OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

How is Steiner affiliated with Burris?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hwyshredder78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How is Steiner affiliated with Burris?
    Posted: August/17/2013 at 17:22
Hello all, I am new here, but have gathered information on this wonderful site for several years now. Your vast wealth of knowledge, feedback, and reviews have helped me to decide on several past purchases, and I would like to thank you for that!

Lately I have been looking into buying some glass for a new 6.5x55 build, and noticed that the new Steiner Predator line looked very familiar, very Burris like in fact. I went to Steiner's website and did find out that Burris does handle their customer service here, so does anyone know how these two brands are affiliated with one another? Is the Predator line a re-badged XTR built to Steiner's specs, and is the Predator line made in the Philippines, Germany, or here in the United States?   
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2013 at 17:53
The box on my Steiner Predator says Greeley Colorado, which is home to Burris. I have several Burris scopes, including Signature's. The Predator surpasses all of them. I have to believe the glass is sourced by Steiner.
Not sure if Burris does machining and assembly in Colorado. But if they do, I am more than satisfied with that. Burris makes high quality scopes.
I owe the good folks here a report on my Predator. I can say that optically the Predator seems to fall between the VX3, Monarch and Elite class of scopes and the European scopes. It is quite nice. The Predator is also a beast. I think that I could drive tent stakes with it.
I will have something more later this week and post pictures.

Edited by tahqua - August/17/2013 at 17:59
Doug
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2013 at 20:50
Beretta is the mother ship of many these days with Steiner and Burris falling under that umbrella too, from what I understand. From what I understand, the Predator scopes are a joint effort with the glass being Steiner and the rest being Burris mechanics. Burris is now the USA distributor for Steiner bino's and handles their warranty and CS issues as well.
Hwyshredder78 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hwyshredder78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2013 at 20:50
Thank you for the response! I have been very curious about the Predator line lately, that's what brought me to ask the question. That's great to know, I was wanting to get an opinion on their glass quality, and I look forward to reading your report. It sounds like one would definitely be in good hands after the sale.  There's not very many reviews on the Steiners at this point in time, and I would like to hear more.

I managed to check out a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42 a few weeks ago, and I liked it a lot, but the 5-25x50 is the one that I am really curious to check out. There's just something about the Steiner Predator that keeps me interested.

Hwyshredder78 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hwyshredder78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/17/2013 at 20:57
Thank you, Roy! I had no idea that Beretta owns both companies, so the similarities make total sense. I was typing my first reply when you posted.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/19/2013 at 08:09
I think I am going to get one to evaluate.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 12:06
thinking part done.. ordered a demo 2.5-10, should have it by the end of the week.
anxious to check it out.
Generally I don't like BDC type reticles but this one  matches my 280AI load well on paper.
first test will be in low light against several other nice scopes.

Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 14:10
Really looking forward to hearing how those scopes perform too.
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 16:20
Before too long everything will be owned by one company with too many chiefs and not enough Indians.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 16:47
Yeah
I am not real fond of all the gun conglomerates..
Beretta
Freedom group
ATK

Definitely prefer to deal with the independent companies.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 16:55
Spoke with another rep at a grand opening last weekend and he said that the ATK / Bushnell deal was not done yet and that there are possibly two more looking at Bushnell.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 17:14
ATK buying BUSHNELL?
Neither has a good rep for servicing scopes (ATK/Weaver)

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/20/2013 at 17:16
Spoke with another rep at a grand opening last weekend and he said that the ATK / Bushnell deal was not done yet and that there are possibly two more looking at Bushnell.

When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 13:03
Originally posted by ccoker ccoker wrote:

ATK buying BUSHNELL?
Neither has a good rep for servicing scopes (ATK/Weaver)
Charles,
Weaver has been all over the place since they were sold out of El Paso. There is nothing new about this. Corporations/conglomerates buy a reputable business after the original business creators die and then the quality of the product and ethical behavior (customer service) take a back seat to profit.

Greed is one of the afflictions of mankind.
You will notice I did not say profit, I said GREED.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
pc4life View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pc4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 13:10
"Soylent Green" is the future. Follow the crowd ~ can't live without the best.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 15:15
pc4life --
I can't tell if the obvious sarcasm and satire you're using in the past dozen or so posts is intended to be humorous and general in nature, or if you're slamming someone or a particular group of folks in particular. Are these posts intended as a commentary on consumer trends overall or fellow Optics Talk members?

Inquiring minds wanna know.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/21/2013 at 18:35
Originally posted by pc4life pc4life wrote:

"Soylent Green" is the future. Follow the crowd ~ can't live without the best.

And this pertains to the topic how???
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/22/2013 at 11:01
Put the crack pipe down brother

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic