OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

ZEISS CONQUEST BIG F.....ISSUE :(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2013 at 23:59
Originally posted by Oldtrader3 Oldtrader3 wrote:

Now you are set with three scopes and two rifles!  FWIW, I have four Zeiss scopes and three Leupold's.  Since 2003, I have sent two Leupold's back for service and none of my Zeiss scopes, three out of four Zeiss are Conquest's.  I hope that you get your Zeiss back soon.  Doing service from Canada always adds time also.

Oldtrader3:`
You are very good with numbers, so you can already figure what is the future of this Zeiss as soon it will be back.      
FYI, I`m in the 40`s, my husband too and we have three kids; everybody in my family shoot or hunt, from rabbit to elk passing by the waterfowl.
Rifles, shotguns, scopes; we have 2 safes full.
but this is ( Zeiss ) my own personal adventure.
It got issue with a Bushnell Elite, they send me a new one in few weeks.
I got issue with a Leupold VX3, my fault: the focus eyepiece locking ring loosen so much it make me missed my target.
I have an old Bushnell with a huge dent in the front objective when it dropped from my threestand 20 years ago, it still working.
it all come downs to, to a matter of personal experience.
In my mind, and this is a Premiere for me; having a scope of this value with such internal failure is completely unacceptable.
Now: lets talk about the customer; I`m shock to put this on-line but I have to do it.
How many customer have access to computer, or take the time to report a situation like this ? 10% max ?

The point is not to bash on Zeiss or said Leupold is worst or better.
this is not the point at all.
But to report an issue with MY riflescope.
When I bought this Zeiss Conquest, it was because of all the GREAT review on-line.
People need to know what is going on, to make their mind and realise nothing`s perfect to make the best decision on the most crucial equipment to properly harvest game: SIGHT

its not gonna be easy!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 00:59
All and any optic can fail. I have had to send back for repair, Leupold, meopta, Bushnell (two of them), IOR (several of them), Leica, SS, and probably a couple more i cant think of. My Leica binos cost $2400 and they had a chipped/cracked internal lens. Crap happens. It doesn't mean Leica sucks and everyone should swear off of them.   It just means i got unlucky and happened to get one of the small percentage of their bino's that had an issue. I would buy another Leica optic of any variety in a heart beat if it fit a need i had. I still have 3 meopta optics, 3 bushnells, 5 leupolds an IOR, and 2 SS scopes. And they are all doing great

Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 08:05
This reminds me of when we would have manufacturing meetings to discuss scrap/ non-conformance reports at a previous manufacturer I used to work for. We had a specific part that we had "only" 1% non-conformance rate on. In our production meetings we were celebrating the fact we had "only" a 1% non-conformance rate, when the plant manager told us that was unacceptable. We were perplexed by why he would say that. After all, only 1% of parts coming off the line were unacceptable.

He explained that if that 1% happened to slip by QC and one person happened to get a product with a part from that 1%, then if that's the only product that person had ever bought with our brand name on it, that would be a 100% failure rate of our product for him/her. No matter how good our products are, what would be that person's opinion of us?

No matter how good a brand's reputation is, someone out there has likely gotten a lemon. It's good to be reminded of this from time to time. If this never happened, there would be no need for warranties.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 08:09
As usual Ted your right on the money. Well said.

Excellent
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 08:52
Point taken!
CDR3
eclipse71 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 09:05
That`s an interesting theory,
my son`s is a mechanic,
change wheel-tires-brakes.
if his employer allowed him 1% failure rate,
it means 6-12 customer per year will lost one wheel while driving,
or the brake system will failed for any reason.
but its only 1%
does it make acceptable ?
If it does happen, my son will be fired
and/or his boss will have to deal with a lawsuit.
but its only 1%
lets see what the judge will say about having a 1% failure rated as acceptable.

its not gonna be easy!
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 09:24
But the fact is that happens all the time.  I have seen wheels fall off cars while driving down the road.  Anything man made and mechanical can and will fail at times.   

It would be awesome if there was a zero failure rate, but that is not reality.  I build and manage computer systems for a living.  I buy a huge amount of computer parts, computer parts quality in general is very good.  But I occasionally have parts failures, either right out of the box or at any time during the life of the part.  Just last week I ordered a 4 terabyte hard drive and the SATA clip was broke off it, so it was not usable.  Brand new.   THe week before I got a lemon motherboard.  But I sent them back and got a exact same replacement parts.  It is just the name of the game. 

I realize it sucks it messed up your hunt and now you have a bad taste in your mouth.  But I just would not let it completely turn you off from Zeiss because of one bad experience.  They make great stuff, I have a pair of Zeiss Victory bino's an absolutely love them.  Let them fix your scope try it out again and I dare bet you will be happy with it.  They are a good company to deal with. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 09:25
I wonder what Zeiss's actual return rate is and what age most of the returned scopes are?  I can certainly understand being upset by a ruined hunt.  I am about to buy my 5th Zeiss in 20 years and I have never had one fail.  However, I never go on a serious hunting trip with just one rifle and scope.

Mechanical things do fail and scopes are a highly technologically based and complicated piece of equipment.  I am in no way minimizing failure and the effects and frustration of ruined hunting trips but you make a decision and hope that the numbers protect you.  We are fallible beings.

I worked in a medical device plant for many years and our failure rate on our devices had been refined to 1 part in 30 million failure rate but that still is little consolation to that one person who suffers from our failure.
CDR3
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 09:31
By the way, good job on the "muddy girl" camo job on your rifle & scope! I showed that pic to my daughter, and she thought it looked really cool.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 09:39
To expect absolute perfection in everything you purchase is not even close to being realistic. Anything made can have issues. If you look at any of the premier luxury brands such as Rolex, Mercedes, BMW, Ferrari and so on they all have repair departments that deal with issues. And they cost considerably more than your Zeiss Conquest. Personally I know I am not perfect and have made mistakes and so to expect that others be perfect to me would be rather hypocritical of myself.
wrecking ball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 09:54
I recently had the same problem with a conquest I purchased.
But the analogy with brakes and wheels is a bit off I think. The brakes and wheels in a failure could be life or death situation to the operator and others. In your case it seems to be a bit less than a life threating situation. Sucks it was the ruining of your hunt I would not be happy at all - apples to apples - oranges to oranges.

I just took the item back to from where I purchased it. I told them I did not want it repaired or replaced because chances are there was something more wrong with it and my confidence in the product was 100% shot.

They gladly credited me 100% of the purchase price towards a different scope of my choosing and $25 gift card.

Edited by wrecking ball - December/16/2013 at 11:18
eclipse71 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 12:12
I called them,
29 Nov 2013, they sent my scope to Virginia.
From Virginia; they might have to send it to Germany if they cant fix it.
the ETA is 8-10 weeks.
I understand the credit towards a different scope,
but I dont think I can ask for a refund.

its not gonna be easy!
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 19:51
Why don't they just replace it for you and fix the broken one on their own time?   
Visit the Ed Show
eclipse71 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2013 at 10:14
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

Why don't they just replace it for you and fix the broken one on their own time?   

THATS
a VERY good question ?

its not gonna be easy!
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2013 at 10:21
Same reason when you take your vehicle under warranty for repairs they don't give you a new car and sell your old one.  COST!  Their obligation is to fix it or replace it how they deem fit.  IF they simply replaced everything the cost would be astronomical.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2013 at 10:49
Speaking from experience "G"?
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
wrecking ball View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrecking ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2013 at 11:53
Originally posted by eclipse71 eclipse71 wrote:

Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

THATS
a VERY good question ?

Why don't you just ask for a credit towards something that better suits ya? I would think that would be better than waiting till spring to get your scope back.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2013 at 13:55
I would definatly call and tell them that you can't wait that long that you would miss your season.  Can you get a replacement or as suggested above a credit towards something else. 

No bugs but I've delt with the NC Lemon law before if that helps.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
eclipse71 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eclipse71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2013 at 15:07
GOOD NEWS,
I got a phone call this morning from Gentec Canada ( Zeiss Canada )
Unfortunately my scope (4.5-14x44 is discontinued)
But they will replace it right now by the
Zeiss conquest HD5 3-15x42mm with the same reticle Z800.
The Gentleman who I dealt with was able to reassure me and the
Riflescope should be in my place very shortly.
Thanks for your support!
its not gonna be easy!
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/18/2013 at 15:23
Excellent
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic