OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Optic Reviews and Tests > Member's Tests and Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

BSA "BOSS" 1-4.5x 32 RGB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BSA "BOSS" 1-4.5x 32 RGB
    Posted: October/12/2013 at 16:49
just got in a new in the box BSA "boss" 1.5-4.5x  scope with red, green and blue illumination.

i had seen one of the old cats-eye scopes on a neighbors rifle and it looked pretty decent so i thought i would try one on my 9mm ar-15. and replace that huge 3-9x40 banner that has been on top of the 9-mikey-mike.

first off it is about the same size and weight as the optisan mamba or the Primary arms 1-4x 24 scopes so your not gaining or losing any thing in size.

the scope seems very bright and the glass seems very clear-- as good as some expensive glass i got and not all that far behind the mamba . which is to say very good for the modest  price.

its glass i would rate better than the supposed $200 retail price crosman/centerpoint t1, the bushnell banner 3-9x40, the old 90s simmons 3-9x --it is very close= to maybe even better - to the PA 1-4x and ever so slightly behind the mamba.

it ain't as clear as the viper, the minox or the diamondback but it is not far behind the diamondback --and that is saying something cause i rank this 2-7x32 diamondback very highly. in other words this is a hell of a scope glass wise for less than $100.

the contrast, color, definition , and focus seem very good, and there is no fish eye or distortion anywhere in the mag rings range. didn't notice any flair -- i was sort of shocked that it is this good being from china and all.

the "boss" has about 4" eye relief and a fairly generous eye box through the span of 1.5-4.5x and it don't seem to get any 'tighter" as you turn the mag up. this makes the "boss" easy to mount as eye position is not as critical as some scopes in this area.

the eye adjustment works well as does the mag ring --smooth and not sticky but with enough tension to stay put. there are some clunky bits as the mag ring is sort of "down in a hole" and the illumination control/battery knob sort of stick up --don't actually hurt anything but it is clunky-looking.

the turrets are the exposed finger adjust type they do lock back via a spring action. the do not re-set to zero like many do.

the turrets on this one seem to click by feel and sound pretty well-- not as good as the centerpoint/crossman but they do feel far better than the optican.

don't know if the "feel" of the turrets are that big of a deal as i have had the optisan for some time and it is holding zero pretty well.  the minox i got don't "feel' that great either --but they sure do seem to hold well.

they also tracked perfectly when i bench zeroed it to my box target @ 50M. so it is looking good there.

a few clicks on the turrets and she is bore-sited.

the only flies in the ointment i see might be--

the red green and blue illumination is not up to what optisan has in the mamba , the green is daylight visible in the higher settings and the red and blue seem to be either too faint in daylight or they blurr in the darkness.

given that it is still usable this ain't really a big deal , just don't expect the excellent illumination of the mamba.

the turkey plex crosshair setup looks a bit 'busy" though it might grow on me.

had BSA put a german #4 in it with a illuminated red& green dot/horseshoe  or a set up like the mamba were talking home run.

i am pretty happy with how clear it is and how everything looks and feels , the glass in it is 'shockingly good" for such a budget class scope.

maybe i just got lucky --but if it holds zero i think it is gonna be a  keeper--
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic