OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight binos for hiking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight binos for hiking
    Posted: August/13/2013 at 09:28
I'm not very knowledgable about the subject, but...

I ran into something on another sight where they had "2013 Binocular of the Year Awards", and in the "Best Compact Binocular" they chose the Steiner Safari Ultrasharp 8x22.  The specs on these (that I think are relevant to my intent) are...

Roof prism
  Folds for storage
  Weight = 8 oz
  Waterproof/fogproof
So, I think I want something in that vein...

~8x20-something
  ~8 oz
  Folds for storage
What do you all recommend, either within that generic spec or a case for something else?
Lost Arra View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lost Arra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 13:42
Compact binos have never worked well for me except in the brightest daylight conditions.
If I'm going to use them in the woods (which is almost always) or at dawn or dusk (also almost always) I like an 8x32. The Sightron Blue Sky II model is a gem. While it is heavier than a compact most folks would consider it a lightweight binocular at 17oz.
OK_Hunter View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OK_Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 20:21
I purchased the Hawke Sapphire ED 8x25 binocs a few weeks ago. They are $290 on SWFA and the view is fantastic! Sharp all the way to the edges and I can't find any CA even when I really try. My only complaint would be that the focus knob is a little stiff...
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 20:23
Birdwatcher???
No one
PhilR. View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 20:44
Originally posted by Barnacle Bill Barnacle Bill wrote:

So, I think I want something in that vein...

~8x20-something
  ~8 oz
  Folds for storage
What do you all recommend, either within that generic spec or a case for something else?

First off, I wouldn't recommend the Steiner Ultrasharp, mostly because they aren't that sharp, despite their advertising.  Also, the compact Steiners I've used have lots of backlash in the focus wheel.  A whole lot.

Without knowing your budget, I would recommend the Leica Ultravision 8x20, which is the best 8x20 I've ever seen.  The Zeiss, Swaro, and Nikon Premier are also very good too, so research all of these, if possible.

If your price range is in the middle, then the Sapphire already mentioned would be an excellent choice, even though it has a larger objective and weighs more than you want.  Still worthy of consideration, as that extra 5mm might come in handy.  Kowa also makes an 8x25, but the reviews I've read have run both hot and cold.  Still worthy of investigation.  If I didn't already have a nice 10x25, I would seriously consider one of these.

The Alpen Wings ED 8x20 is pretty good too, but it's focus knob is not consistent in effort.  I have one for travel use and have been happy with it, despite it's less than stellar focus knob.

If you have to stay under $100, then you really should consider the small reverse porros instead of a roof.  There aren't any good roofs in this price range, but the small porros from Olympus, Nikon, and Pentax do surprisingly well.

Edited by PhilR. - August/14/2013 at 08:55
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 20:54
I was lucky enough to spend some time with a pair of Zeiss conquest 8x20s. Images are crystal clear in full daylight but something with a larger objective quickly surpasses them as it gets dark.
Still, tiny lightweight thing of beauty to have in your pocket. It would be a great pair to grab when space and weight are of primary concern.
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/13/2013 at 21:41
Originally posted by Barnacle Bill Barnacle Bill wrote:

Reverse Porros are small & lightweight with sharp optics.

I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2013 at 16:33
Originally posted by 338LAPUASLAP 338LAPUASLAP wrote:

Birdwatcher???

No, but potentially they get taken on a camera safari in Africa.  Mostly just to carry without a lot of extra weight while hiking, in case I want to glass anything.
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/15/2013 at 16:36
Originally posted by PhilR. PhilR. wrote:

Without knowing your budget,

Not sure I know it, either.  Mainly a function of not knowing the price vs performance curve on binos.
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2013 at 07:54
There are different price curves depending on the size of the bin. In the compact size the most expensive models usually top out around $700 to $800 (Swaro and Leica). The Zeiss isn't too far behind. The least expensive of the premium compacts is the Nikon Premier which usually sells around $500.

Then there is a bit of a price gap until you hit some of the more moderately priced roofs from Pentax, Leupold, Promaster, Alpen, etc... These usually run &150 to $250. Also at this price point is the Bushnell 7x26 Reverse porro. Arguably the best bang for the buck considering the optical performance rivals the $700+ models.

$125 and under the previously mentioned Nikon Prostaff and Olympus model are excellent options.
Frank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic