OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 BLK Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 BLK Scope
    Posted: September/15/2013 at 22:39
Just bought my first 300 blackout and trying to find a scope around $500.
So many issues to consider, my head is spinning!
FFP? Zero Lock Turrets? Reticle choices, BDC, Mil vs MOA. OMG!
I plan on shooting a 130-150 grain supersonic load.
I want quality, I want simplicity, I doubt I will ever shoot over 300 yds.
Oh and I now have "over 40 eyes". So I am not opposed to a 1-6.
I've been reading and doing my homework for weeks.
I currently have a Leatherwood 1-4 on my Sig AR. It's ok, but I'm not crazy about the reticle. I do need more bench time with that scope.
I'm not sure how able I am realistically going to be able to use the hold over hash marks on my current scope with my eyes. I would rather dial in my distance or BDC and use the cross hairs on my target.
I would love a Night Force or Lupy, but really don't want to spend that much at this time.
Please advise.     
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 06:47
Welcome to Optics Talk.

Sounds like you need a SS 3-9x, friend. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 08:59
How about something with a lit reticle?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 09:57
I have a nikon p300 scope I am review now.  So far I'm liking it.  I've had it on an 8" SBR blackout and now its on a remington 700 chambered in blackout.  Its zero'ed with 110AAC barnes and the drop is dead on at max power with that load.  Then if I switch over to my 208AMAX load for subsonic its an easy swap for me. at 100 yds i use the 3rd hash down and its dead nutz.  I doubt I use it much with subs but wanted to try it.  I've shot it out to 400yds and drilled a coyotee with it and the 110 load.  the 7x was enough for me in that situation.  I do dislike how think the reticle intersection is.  Hard to really fine tune your zero as I normally like to try to zero on a 1/2 inch orange sticker and it covers it up to much at 100 to get a consistant hold.  But with a 1" sticker it worked and I got 5 shots insided that sticker so for hunting its good to go.

I had a Browe scope that turned me off I'll never buy or support thier product line again.  Their CS stunk!

I was hoping that Rancid Coolaid woudl review the leupold blackout scope but he's procrastinatingBucky
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 10:13
What happens when you want to run a 130-150 gr in lieu of 110 re reticles designed around 110 gr?
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 10:18
pst 2.5-10
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 10:30
Originally posted by Rwporch Rwporch wrote:

What happens when you want to run a 130-150 gr in lieu of 110 re reticles designed around 110 gr?
I've got some 125gr loads for the blackout as well.  They are similar in POI as the 110s but not exact from what little I've tested them.  I'm sure with some range time I could get an accurate drop chart for the load to the reticle.  it will actually happen as the 110's are so spendy and rare that I"ve started accumulating the 125sst's to use now.  I love  the terminal performance of barnes but not he price and availibility.  I tried the 130 ttsx's in the blackout but they did not expand to my liking or have the same impressive results as the 110s
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 12:36
Originally posted by Rwporch Rwporch wrote:

Just bought my first 300 blackout and trying to find a scope around $500.
So many issues to consider, my head is spinning!
FFP? Zero Lock Turrets? Reticle choices, BDC, Mil vs MOA. OMG!
I plan on shooting a 130-150 grain supersonic load.
I want quality, I want simplicity, I doubt I will ever shoot over 300 yds.
Oh and I now have "over 40 eyes". So I am not opposed to a 1-6.
I've been reading and doing my homework for weeks.
I currently have a Leatherwood 1-4 on my Sig AR. It's ok, but I'm not crazy about the reticle. I do need more bench time with that scope.
I'm not sure how able I am realistically going to be able to use the hold over hash marks on my current scope with my eyes. I would rather dial in my distance or BDC and use the cross hairs on my target.
I would love a Night Force or Lupy, but really don't want to spend that much at this time.
Please advise.     

First, the easy part: my 300BLK (an AR variant that shoots supersonic and subsonic) wears a Swaro AV 3-10 SFP with muzzleloader reticle.  I find it works great for supersonics (the rifle's preferred load is a 125-gr ash-tray-looking projectile at about 2200 FPS) and subs alike (8.1 gr lil gun over a 208 Amax.)  The supers are zeroed, the subs are zeroed at a hair above the last hash - both at 100 yards.

Next, I would only recommend a  dedicated drop reticle on a BLK if:
1.  The ammo  will NEVER be changed.
2.  The rifle will NEVER shoot subs.
3.  The shooter has absolutely no interest in learning the efficient use of a mil reticle.

High on my list (and just a weee bit over your stated price range) would be the SS 3-9.  It has great glass, is FFP, and offers the option of dialing exactly or holdover on the reticle.  For an AR, it is a nice fit, and is among the very best 3-9 options in its price range.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 14:53
Yeah, I'm fine with creating my own range card / dope card in lieu of the dedicated drop reticle. I don't like being boxed in to a specific round.
You don't think the 3-9 is a bit too much for the 300 BLK?
I looked at the Leupold Mark AR MOD 1 with illuminated reticle. It seems clean, simple, and I can work out my drops to each has mark on the reticle. I'm still learning here, so tell me where I'm wrong on this for the money.
Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 15:14
I don't buy Leupolds, haven't for quite some time, better options out there fore same/less money, in my opinion.

I don't think the 3-9 is too much, mine runs a 3-10, which is nice for putting rounds exactly where I want them.

My beef with Leupold is frequent scope failure and high price.  Some of their stuff, I hear, is acceptable for the money.

On that scope, I am no fan of "almost true 1X", either get a 1X or get something with more magnification (except for the USO 1.8-10, but that is an entirely different conversation.)

It doesn't sound like you are setting this up as a CQC weapon, so get more mag and enjoy what the round can do.

Edited to grammar and spelling.  Damned iPhone!

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/16/2013 at 16:32
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 16:13
Another option for you if its not sold is this used Sightron SIII 1-7 Would be a good fit I think.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 16:39
That would be a nice fit, assuming it is true 1X.  Sightron makes pretty good stuff.  It is very different than a 3-9 SS (capped turrets on the S3, exposed on the SS, lower top and bottom on the S3.) Illumination is nice, but a 4A reticle might pose a challenge or 2.
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/16/2013 at 21:21
I was looking at the Sightron and even sent him a text.
But for $399 I'm finding it hard to beat the Leupold.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2013 at 18:21
I am currently testing a new Vortex PST 2.5-10x32FFP and it happened to be sitting on my 300Blackout.  I am finding this scope to be a damn near perfect fit for the Blackout.  It has a good magnification range for the cartridge. 
The turrets track dead on and the generic reticle hashmarks will work with any load.
Optically, this scope is superb for the money.

If you can swing what it costs, I highly recommend it.

If you really want to stay at $500 or less, there are other options.  Leatherwood has a version of the CMR with a Blackout/7.62x39 reticle.  It has both the holdovers for a 125gr load and a generic mil-scale.

I am playing with a CMR4 (better optics and turrets than original CMR) and it might very well be the best Chinese made scope I have seen to date.  The reticle takes some getting used to, but it works.

PFI has a Blackout scope in the 1.25-4x24 configuration that looked decent, but I have not tested it yet.

Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 mentioned above is another good option in one of its iterations.

ILya
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2013 at 13:53
Ok,so I'm about to buy the Vortex PST 2.5-10.
Here's the dilemma;
I was going to put that on my AR and use my Hi Lux Leatherwood 1-4 on the 300 blk.
So which gun would the scope suit the best and for hunting under 350 yards, FFP or SFP???

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2013 at 14:19
That would, in my opinion, depend on the target.
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2013 at 14:51
Hunting Texas hill country - pigs, deer, coyotes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2013 at 16:50
Yotes will die to either round; personally, I wouldn't use a 223 on a deer or hog (unless you really don't care about recovering the hog - and are willing to do some walking to find the deer.)

The BLK is good on deer and hogs - and it too will kill a yote.

Which gun is more accurate?

Personally, I'd put the 2.5-10 on the more accurate gun (assuming both guns are approximately the same size) as that gives maximum versatility to that gun.)

The 1-4 would, in my estimation, be a better fit on the 223 than on the BLK, knowing that one can use a 223 out to 500 yards to "some" effect.  The 300 will, I think most would agree, do a better job within 300 on animals you wish to kill cleanly.
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2013 at 18:58
I agree totally about the guns. I would think one would want the 1-4 on the 300 as not shooting as far and the 2.5-10 on the ar for the longer shots.
I will probably use the 300 more for where I hunt.
I do have a 30-06 and a 300 win mag.
But I love this 300 blackout.
Rwporch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rwporch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/01/2013 at 21:26
Ok, now I have one more scope to add to the mix.
Trijicon Accupoint 2.5-10 x56 TR22
Does anyone have a review of this?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic