OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swarovski ATX Modular Spotting Scope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swarovski ATX Modular Spotting Scope
    Posted: September/20/2013 at 13:15
    Skylar and I just returned from a trip where we had the opportunity to evaluate the new Swarovski ATX Modular spotting scope system. We were told, before the trip, it was for training on a few new Swarovski products. What we didn't know was, we were headed to White's Valley, Utah where we met the guys from Swarovski at Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf Course in north-central Utah! Needless to say, we really got to stretch the legs of this amazing spotter.

Let me just start by saying, this system is one of the cleanest and easiest to use spotters I have had the chance to lay my hands on. With its generous eye relief and field of view, we were able to transition from target to target with ease even at higher magnifications. The new positions of the magnification and focus rings allow the user to easily adjust the settings without ever looking up to find the dial position on the body. It also allows the user to focus and adjust magnification with one hand, leaving the other hand free to aim the spotter where you would like. The ergonomics allow the user to focus on what matters most, the image, without having to fumble around with adjustments and possibly losing that once in a lifetime view.

We were using the 95mm objective body in conjunction with the angled eyepiece. Let me tell you, the color and clarity is unbelievable!

Here is the view through the Swarovski of some of our targets at 1,000 yards.

(Keep in mind, this is an iPhone picture free handing behind the spotter... And I am no photographer by any means.)

We were able to follow vapor trails, easily spot impact splash and even see bullet holes in the plywood at just over 1k! It was outstanding. At 56 ounces, it was a breeze packing this spotter around the hills all day as well.

Overall, the capability of the Swarovski really amazed me. The color and detail it retained even at extreme ranges was beautiful.

The only downside to the whole system is... I had to watch, in vivid detail, Skylar's final shot ring the gong for the win. Congratulations on the win and I hope you enjoy it because, it won't happen again!
Dillon@SWFA.com
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2013 at 13:21
And it's not a binocular...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2013 at 13:54
awesome
Will they have a ranging reticle eyepiece option for it?
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2013 at 14:56
I was told they are working on some really neat things but, no details were given.

Dillon@SWFA.com
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2013 at 16:59
Thanks for posting this Dillon, I wanted to get with you on some of the pictures and post alot about this.

I took several videos, raw, and will upload them to YouTube so we can post them here for you guys.

However that is beside the point.

This is by FAR! the most sophisticated spotting scope that I have used personally.
So here's the break down.

The eye piece and the objective are modular. There are three different objective lens sizes. 65mm, 85mm, and 95mm.

With the 65mm and 85mm, you magnification is 20X-60X, but with the 95mm objective your magnification increases to 30X-70X.

The eye piece is larger as well increasing your field of view. But what really overwhelmed me, was on 30X, I was able to sharpen the resolution of our silhouette targets and see the plywood flakes over 500 yards away.

Dillon and I went to a place near Ogden, Utah called Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf Center. www.spiritridgeriflegolf.com 
Here's teaser for the course, but I will post our videos shortly.

I got side tracked there for a second. Back to Swarovski. Of course it has the classic green body. Looking at it, it doesn't appear to be overly larger than any other spotting scope, but it is so much more powerful. Now I know I sound like a cheerleader here for Swarovski, but after using it for a couple hours I'm very enthused with what they have designed.

The power selector is a very ergonomical ring that is easy to adjust. The focus, this is probably my favorite aspect, is very smooth. It's that point in between to fast and too slow. It's that ideal spot where its very fluid and your not speeding past your focal point for that crisp image. It was just ideal.

Integrated into the objective bell is a sunshade that slides out to block out that extra light that just isn't needed while shooting mid day.

The glass is self explanatory. Fully multi-Coated lense system that swarovski is known for with superior optics.

I felt that the eye relief was very generous as well.

Like I stated early. Dillon and I took several photos and I did a lot of video and will post more once I can clip some of the stuff out. Many of you know when shooting long range there is some preparedness, so there is some dead air I want to clip out of the video.

I will preface with this. There are several other guys that are shooting in the video. Dillon only shot twice.

Have a good weekend guys, I'm heading to Arkansas. Going to do more scouting for my bear hunt coming up shortly.

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2013 at 19:22
Ok, so another great spotter, but RIFLE GOLF, what a concept!

Psst Skylar...
Some days, you eat the bear.
Some days, the bear eats you.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
dsr View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2013 at 23:05
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Psst Skylar...

I have heard of something called
300 Weatherby golf. Certainly livens up the stodgy old game.

dsr
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2013 at 12:20
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Psst Skylar...

It was unlike anything I have ever tried. Very cool idea.

Alan, I'm going after American Black Bear again after failed attempts last year.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2013 at 12:32
cool
sounds like a blast

good luck on the hunt

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2013 at 16:59
Once we arrived, we found our rentle and made our way out of Salt Lake City to our hotel in Park City Utah.

Just driving along the outskirts of SLC, you notice the Rockies and they are just beautiful.  In Texas, at least on our side we have hills at most, nothing like this.

Once we arrive in Park City, we get to the hotel, meet with the staff who supplied us with a summary of our stay and then introduced us to our rooms. Unfortunately I forgot to take some pics of the inside, but it was exceptionally nice.

We changed shortly after arriving and went on a walk up main street.

Mike, a represenitive from Swarovski brought his EL Ranges with him and we were looking around the town at several arear just challenging our selves with range estimation and several of my self included we off our game. Dillon was looking at this one water reservior and ranged then questioned what do your think the range is? I said about 800, another gave his estimate, another gentleman suggested his estimate, we were all off a couple hundred yards.

We kept playing this game for a short while and then proceeded to walk around.  I showed Mike, that if you take your binos and twist the eye cups out to extend your eye releif and then take your phone with the camera function and place it against the occular lens your can digiscope with your phone.

Of course being in the industry and another manufacturer doing something similar, he was familar with what I was talking about.

That first night we had reservations for a resturant and the food was amazing.  There was dinner option that was nearly uninamous with everyone in attendence. It was called the wild game trio.
This dinner plate was: Bison, Elk, and Venison with grilled asparagus.
It was cooked properly(medium rare) and was simply amazing.

After that we went to the hotel to rest because we had to be up early in order to be on time. We were scheduled to tee off at 9AM and we were over and 1 1/2 away as the crow flys toward Ogden Ut.

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 08:13
sounds like an awesome trip

Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 08:58
That was just part of the first day.

I have more, just haven't had a chance to finish telling the story.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 14:29
Nice...Real Nice...
No one
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 14:49
Tell us more, tell us moreYippee
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 17:04
Wednesday morning, Rise and shine.

The crew is up and we loaded everything into the surburbans and made our way north.

I'm not sure how the conversasions went in the other car, but the gentlemen from Swarovski were impressed with Dillon and I's product knowledge....not just with Swarovski products, but all the products in general.

Dillon explained that we don't just isolate one item or brand, but we focus on what everyone offers. Simply because we are not commission based, this allows guys like Skylar to focus on the customer's needs and not our own.

When we arrived there were some ground rules that we all had to go over. Then we had to decide which persons would be shooting which class.

There are two course at Spirit Ridge Rifle Golf Course.
The Classic (Novice) and the Masters ( for the vetren shooter)
Dustin from swarovski quickly explained that he would like the masters, I also chimed in for the masters shoot and four other guys chose to shoot the Classic, leaving Dillon and Greg to also participate with Dustin and I in the Masters series.

Here's the yardage breakdown.
The Classic course will have shots from about 150ish to 600 yards at your longest attempt.
The Masters closest target is 500 and extends out to 970 yards with a bonus target at 1,000 yards. But here's the deal. The Master's bonus hole is a 6" X 8" AR50 Steel Plate in the vitals of a Black Bear.

After going over the rules, we made our way to the range to double check our zero.

Here's a picture through Swarovski's new ATX 30-70X95 spotting scope at 100 yards.

Dillon loading a 6.5 Creedmore to double check the rifle that he would be using. (He was cold, we were all pretty chilly from a front that moved in over night)

And here's a picture of a target at 1K on 30X through the new ATX spotting scope.

Now that all the rifles are pretty much ready to go, all we have to do is load up and make our way to tee off.

So here's the thing, we arrive at the first tee and all the classic shooters are lined up and elvaluating the side of the mountain where several silhouettes are located. Aarron the Range Master calls out the first target, which was an elk at about 400 and some change, I'm sorry I cannot remember exactly what it was but he tells you your range.

Orginally the shooting was going to start off from Left to Right, but there was a change up and we started on the Right. Being the first guy to shoot, you set the tone of that hole, but your at a disadvantage, because you are the first guy to shoot and you are not using your rifle.

Regardless we were excited and were very eager to shoot.

For those who are now wondering how the score is kept, I will elaborate for you.
You have four targets.
Eagle: Two chances to hit
Birdie: Two chances to hit
Par: One opportunity
Boggie: One opportunity
If you miss, then at best you boggie the hole.

The first round, was very deceiving. Like I said the master course had much longer shots. And I would have to say that we shot very well, however there was one opportunity that SWFA shined! Aarron calls the range " Wolf 670, up and to the Left!" " Greg you first"  Greg makes his first attempt. Bang...Miss again, Bang....Miss.

Then the RO calls out "Skylar, when you are ready call it out" Now, I'm shooting a Savage Mod 12 in 6.5 Creedmore with a Swarovski Z6i 3-18X50 with Ballistic Turret and a German 4 reticle.
Swarovski 3-18x50 Z6i 30mm Riflescope Swarovski 3-18x50 Z6i 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SWA69658
  • Matte
  • Illuminated 4A
  • 30mm
  • Side Focus
  • Ballistic Turret
  • 2nd Generation
$3,349.00
Add Swarovski 3-18x50 Z6i 30mm Riflescope to Cart
Simply amazing scope, but Swarovski's forte is not long range target. And they will re-itterate that, but they do infact make the BEST hunting scope on the market. Keeping this in mind, I had to guesstimate a hold over on that reticle, I explained to the RO " Shooter ready" Aaron explained " Send it!"

Now I get my breathing under control, pick a spot on the reticle, hold over and slowly squeeze the trigger.....BANG.........DING!
Here's a cool photo Dillon cleaned up me.

Now it is Dustin's turn, Bang....Miss again, Bang.....Miss. An unfortunate miss for team Swarovski.

Now, it is up to Dillon. Final guy to shoot for this hole. Dillon, calms down, breathes in and out, slowly squeezes the trigger, BANG.....DING!!! "Team SWFA for the win on that hol
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/24/2013 at 17:18
Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2013 at 10:48
After breaking everything down and making sure that the guns are all unloaded and we are ready to transport, we head up the road. While driving Dustin noticed a nice Mule Deer on the ridge getting some sun on the crisp chilly morning. Unfortunately I wasn't fast enough to capture of pucture of him.

Once we arrived at our second location, we all unpacked everything and broke open the coolers and sat down for lunch together.

Shortly after lunch, the guys shooting the Classic series are set up and ready to engage their targets.
While this is happening, Dillon and I had two Swarovski ATX spotting scopes with the 95mm objective calling splash so they could correct on the fly.

Dustin was using his Swarovski EL Range Binoucalars helping call range in degree of incline.

Because this hole, the target were nearly straight up. There was a small draw in front of you, but then it wen straight up.

After the Classic was over, the Masters took their seats, Aaron the RO says " First Target is a Ram, 970 yards!"

At this point, we are all out of our chairs, off the back of the table looking striaght up.

Here are some more of the photos from this hole.

I'll be honest, Dillon out shot me on this go round. But I was keeping up with him.

Now that we had completed this hole, we had one other opportunity to improve the pending score. We were now back tracking to a hole called the hole in one round.

This target was 1,012 yards away. The Classics were looking at a Moose Silhouette with a vital area of 18"X18" I believe.

The Master's target was a Black bear with a vital target of 8" X 6"

Here's one picture behind Swarovski's ATX looking 1K

Through the ATX on 1X with my camera phone and the spotter on 30X

Through the ATX on 2X on my camera phone and the ATX on 30X

Here's the deal with this hole. This 1,000 yard target, if hit on the first try, would take five points off you score.
If hit on the second chance you get three points off your score.

Here I mostly shot videos, and I have uploaded them, but I still have to trim some of the dead air out.

But here are some more photos.

I will try and edit the videos tonight, and I will post them up from home.

Edited by Skylar McMahon - September/25/2013 at 11:05
TRP_Operator View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRP_Operator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/25/2013 at 19:02
This sound like a lot of fun

ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2013 at 13:58
man that sounds like fun!

Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/30/2013 at 21:38
So the one eyepiece will fit all three modular objectives and just the zoom rating changes?

Scot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic