OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 10x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Manual?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 15:21
Originally posted by Rem .308 Rem .308 wrote:

i appologize for all the mistakes in my last post. when responding to the thread on my phone i have no review of what was said before me so on top of spelling mistakes and information errors it looks like im stupid. 

again thanks for the replies. 

Roll on Floor Laughing

Welcome to the OT. You ain't the first one and you won't be the last.

We've all been there.

And probably will be again. Loco

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 20:29
I have owned a lot of the SS scopes and while I have run out of adjustment on other brands of scopes I have never had that issue with an SS scope. I as much as anyone appreciate the importance of the question you asked so I tried to post what information was officially available hopeful that some of it might be of use. I will say that there are enough rotations of the turret that it is easily possible to get lost in the dial and suggest that once you establish you zero that you make a mark on the inner part to show the correct level of the Zero. This can be as simple as a piece of tape or a scratch from a knife or a marker pen.  One other thing that I think can be quite useful is ordering a set of Kenton Ind custom engraved turret knobs for the caliber and specific load that you settle into.
http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/swfa http://kentonindustries.com/custom-turrets/swfa

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/20/2016 at 21:04
I do appreciate the info urimaginaryfrnd. I didnt understand what i was asking. Meaning i am too new to know i was reading over the information given to me. It wasnt until i got off the phone with skar at swfa that i understood all the info that was already given. Thanks for putting up wit it. I was too perplexed that no one had an answer now i know why. I still will be purchasing one.
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 00:37
Would you still want to use a 20 moa base with a scope with so much adjustment?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 04:55
How far do you really anticipate shooting...the majority of your time? 
A .308 Win, I presume?  

With the least elevation I ever heard of on an SS scope, your going to get out to, (probably past) 1000 yards with a .308 and a 175gr bullet. There's member's here that do that regularly with their SS scopes. 

I think you might be getting wrapped around the axle on how much "up" your going to have. 
Respectfully submitted and welcome to Optics Talk.     
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 11:11
it would seem that way, i should have clarified. and research has probably gotten the best of me here. I read in a forum, don't  remember if it was here or not, and it was probably just one mans opinion but he made the argument that there was an advantage other than just the gain in elevation. it doesn't make sense to me to add something thats not needed, and for my needs i don't need a 20moa base. it seemed he was making the argument for barrel and scope alignment wish i kept track so i could post the link, if i come across it again ill post it. but he was even proposing a 30moa base to support his argument. im certain he wasn't promoting the elevation gain. (realy feel up a creek without a paddle here without the supporting link)

sorry Probably too little information in my explanation here, im over the elevation thing. and you are correct cheaptrick .308 win with 175 smks. ive shot out to 600 yards, have not shot past that. 

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 11:26
1000 yards, with 175s you will need 10 to 11.5ish mils depending upon elevation and stuff.  So with a scope with 40 mils available a 20 moa base is not needed. 

But if you plan on shooting longer distances often a slanted base will keep your erector more centered in the scope tube at those distances.  Supposedly you will get the best scope performance from a scope if it is centered.  Also if you plan on getting a different scope in the future that may not have the adjustment range a SS has you may want that 20 moa base now so you don't have to buy twice.  Plus it is just fun to occasionally lob some shots off at 1400+ yards when you have the range.  Sometimes a base will make that possible.

I have a 20 moa base and a SS 5-20x on my .308.  I was at a precision rifle class and I was shooting 1500 yards and still had more elevation to go.  Most of the other shooters ran out of up around 1000 yards.  So for times like that, it is nice to have it.

All that being said.  A set of Talley light weight ring mounts will keep your loading port open unlike using a one piece mount.  If you are loading from the top, that is a nice option to have.  And with a SS scope you will have way more than you need even with a 0 moa mounting system for 99% of your shooting. 

Edited by supertool73 - January/21/2016 at 11:32
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 13:42
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

1000 yards, with 175s you will need 10 to 11.5ish mils depending upon elevation and stuff.  So with a scope with 40 mils available a 20 moa base is not needed. 

But if you plan on shooting longer distances often a slanted base will keep your erector more centered in the scope tube at those distances.  Supposedly you will get the best scope performance from a scope if it is centered.  Also if you plan on getting a different scope in the future that may not have the adjustment range a SS has you may want that 20 moa base now so you don't have to buy twice.  Plus it is just fun to occasionally lob some shots off at 1400+ yards when you have the range.  Sometimes a base will make that possible.

I have a 20 moa base and a SS 5-20x on my .308.  I was at a precision rifle class and I was shooting 1500 yards and still had more elevation to go.  Most of the other shooters ran out of up around 1000 yards.  So for times like that, it is nice to have it.

All that being said.  A set of Talley light weight ring mounts will keep your loading port open unlike using a one piece mount.  If you are loading from the top, that is a nice option to have.  And with a SS scope you will have way more than you need even with a 0 moa mounting system for 99% of your shooting. 

Some really solid advise from Super Tool, once again. 

Talley's also give you better access to the loading/ejection port, if you don't have a DM system as well.

Rem .308 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rem .308 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 14:29
Thankyou guys great info.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2016 at 14:40
We like 'em! 

bowdad7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bowdad7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 09:16
Forgive me if my question(s) seem silly but want to learn & educate myself. In regards to the reticle in the SWFA 3-15x42 scope info posted which show the horizontal & vertical lines which help in range estimation, is this reticle still offered by SWFA on their current models? Or is this reticle from a discontinued model? Is there a reticle that SWFA offers that would have the same ranging capabilities? Or, could someone please explain how to use the MOA-QUAD reticle to estimate range (height/width) of human, deer & hogs? Thank you.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 09:27
I just checked SWFA's website and only see the mil quad and MOA quad reticles for the 3-15X. I cannot say for certain they discontinued that reticle, but it doesn't appear on their website at this time.

As for use of a mil- or MOA reticle, there are resources online that can assist. The short answer is it takes a bit of math, and you need to know the size of the object you are ranging. This is what makes range estimation so difficult in nature. SO long as you aren't ranging at distant targets, is works out okay.

Google something like "ranging with a mil dot reticle." Or get a mil dot master, it is useful for not messing up the math. To do this on the fly, you'll need a calculator or a table. The mil dot master is slide-rule kinda for relative ease of use.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 09:57
I have some scopes you could in theory range with.

I don't bother. I bought rangefinder binos as then I can look at something I might want to / not want to shoot without actually pointing a rifle at it.

Scrummy
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 12:12
Originally posted by bowdad7 bowdad7 wrote:

Forgive me if my question(s) seem silly but want to learn & educate myself. In regards to the reticle in the SWFA 3-15x42 scope info posted which show the horizontal & vertical lines which help in range estimation, is this reticle still offered by SWFA on their current models? Or is this reticle from a discontinued model? Is there a reticle that SWFA offers that would have the same ranging capabilities? Or, could someone please explain how to use the MOA-QUAD reticle to estimate range (height/width) of human, deer & hogs? Thank you.

I would make one follow-on point: learning marksmanship basics and perfecting them takes time and effort. Additionally, learning range estimation and calculation takes time, practice, and continued effort (it is a very perishable skill.) I recommend you undertake one and not both at the same time. Additionally, a laser rangefinder or other more accurate ranging capability is needed to check your work. Without that, everything is right when you hit and wrong when you miss - and that is a frustrating way to do it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/08/2019 at 20:43
Originally posted by Rancid Coolaid Rancid Coolaid wrote:

Originally posted by bowdad7 bowdad7 wrote:

I would make one follow-on point: learning marksmanship basics and perfecting them takes time and effort. Additionally, learning range estimation and calculation takes time, practice, and continued effort (it is a very perishable skill.) I recommend you undertake one and not both at the same time. Additionally, a laser rangefinder or other more accurate ranging capability is needed to check your work. Without that, everything is right when you hit and wrong when you miss - and that is a frustrating way to do it.

That is about as bluntly stated as it can be...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/09/2019 at 15:11
For a PDF email, please email:

Skylar@swfa.com

Subject Line: Manual for SWFA SS 1-4x24 HD

I'll respond to you with a copy as promptly as I can. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic