OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

10x vs. 12x SS

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commandernavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10x vs. 12x SS
    Posted: June/24/2013 at 20:27
Quick question to all:

How much does the 10x differ from the 12x. I have heard that the 10x is a better scope all around, but is the difference really noticeable enough to get one over the other? Is one going to be better over the other in terms of optical clarity, field of view, or usability in practical terms? I can stare at numbers on a screen all day long, but I have used neither so need input from you guys. Any problems with mirage or anything else to be aware of?

I want to outfit it to my Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD in .308 which I plan to primarily use at the range, but may have to hunt with it too since I do not have any other rigs for this.

Which do you prefer?

Thank you all!
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2013 at 20:52
Personally, I would go with the 10x.  Actually, you should take a look at the SS 6x if you are going to hunt with it.  10x can be limiting unless you are sure you are always shooting at 100 yards or more.    
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2013 at 21:46
I agree with Kickboxer. Getting a clear sight picture on a 10 or 12x scope at a target less than 100 yards can be challenging. If hunting, especially in low-light, the 6x is going to offer the widest, brightest view. And is plenty of mag for shooting at 400 to 500 yards.
 As far as one being superior to the other, they are the same scope, just the 12x has more magnification. That means the 12x is going to have a smaller FOV, it will also appear "dimmer" in low light situations, and be a bit harder to line-up on a target... But that being said, there are times when there is no substitute for magnification!
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
commandernavi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote commandernavi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2013 at 22:08
I understand. For primarily long range use which would be the better option then in your opinion? Doesn't seem like its that big of a differnece. Is it? I want to steer clear of the 6 since this is primarily a long range rig
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/24/2013 at 23:00
The advantage of the 6x is that in low light it will be be brightest of all of them 42mm objective divided by 6 power equals 7 mm exit eye pupil  that is the max that a young mans eye will dialate to.  I have had most of the models but not the 12 x  I can say that the 20 is very grey in low light but great in bright light the 16 I like very much and have on my  .308  the 10x is OK but I like the 6x and the 16x much more than the 10 x and I have had all three versions of 10x so if you use a very solid rest while hunting jump to the 16x and if you stalk or hunt brush stay with the 6x it is very hard to get onto a walking deer under 100 yds with anything over 6x.  The 3-15 solves the problem entirely but at double the price  same with the 3-9 but I like the knobs on the 3-9 and 5-20 the best as they use a single screw on the top to reset where all the others use the three metric  hex screws.  For some reason I dont see a point to the 12x but obviously someone does.  My favorites will always be the  6x and the 16x and  so long as you understand the trade off you can go with either.    6x very bright in low light    16x closer view of distant objects.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic