OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Classic WW II Aircraft Pictures..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic WW II Aircraft Pictures..
    Posted: November/12/2013 at 09:30
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Glock View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 11:37
I love photos like that Excellent
Regards Chris
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 12:17
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 12:20
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 12:21
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 12:23
Oh Man!! I LOVE the P-51's and the F-4U's! 

Is that bomber a B-26, Lynn? 
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 12:24
B-25 Mitchel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 12:29
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

B-25 Mitchel

Ah so. I meant B-25. Seriously. Bucky
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 12:53
Oops, this is an A-26 Invader.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 13:01
Here's a Martin B-26.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 13:27
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 14:29
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

ME TOO, Mark!
And, I honestly can't decide which one of those iconic aircraft I love more!

The P-51 Mustang for its sleek lines, its speed, its legendary air combat record, and the sound of that V12 Rolls Royce Merlin.

The F4U Corsair for its iconic gull wings, that huge 4-blade prop, the rumble of the P&W 18 cyl radial, its near equal speed to the P-51, and the fact I was a HUGE "Baa Baa Blacksheep" (TV series) fan as a kid.

The British Supermarine Spitfire is right up there in my mind with those 2. It had a very similar profile and performance envelope as the Mustang. Still, I slightly prefer the Mustang, only because it was ours.

I remember building models of these 3 planes as a kid, and being smitten by the lines of all 3 as far back as I can remember.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 14:58
I also sent this to you as an email, Ted. I knew you would appreciate these pictures. 

I love the Corsair best, because of.....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 15:00
I also liked the P-38's. 

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 18:54
Originally posted by RifleDude RifleDude wrote:

ME TOO, Mark!
And, I honestly can't decide which one of those iconic aircraft I love more!

The P-51 Mustang for its sleek lines, its speed, its legendary air combat record, and the sound of that V12 Rolls Royce Merlin.

The F4U Corsair for its iconic gull wings, that huge 4-blade prop, the rumble of the P&W 18 cyl radial, its near equal speed to the P-51, and the fact I was a HUGE "Baa Baa Blacksheep" (TV series) fan as a kid.

The British Supermarine Spitfire is right up there in my mind with those 2. It had a very similar profile and performance envelope as the Mustang. Still, I slightly prefer the Mustang, only because it was ours.

I remember building models of these 3 planes as a kid, and being smitten by the lines of all 3 as far back as I can remember.
There is a Dr. that I have known for some time now, that has a hanger at Bowman Field. In his hay day, he had a P-51D Mustang, and a F-4U Corsair. The P-51 had the lowest time airframe of all the remaining Mustangs, and the F-4U was one of the Baa Baa Blacksheep Corsairs.
He eventually sold the Corsair because it was to expensive to fly. That big P&W needed a LOT of gas to run. He loved the Mustang, but after he ground looped it he decided to scale back on his hobby and sold it too.
Now he shoots with my club and loves it.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 19:28
That sounds like a man whose take-home pay has a couple more digits on the left side of the decimal point than mine.Wink

Oh, how I'd love to own either of those planes, much less both! I get weak-kneed in the vicinity of either!
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 19:38

I also sent this to you as an email, Ted. I knew you would appreciate these pictures. 

I love the Corsair best, because of.....

Greg "Pappy" Boyington was/is an aviation legend, and Robert Conrad was the perfect choice to play him! The Corsair is forever synonymous with Boyington!
Ted

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 20:41
Love all of those pictures.  All aircraft have their own cool features.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2013 at 22:05
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/13/2013 at 07:32
COOL picture Mike

Back in the mid 90s we had an abundance of warbirds around here; P-51s, a Corsair, a P-47, and a bunch of T-6s, and a few more I can't remember. With 2 big annual airshows in the area it drew in even more. WWII aircraft were almost common around the 3 area airports. Now it seems they're almost extinct. The one really great thing about Blunder over Looneyville is the airshow, and all the warbirds it brings in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic