OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

opinions of Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opinions of Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32
    Posted: September/02/2013 at 21:57
I recently bought a Marlin 336 30-30 and added a Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 I had sitting around, in some Burris Signature Zee rings. I'm really disappointed in the added weight and changed handling/feel, mostly from the Nikon but a little from the steel Burris rings.

Before I take the whole setup off and go to something like a Skinner peep sight I was looking at scopes on the SWFA web site and ran across the Weaver Classic V 2.5-7x32. Looks like it would take 4-5 oz. off and maybe could even be set in lower rings than the Nikon with its huge ocular bell.

What say you all? Is the Weaver a decent scope? Any better than the (new model) Nikon? Worth a 4-5 oz. reduction in weight? I would appreciate hearing of anyone's experience with the Weaver Classic V on a Marlin lever gun. Thanks
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2013 at 11:36
Yes, the Weaver is a decent scope.  The 2.5-7x32 does get some love on this site.  I have one on my Grandfather's SMLE sporter .303 and it is very serviceable.  If you're not using the QD Zee rings you should look at the Talley lightweight base/ring combo's.  They are very light weight.
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2013 at 21:16
Originally posted by magshooter1 magshooter1 wrote:

Yes, the Weaver is a decent scope.  The 2.5-7x32 does get some love on this site.  I have one on my Grandfather's SMLE sporter .303 and it is very serviceable.  If you're not using the QD Zee rings you should look at the Talley lightweight base/ring combo's.  They are very light weight.

Thanks...I appreciate the info. How would that Weaver compare to the (new) Leupold VX-2 2-7x33?
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/04/2013 at 07:24
The Weaver should be a little lighter because of the slightly smaller objective lens.  I believe the Leupold will be little bit brighter and possibly clearer.  I don't have VX-2 but I do have a VX-II 2x7x33 on my Marlin 336 .35 Rem.  If I have time (church tonight) I will compare the Weaver and VX-II this evening.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 07:39
OK.  Took the Weaver and the VX-II head to head yesterday evening.  Leupold has a little more eye relief, a little wider FOV and was a little brighter.  Not surprising for a scope that cost considerably more than the Weaver CV7.  Weaver is lighter weight by a little.  All that being said it would not stop me from hunting the Weaver.  Eye relief is adequate, FOV is adequate and brightness was plenty adequate enough the intended hunting use.  For the money the Weaver is a a lot of scope when compared to the cost of the newer VX-2.  Actually after handling both guns and scopes last night I am considering moving the Weaver over t the Marlin.
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 07:50
If you really want to knock some weight off; you should look at the Weaver CV3 1x3x20 (8.5 oz.) and the Leupold VX-1 and VX-2 1x4x20's (8.1 oz.).  Leupold also offer a VX-2 2x7x28 Ultralight (8.5 oz.)  The VX-1 which is supposedly the equal of the old VX-II is available with a heavy duplex which would be really good on a lever gun for brush and woods hunting.
onfinal View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onfinal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/06/2013 at 15:22
Thanks, Mag for all your help. I have a Leupold VX-2 1-4 but it's on my Mini-14, and it's doing a great job there so I have to leave it there. If the VX-2 2-7x32 is close to the same quality I think that is the way I might go. I would save 4-5 ounces over the ProStaff and gain a better scope in the process. I'd like to stay with the Burris Zee rings if possible, but lighter rings would be my next step if needed. I don't want to get ultra light with scope or rings because I don't know how they would hold up to 30-30 recoil.

I really appreciate all the time and effort you have put in on this. It's been a big help.
Boomholzer View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boomholzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/17/2013 at 18:17
Is there a consensus on the Burris FFII vs. the Weaver Classic-V?
The Burris 2-7x35 FFII  or E1 was not mentioned against the 2.5-7x32 Weaver.

Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/18/2013 at 07:32
No experience with the E1.  Had a 3-9x40 and a 4.4-14x42 FFII; never could get used to whole eyepiece turning.  Can't use flip-up covers with the FFII.  The 3-9 was OK the 4.5-14 had some image and focus issues.  Sent it back to Burris and they said everything was fine.  To my eye there was some serious aberration around the edges that neither the quick focus ring nor the AO could cure so I sold it.  I like the older FF's much better than the new ones.  Still have a coupled of FF 3.5-10x50's.  IMO Burris isn't the company it used to be.  No longer offer anything in a gloss finish and some of the scopes are just downright ugly.  Don't see many people around where I hunt using them anymore.  I rarely even consider them when looking for scopes these days.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic