OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

optics for the socom ll

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: optics for the socom ll
    Posted: May/19/2006 at 20:48
Hello men, and any women. I have competeted in long range copititions for many years,, useing the wildcat 22-243. but i have just been invited to a combat military shoot, at fort Gurnsey Wyoming, just a few hours from my home. Boys my long range rifles will not do here,, so I bought a socom II, and i am not sure what to put on it for optics. I will be shooting 500 yrd stationary targets, 300 yrd moving targets, and targets from 25 yrds to 500 yrds. All targets will be 18 inches wide and 40 inches tall. some targets will be timed( 5 targets in so many seconds). can you Boys help me here?? Thank you for your advice.
sweep & clear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2006 at 06:29

http://www.riflescopes.com/departments/225/rifle_scopes/trij icon_rifle_scopes/trijicon_acog_rifle_scopes.htm

Welcome to The OT, Raven!!!!

Be sure to check out a VERY squared away former Marines review of this fine optic, "stickied" at the top of the Tactical Scopes forum.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2006 at 11:09
No this set up won't work althought it would be high on the fun scale. You need something like a Gap, or extended magazine Steyr. The guys using these are going to eat your lunch, should you bring one. The winning shooter will probably be using something like a BAT actioned, kreiger barreled 308 with a USO tactical and WILL know how to shoot it. This is a game where high dollar equipment does buy points.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2006 at 12:57

Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

No this set up won't work althought it would be high on the fun scale. You need something like a Gap, or extended magazine Steyr. The guys using these are going to eat your lunch, should you bring one. The winning shooter will probably be using something like a BAT actioned, kreiger barreled 308 with a USO tactical and WILL know how to shoot it. This is a game where high dollar equipment does buy points.

Is your USO tactical reference toward the SN-4's, Dale?

Thanks. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2006 at 14:40
Those and SN-3's It depends on the course of fire, I'll bet the 25 and 500 is a mixed first 25 then out 500, which will favor the SN3. Semi-auto fire weapons advantage will be negated by course fire design. Ex. 10 rd. par time on known distance (a standards course) but the rounds will be in box 10 yards behind you only one at a time can be loaded and shot then back to the box-very good test of breath control and pull off. The ratio of standing fire to prone will give the advantage of the SN-4 over the 3. An m-4 with TMR would be very competitive as well as S&B and 2.5x10 nightforce with an FC-2.
Mithran View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mithran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2006 at 16:09

Sounds like Dale has shot this course before.  Take both a bolt and your SOCOM.  Which ever one is more prevelent among the competitors is the one you should go with.  This will also give you plenty of flexibility just in case this shoot isn't what Dale think it might be or it is exactly what he thinks it might be.  I don't know what kind of rifles you have but you said something about wild cat loads.  You might want to find out if the competition your going to will allow handloads for your long range rifles.  They might allow only factory ammo so it would be wise to get get some factory match ammo and get your zeros and dopes for all the ranges this competition will entail.  You probably have thought of all this stuff since you stated you've shot LR comps for years but I thought I'd just help with some ideaers.   Reagardless this scope would be great for that SOCOM and just in case they throw some UKD targets in there that are the same 18 inch targets the ACOG will allow you to range and hit those targets very easily believe me.  Here are two ACOGS that would be your ticket http://www.riflescopes.com/products/TA11E/trijicon_3.5x35_ac og_rifle_scope.htm or this one http://www.riflescopes.com/products/TA01B/trijicon_4x32_acog _rifle_scope.htm

The TA11E has more eye relief and might be better for that SOCOM's added recoil.  It has no magnification but for close quarters any of the EoTech's are also a sweet ticket for a SOCOM too.

Fight Smarter
Not Harder
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2006 at 17:13
"Gaming a match out" without more information is difficult.In this case find out what the "home town crowd is fond of" so you don't get hometowned. It sounds like your weakest point will be the movers, and possibly offhand, a silhoutte stance you probably used in LR is way to slow, see if they allow slings and get a chicom sling . Also find out if there is a weak hand event and also a weapons change out (rifle-pistol-rifle) if possible. But most important as Mithran suggests is ammo requirements (better read restrictions). It is possible, that they will issue the ammunition you will use, depending on the time frame of the course and allowable space for sight in.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/20/2006 at 17:25

almost forgot Is the socom II a front scope mount set up? If so you will need a rear mount for the trij. also make sure you are very clear on when and what kind of bipod and when it can be deployed. Some matches have fault lines etc. and if it is a movement course this will certainly be the case.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2006 at 14:46

If the SOCOM has only the front picitanny base the Aimpoint scopes are out of the question as the dot will be too large.  The EOTech has a 1moa center dot and might work for you. I don't think the Trijicon will have the right eye relief that far folward. A Burris scout scope in a 1x or 2x is a posibility.  Note: M1a rifles will bend the op rod if you use heavier than a 175 grain bullet unless you turn off the gas system and manually load and eject them.

Other info: http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics/Ammo_Search.aspx   Federal 168 Gold Medal Match balistics

If Zero is at 200 yds it will strike 53.8 in lower at 500 yds .

impactguns.com/store/M14ALCS.html     Sage stock

ironbrigadearmory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&am p;am p;am p;ProdID=326  Sage stock

If you use the sage stock with the picitanny rail piece that mounts where the stripper clip attachment goes you can mount a traditional scope or the other good system is the ARMS  M1a scope base both of these systems are far lower profile than the M21 type base.  If you use a traditional scope you could use a low power variable possibly one with a reticle that will help you or go to the AACOG.

Most of the M1a s are 2moa guns

A.R.M.S.® #18™ M21/14 Scope Mount 
                                                                      armsmounts.com/catalog.php?action=124&item_id=7

Good  Luck

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic