OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Tikka T3 Lite Stainless & Leupold VX2

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igotta40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tikka T3 Lite Stainless & Leupold VX2
    Posted: July/11/2013 at 23:18

Hello, new to this forum, my first post and I'm confused...

I just bought the subject rifle and scope and I need some guidance. The scope is a VX- 2 3-9 40mm. The Tikka rifle came with rings for the dovetail receiver mounting, but I'm not sure of the quality, or even correct for my chosen scope. The scope is still in the box, so I don't know if it is 33mm or 1 inch, and the specs on the Leupold website don't give that info, how can I tell?

I'd like to buy Leupold bases and rings but my options are open to Warne or Talley. The Leupold website shows STD bases # 54447 as being for the Tikka T3. Here's my dilemma... The picture on their site shows the bases are arced, but my reciever is flat topped, dovetailed and grooved. I don't see how that would screw down correctly. Kind of a "round peg in a square hole" fitment if you get my imagery...

Not to sound like a crybaby in my first post, but I need some guidance here. I'm mechanically inclined, and I feel I can put my scope and rifle together if I have the correct parts. I'm reluctant to take my gear to a LGS if I can help it.

Anybody here have the same setup that works?

Thanks, igotta40

The Tikka is a .270 Winchester.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 07:00
Welcome to the OT "40! 

Plenty here own the Tikka T3 and should be able to answer your questions.  Unfortunately I don't own a T3...yet.  I do use Talley one piece light weights on all my non-AR long guns though and swear by them! 

You can aslo call SWFA and the friendly knowledgable people there will happily help ya.  For that matter you can call Talley directly and they too are pleasant and helpful. Howdy
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 13:38
Welcome to Optics Talk.

I too love the Talley LW's. Get the low Talley's and don't look back. Your VX2 is a 1" tube.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
igotta40 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igotta40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 14:32
Thanks for the replies. See, here is what I referred to, that Talley light weight appears in the picture to have a curved mounting surface, and the Tikka receiver is flat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 15:26
The picture is probably not your particular ring, I assume.
It's just a generic picture.
igotta40 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igotta40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 15:46
Thanks, that has to be it. I'm learning a lot here... there's more to proper scope mounting than I realized.

Do most folks take their gun & scope to a shop for mounting, alignment and lapping, or DIY? It looks like there's a considerable layout for a vise and tools involveed for DIY.

What would a shop normally charge for labor?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/12/2013 at 16:48
Originally posted by igotta40 igotta40 wrote:

Thanks, that has to be it. I'm learning a lot here... there's more to proper scope mounting than I realized.

Do most folks take their gun & scope to a shop for mounting, alignment and lapping, or DIY? It looks like there's a considerable layout for a vise and tools involveed for DIY.

What would a shop normally charge for labor?

Glad you like it here.

I don't use my bench vise to mount a scope, but I guess you could. I use my bipod or a bean bag rest to steady the rifle.   

One tool I find absolutely necessary, is this tool.  

When you get your gear together, come on back and we will walk you through it, or you can search through past threads here and get a pretty good idea of how it goes. No need to take it to someone to do for you.

Edited by cheaptrick - July/12/2013 at 16:54
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 14:37
I like Talley LW's also, but on both of my T3's I just use the rings they came with.  I've had no problems with them for the 7-8 years I've owned them, a 7mag and 7-08.  As long as you don't over-torque the screws you'll be fine.  
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/16/2013 at 16:06
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Welcome to Optics Talk.

I too love the Talley LW's. Get the low Talley's and don't look back. Your VX2 is a 1" tube.

That's good advice. The Tikka supplied rings are crap (IMO). All of my better rifles wear Talley's. BTW, welcome to the forums. Good luck.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic