ruger 40 Grain @ 3900 FPS
Aiming point 1: 100 yard ZERO
Aiming Point 2: 200 yards (.05 Mils High)
Aiming Point 3: 325 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 4: 425 yards (.05 Mils Low)
Aiming Point 5: 450 yards (.00 Mils Off)

Target Ranging References

All of the target ranging references are calibrated for 72" height as well as 18" width.

To use it for 36" tall targets simply divide your range shown on the reticle by 2 and for 24" tall targets divide by 3. Examples are listed below.

The target below is a 72" tall silhouette of a human. Considering it is 72" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 800 yard target ranging indicator this target is 800 yards away. 

The target below is a 72" tall silhouette of a human. Considering it is 72" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 200 yard target ranging indicator this target is 200 yards away.

The target below is a 18" wide silhouette of a human. Considering it is 18" wide and fits just on top of our 300 yard target ranging indicator this target is 300 yards away.

The target below is a 36" shoulder height silhouette of a deer. Considering it is 36" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 400 yard target ranging indicator this target is 200 yards away. It is 200 yards away and not 400 yards because we are using a target that is half the height of what the target ranging references are calibrated for, so we have to divide the given range by 2.  

The target below is a 36" shoulder height silhouette of a deer. Considering it is 36" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 800 yard target ranging indicator this target is 400 yards away. It is 400 yards away and not 800 yards because we are using a target that is half the height of what the target ranging references are calibrated for, so we have to divide the given range by 2.

The target below is a 24" shoulder height silhouette of a hog. Considering it is 24" tall and fits just between our horizontal crosshair and the 300 yard target ranging indicator this target is 100 yards away. It is 100 yards away and not 300 yards because we are using a target that is one third the height of what the target ranging reference is calibrated for, so we have to divide the given range by 3.  

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 00:46
[QUOTE=Stevel610] You can turn it all the way down then count the mils as you turn it to the top until it stops. Do the same with the side for total windage.

Thx for the reply but i dont own the scope. I was hoping to use the info as part of the decision making.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 10:40
Not sure you caught it in the previous post by Urimaginaryfrnd. But it is Total Elevation Adjustment:       36 Mils 
Total Windage Adjustment:        36 Mils

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 11:30
To get mils from MOA, you just divide the MOA/3.438.  So your 156 would be 45 mils.

The specs listed on the website for SS scopes is usually very conservative.  All the SS scopes I have owned have had a lot more than listed in the specs. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 13:17
I did see his post but he posted about a different model so i didnt want to assume that it was the same elevation and windage.

Not to be doubting thomas here but i also found an answer over at snipercentral.com the answer there was,42.8 mils of elevation. Mel over at sniper central did a review on the scope, the moa version thats where i got the 156 moa as a noob i didnt want to assume that the adjustments could be figured out with the formula manufactures have been known to manufacture products outside of what common sense would warrant. I also resourced the manufactures website but unfortunately they only say mil next to total windage adjustment and elevation adjustment.

Needless to say i am confused. It doesnt matter much however because 42.8 mil adjustment or 35 mil adjustment still covers my needs.

Thanks for yoir replies everyone.
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 13:34
i appologize for all the mistakes in my last post. when responding to the thread on my phone i have no review of what was said before me so on top of spelling mistakes and information errors it looks like im stupid. 

again thanks for the replies. 
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 14:12
ok all, i just got off the phone with SWFA, i figured if anyone would know they would know and the answer is.... wait for it... no one knows. I was told the only one who is going to know how much elevation the scope is going to have is me after i order it, i was told from scope to scope with the mil versions its going to vary how many mils of adjustment that particular scope is going to have. they told me that their intentions are to manufacture each scope with the maximum amount of elevation available and some could be more some could be less the only way to know is to order one and figure out how much my scope has, but that they would guarantee a minimum of 30mrad of adjustment. I asked if this was why they post the numbers for the moa scopes and not the mil scopes, i was told "yep." (thats a direct quote.) not exactly sure what to think about that. still a minimum of 30 mil adjustments is sufficient for my needs.

thought this would be of interest to everyone. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 15:06
That has always been the case with SS scopes.  As I said in my post before, when they list a spec it is usually very conservative.  They often have much more.

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic