OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is 10 power enough for 500 yard big game rifle??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Is 10 power enough for 500 yard big game rifle??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is 10 power enough for 500 yard big game rifle??
    Posted: October/02/2013 at 20:04
Ok folks, I am building a new mountain rifle for mule deer and will be using it here in the badlands as well. I was wanting something FAIRLY light, without being uncontrollably light. I have settled on 140 grain pills pushed from a tikka t3 lite stainless 7mm-08 mounted in a bell and Carlson medalist stock. As for a scope, that's where I'm hung up. I want the best glass for the money, and would rather not spend more than a grand. I think the Sightron SIII 3.5-10X44 illuminated is a good fit, but am worried if 10 max power is enough for 500 yards. I think the glass will be hard to beat for the $750.00 dollar mark. I also like the illumination and trust the repeatability of this scope. Consistent tracking is a must, as I will be cranking on this bad boy daily! I plan on shooting this rifle a ton throughout the year between hunting and punching paper so that I remain efficient with this set up. I really don't plan on shooting past 500 with this setup. I guess I am just worried that I will wish I had went with more magnification. What say you??????Thanks
Hondo64d View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hondo64d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 20:11
10x is plenty for 500.  I can consistently hit my 8" steel plate at 600m with my 6x Zeiss.

John
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 20:14
I have that same rifle, a T3 that sits in a B&C stock, talley lightweights, wearing a VX3 2.5-8x36.   It looks and feels just right.  It also consistently shoots around .5 MOA with 140 Accubond's and Ramshot Big Game.  I think a big belled 44mm scope would look awkward on that T3 personally.  8x is plenty for 500 yds also.  
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 20:31
Feel free to throw other options at me scope wise. I am liking the idea of getting some better glass buy getting a slightly used or demo scope off of the SAMPLE LIST. I don't really have a price limit, but obviously I would like to spend as little as possible.  Thanks for any and all opinions.
canoetrpr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote canoetrpr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 22:09
I'm in the exact same boat as you; looking to shoot up to 500 yards.  However, I'd like to practice to 1000 yards and even on the 300 yard range, I prefer more magnification at range time.  Really would like a 4-16x.

However, I haven't found a scope for around the $1k mark that seems to provide the value that the Sightron SIII 3.5-10x does.

The Vortex Viper PST 4-16x seems to be a good deal and has lots of features for the price but seems to be picking up a reputation for breaking which isn't thrilling.  

I'd really like turrets but would like to hold over for wind.

3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 22:32
Zeiss 2-8x42 Conquest Duralyt Rifle Scope DEMO-B

$829.95

Zeiss 2-8x42 Conquest Duralyt Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Stock # - SPL18038
Add to Wishlist
< name="ctl00$wpm$ShowProduct$ctl10$Quantity" value="1" maxlength="5" size="2" id="ctl00_wpm_ShowProduct_ctl10_Quantity" style="width:30px;" ="text">
Zeiss 2-8x42 Conquest Duralyt 30mm Rifle ScopeNew Price: $1,299.95
Manufacture Part#: 5254159960
Reticle: #60
Finish: Dark Grey
Tube Diameter: 30mm
Salesman Sample
DEMO-B
Looks like a place to start.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2013 at 22:41
10X is more than enough for 500yds. A 10x magnification at 500yds is similar to 50yds without any magnification.

On my Sako I have the predecessor to this scope on it.

http://swfa.com/Swarovski-3-10x42-Z3-Riflescope-P40815.aspx

billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 09:38
I was looking at the Duralyt but it doesn't have an exposed top turret does it? It would be a major pain removing the scope cap everytime I wanted to dial up or down for different ranges.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 10:32
With decent glass it's plenty of magnification.

If you hunt the same elevation and have fairly consistent environmentals and run one load you could go with say a Leupold with CDS dials.

here's two other options:

I wish the offered the 2-10 with the locking turret.

www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 11:14
For that money, Sightron S3 3.5-10x44 is hard to beat in terms of optics and ease of use.  

If you like the configuration and want to crank turrets, it is an excellent option.

That having been said, within 500 yards with a fairly flat shooting rifle like yours, it may be worthwhile to work out the holdovers with the reticle, rather than rely exclusively on the turrets.  If you do that, a scope with FFP reticle is a good idea.  In you price range, SWFA SS 3-15x42 and 3-9x42 are both good options.  The Mil-quad reticle gives you good versatility.

Lastly, although it costs a little more and looks a little odd, take a look at Burris Eliminator scopes.  I have been messing with one for a bit, and although I started out very skeptical about it, now I am a fan.

It looked gadgety at first, but it works and works remarkably consistently.  I have a lot of mileage with Eliminator II, but Eliminator III is notably better.

ILya

jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 12:24
10X is certainly enough for that distance. I've been in the same boat trying to get a rifle light and still meet all those other requirements. It always involves some compromise. At this point, I'm going with the SS 3-15, which is just a great scope for the money and, well, pretty a great scope period. However, I don't plan on shooting anything over 400 yards...been there, done that and there's no point in doing so on big game. If you can't get within 400 yards of an antelope or 300 of a deer or elk, you're risking a bad shot from either the animal moving during TOF (time of flight) and/or environmental conditions you can't sense, e.g. cross wind in a valley when you're shooting at an animal across from you.

I'll hunt with this scope this year, but am seriously considering retrofitting that particular rifle with a 12-oz. Swaro, cutting the barrel down 5.5" and dial in a max. PBR zero good between 0-300 yards. It will limit the rifle in some respects, but will make 90% of my possible shots easier.
Reaction time is a factor...
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 13:49
Something like the 2-10 Conquest HD with a Z600 reticle if you can make the reticle work for your load data.  Or you can run a Z3 3-10 with the BRH which has .5 mil holds.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 20:24
Well, now you've done it.......Im as confused as an infant in a boobie bar! I need to try a lot of different scopes out to see hwat I like best. I wish I could get the sightron in a 14 or 15 power. I love the pricepoint. On paper I LOVE everything about it but the max power.
  As for the duralyst is the elevation turret exposed or capped? How does the glass compare in the SS scope? I like the power range on it for sure. I can get a real good deal on a PST, but I have to buy it unseen. I have read a lot of bad reviews about the optical clarity of these scopes, but have NO actual knowledge of them.
billiam13 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billiam13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2013 at 20:30
[QUOTE=ccoker]With decent glass it's plenty of magnification.

If you hunt the same elevation and have fairly consistent environmentals and run one load you could go with say a Leupold with CDS dials.

here's two other options:

I wish the offered the 2-10 with the locking turret.

Thanks you sir!!! These look like EXCELENT choices for sure. Which of the two do you like better and why? I have a couple zeiss conquests, but never owned a Swarovski. Also which is more repeatable, as it will be cranked on a lot while punching paper. THANKS AGAIN
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic