OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nikon M-7 compared to Zeiss Terra

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nikon M-7 compared to Zeiss Terra
    Posted: June/25/2013 at 11:46
Hello all,

I've been Jonesin' for some new binoculars lately, and finally came up with a reason to buy one: I need a 10x roof (that wasn't hard, was it?). The two that I'm most interested in are the Monarch 7 and Terra HD, neither of which can be found in local stores. I like the M-7 for it's low weight and wide FOV. The Terra interests me because, well... it's a Zeiss, and seems to have a pretty decent FOV and isn't too heavy.

I'm not looking at the Vortex products because of weight (Talon) and/or FOV (Viper), and I'm not considering the McKinley because of it's 29oz. weight, unless someone can convince me that it's other qualities is worth that much weight. The Krueger Caldera has caught my eye(s), but that brand is somewhat of an unknown to me.

If anyone has compared the M-7 and Terra and would like to post their impressions, it would be greatly appreciated. And too, any other comments about the 10x roof-prisms in general are also welcome. I would like to keep the price under $500, but will go a bit higher if there is a compelling reason to do so.

thanks,
PhilR.
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/13/2013 at 17:31
Bump

i too am interested in these two as they are pretty much identical in price
CSG View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CSG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/18/2013 at 20:49
I own the Terra 8x42 and had a chance to compare a store copy to an M7 8x42 the other day.  Much as I'm a Zeiss fanboy, at a $30 spread between them with Nikon's current promotional $100 off, I'd have to get the M7 the edge all around.  At the normal $130 more for the M7, it still wins but you would expect it to at the higher price.  The Terras are very good but with the Nikon sale and the bigger FOV, I'd give them the nod.
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2013 at 23:02
Originally posted by CSG CSG wrote:

The Terras are very good but with the Nikon sale and the bigger FOV, I'd give them the nod.

Thanks for the input.  Since I originally posted the above, I have had the opportunity to test the two.  I agree with your opinion 100%. 

As it turns out, I never purchased either one.   Instead, I suddenly had the chance to buy a 10x Vortex Razor 3rd gen. at an excellent price, so I went with that one instead.  The Razor is of course in a whole 'nuther league......
Lurchernz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lurchernz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/20/2013 at 16:27
while on the subject how owul dthe vanguard endeavor 10.5's measure up to these two?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic