OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Swfa 3-15 vs vortex pst ffp 4-16 , 6-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfishsnagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swfa 3-15 vs vortex pst ffp 4-16 , 6-24
    Posted: October/02/2013 at 18:56
Hi
I am trying to make up my mind between these two scopes. I just recently got to look through a vortex pst ffp 4-16 and liked it.
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 20:16
Well when you look the 3-15 you are going to buy you will like that more.

Cool
No one
catfishsnagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfishsnagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/04/2013 at 20:09
thanks

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2013 at 13:38
I largely avoided answering this question for a bit until I got my hands on the PST and SS and looked at them side by side.

At the moment, I have a 3-15x42 SS and 4.5-14x44 Vortex HS-T (same basic optical system, I think as the PST 4-16x50 albeit with a different objective lens) and the SS is a little better.

Between the SS 3-15x42 and the PST 4-16x50, it kinda comes down to what is more important to you.

I'll make some extrapolation here, but please keep in mind that I have not had the 4-16x50 side by side with the SS 3-15x42, so this an educated guess.

Ultimately PST is a more full-featured scope, so if you want a zero stop of sort and reticle illumination, PST is your best bet.

Overall optical quality:  SS is a little better
Overall mechanical quality: I have confidence in both scopes
Turrets: Probably a wash (comes down to personal preference; I like both designs)
Adjustment range: SS has more adjustment
Zero stop: PST has it vis a stack of inserts.  Not perfect, but it works OK.
Field of View: PST FOV is wider
Eye relief flexibility: up to 10x, I like SS a little more.  Above 10x, PST has a slight edge to its large objective lens.
Low light performance: both are quite good.  SS has an edge at lower magnifications until the PST's larger objective lens starts to play a role.

I hope this helps.

ILya
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 20:17
Ilya..... Thanks for the review. It helps a lot. I take it you feel like the PST is a bargain for the money? I was looking at the PST hard for a 7mm-08 and think it may be the perfect choice. I have a friend that has one brand new that has never been taken out of the box that I can buy for 620.00 shipped and insured. Its a SFP, but that's all I'm used to anyways. Thanks again
catfishsnagger View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catfishsnagger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 19:30
Hi
Thanks for your repply. I think my gut is telling me to go with the swfa scope. I just wish I could look at one in person.

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 23:59
Where you at. Catfish?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
hatsan125sniperuser View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatsan125sniperuser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2014 at 22:14
On the 4-16 you only have 21 mil adjustment compared to 36 mil on the 3-15 and the 4-16 only focuses down to 50 yards  the 3-15 goes down to 6.5 yards .
cropslx View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cropslx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2014 at 01:05
Originally posted by catfishsnagger catfishsnagger wrote:

Hi
Thanks for your repply. I think my gut is telling me to go with the swfa scope. I just wish I could look at one in person.

You can purchase one fro SWFA and check it out for yourself. Just don't mount it and scratch it up. If you don't like it you can return it. You will just be out shipping charges. I am sure you will like it based on ALL the great reviews.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic