OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old Redfield Scope 4 x 12 need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fletchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Redfield Scope 4 x 12 need help
    Posted: October/08/2013 at 03:58
I was given an older redfield scope. Its a 4 x 12 with adjustable objective lens, also in the scope while looking thru, it has a set of horizontal lines towards the top of the lens. Also when  you increase power there is a tab that you see that moves up marked at 600 500 450 400 350 300 250 200. I have never used a scope like this. I have a Leupold 3 x 9 on my 30-06 and I have been shooting for a long time. I estimate the range and I know bullet drop of my 06 so I can pretty well tell where the bullet is going as long as I know the range.  However I have a 270 I inherited from my Dad and I would like to put this Redfield on it but I need to know how to use it first. Is there anyone that can tell me what all these bells and whistles do on this scope?? 
The road to hell is paved with the bones of men with good intentions.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 04:39
Those stadia lines up on the top will bracket a deer's chest.  So, when you see a deer, you position your scope so that the deer's body is between those lines, and then you turn the Power Ring and increase the power until the deer fits exactly in those lines....then the CHART ( or whatsis! ) at the lower corner, will indicate how far away he is. 

Then you can change your power back ( or whatever ) and take a shot.  It's called the Accu-Range.  

I never had one, but I've seen lots of 'em. 

Visit the Ed Show
Fletchman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fletchman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2013 at 20:12
@Son of Ed - Thank you so much for the info. My buddy lives in Nevada and shoots a Weatherby MkV in 300 Weatherby mag. he has used these scopes for a long time and shoots deer at over 400 yards on a regular basis. He isn't unethical but just that good. It might take me half a box to sight in a scope but he can do it in 3 shots without thinking.  I told him I was going to get a new scope and he told me to hold off and sent me this scope. Thanks again for the info. 
The road to hell is paved with the bones of men with good intentions.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic