OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

temporary cheap cheap cheap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: temporary cheap cheap cheap
    Posted: October/09/2013 at 16:40
I am in need of a scope for a day or two. No low light hunting no freezing temps max 250-300 yards.
I will throw/give away or put on a yard sale afterwards. Can't buy anything nice till after hunting season. Any suggestions?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2013 at 17:15
How cheap?  Fifty bucks?  Go on ebay and buy a Weaver K4.   Give it to me later.   
Visit the Ed Show
Rainman View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rainman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/09/2013 at 22:23
Agreed on the old Weavers.  I have several of the US made steel tubed K4s I picked up for around $50 and a K6 for $100 I put vintage rifles and the optical quality is still decent for how you indicate you will be using it.  I bought mine at gun shows so was able to check optical quality before buying and the turrets have all worked fine at least for zeroing at 100 yards.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, promoted by mainstream media, which
holds forth that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 07:23
how cheap is cheap?  Price limit? 
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 08:39
What is the intended use for this scope. It almost sounds like you are mad at an ex. Big Grin
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
wrecking ball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 09:09
50ish. No fair chase hunting so, basically road hunting in warm weather. Glassing from roads then hiking modest distances using the lay of the land. Not much time, whisper show type of hunting.
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 09:19
check out the sample list--

they got a simmons for $39!

under $50 is going to be limiting to say the least.

not many new scopes sell for $50, seems like there is a pretty good konus fixed power for about that, and an alpine. various BSAs --

and there are the box store tascos and simmons.

you could hit the local pawn shops --at least they will let you look through them first. budget type scopes they dame near give um away to get them out of the shop--

seems like i got a bushnell banner 3-9x 40 that came off a savage laying around somewhere--LOL
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 09:25
for $50 you arent' going to get much.  I might have a scope that came off a gun I traded for at home... I'll check and if your interested I sell it cheap cheap for you....
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 09:31
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

for $50 you arent' going to get much.  I might have a scope that came off a gun I traded for at home... I'll check and if your interested I sell it cheap cheap for you....

Yes, I would be interested. Especially if it came off functioning setup. I have QD rings ready to go.
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 15:47
for $50 you can have this banner if you want it. -- it tracks fine best i  can tell. damn near new too.

nothing at all wrong with it, it came on a savage axis that i bought for a song .

right now it has a burris euro 30 3-9x with the euro #4 -- damn fine shooter--

i did put the 3-9x 40 banner on the 9mm ar and tested it out --it could put 9mm rounds in the same hole @ 50 yards--

it is an awful big scope for a 9mm carbine though so i bought a BSA boss shotgun scope for the 9mm.

JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 16:37
now if you want really-really cheap i think i got a 3-9x32 simmons scope from the 90s that was mounted on a bushmaster m-17s.

it got pulled off because the m17s was shooting all over the paper,after being on there for decades.

the thing is the problem wasn't the scope it was the mount .

the thing ain't the clearest or the brightest scope out there but it still puts them where you aim.

now this is a really CHEAP scope-- and it still works and reasonably clear. considering it was a cheap scope even back in the day.

the glass has got a little dimm-- or maybe it was all ways like that--???
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 16:54
Pics?
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 17:06
hell after digging through some junk boxes i got a scope even cheaper than the simmons 3-9x32

a BEC 44mm 3-9 compact , it has about 1" of eye relief and an obvious flaw in the main lens.

it is a little "dull looking" -- don't know if it will zero or hold zero cause i don't think it has ever been mounted-- it is better than it looks.

but if you want disposable this is IT! i would take "shipping for it--" that way i won't have to throw it in the river--LOL!

EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 17:57
Being cheap can get expensive in more ways than money

Eagle
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 18:45
Yeah, but it's only temporary....     
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 18:46
Does this rifle have iron sights?!!   Smile
Visit the Ed Show
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/10/2013 at 18:55
Ya, it's a AR.
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2013 at 08:52
personally i think you should sell some beer cans, scrap metal, or something to get enough $$ for  a vortex diamondback-- or maybe a nikon buckmaster from the sample list.

i would put either of um against iron sights. --well except the BEC that is a totally unknown --LOL!

hell maybe one of us could send you a loaner?
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2013 at 09:34
I think I will pull the aluminum gutters off my house and sell them to the salvage yard to pay for a disposable opt-----ic. Good idea.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/11/2013 at 11:07
In all honesty if you have irons, just use them until you can afford better.  A vortex diamond back is about $150-$175 and is a great scope and will be covered forever.  You'll be doing better waiting than trying to get by. 

i looked and don't have that old scope any longer.  I pulled a hathcock on it and shot it (kickboxer is a bad influence)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic