OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

meopro 3.5-10x44 RD. question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: meopro 3.5-10x44 RD. question
    Posted: November/21/2013 at 11:51
picked up this scope recently. ive always used bigger scopes such as 50mm. topped out at 12x or so ,etc.   what do u guys think about this size scope? will the 44mm gather plenty of light? and im shooting out to maybe 250 yds at the most.   i bought the 56mm meostar for my new 308 but picked this one up for my 270
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 12:39
It is a nice scope and you should be happy with it.

Meostar is a little better, but for the money Meopro is hard to beat.

ILya
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 13:38
i got the meostar 56mm. wanted another meostar but the only one i considered was the 3-10x50 but the plex reticle was way too thin and the 4 wasnt illuminated
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2013 at 14:10
only one way to know for sure..
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

oyster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2013 at 16:03
koshkin,
I'm still trying to pick which meopta scope to go for too, this scope was also on the list, I read that the meostar is always better than the meopro but I'm just trying to figure out why?
If you took the meopro 4-12x50 and the meostar 3-10x50 both have the meosheild coatings and meobright, same glass and dialled them down to x7, wouldn't they be equal in low light?
I know the meostars have bigger tubes but that shouldn't make a difference. Is there just more or thicker layers of their coatings which make them better?
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2013 at 16:29
I have had the Meopro 4-12x50 and the Meostar 3-12x56 side by side past dark watching deer and looking at tree branches at 200 yards and if there's a difference between the two my eyes couldn't see it.  The Meostar would give me maybe a few more minutes but that was it.
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/25/2013 at 19:28
Originally posted by oyster oyster wrote:

koshkin,
I'm still trying to pick which meopta scope to go for too, this scope was also on the list, I read that the meostar is always better than the meopro but I'm just trying to figure out why?
If you took the meopro 4-12x50 and the meostar 3-10x50 both have the meosheild coatings and meobright, same glass and dialled them down to x7, wouldn't they be equal in low light?
I know the meostars have bigger tubes but that shouldn't make a difference. Is there just more or thicker layers of their coatings which make them better?

Image quality is not all about coatings.  The two scopes have different optical systems and the Meostars I have seen were better optimized with more sophsticated optics.  Both are good though.

ILya
oyster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 16:17
Thanks ccoker n koshkin,
I know very little about the internal workings of scopes and have not handled or tried very many different scopes to compare them.Most I have learnt is from reading. The local shop has burris leupolds or redfields not a great range. The last rifle a brought had a khales on it so I think I got a little lucky there.

ccoker, how does the meostar 56mm feel? Does it feel to big or unbalance the rifle? is it illum?Do you walk with it or more sit and wait?
I think a illum 56mm might be stretching my budget.

So the 50mm meostar is better than the 50mm meopro.
That leaves me with two , the 3-10x50mm meostar #4 OR 3.5-10x44mm meopro. I want it for low light and some night hunting.
Which one you you go ?
oyster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2013 at 16:20
Originally posted by oyster oyster wrote:

Thanks ccoker n koshkin,
I know very little about the internal workings of scopes and have not handled or tried very many different scopes to compare them.Most I have learnt is from reading. The local shop has burris leupolds or redfields not a great range. The last rifle a brought had a khales on it so I think I got a little lucky there.

ccoker, how does the meostar 56mm feel? Does it feel to big or unbalance the rifle? is it illum?Do you walk with it or more sit and wait?
I think a illum 56mm might be stretching my budget.

So the 50mm meostar is better than the 50mm meopro.
That leaves me with two , the 3-10x50mm meostar #4 OR 3.5-10x44mm meopro. I want it for low light and some night hunting.
Which one you you go ?
Sorry I forgot to put that the 3.5-10x44mm meopro has the illum ret.
Mike52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 06:28
curious if the meopro advertizes 99.8% light transmission per element? The Meostar advertizes this 99.8 % claim.  If you have an 8 element rifle scope your total available light transmission would be 98.4 percent if its honest advertizing.  Compare to a much more expensive Zeiss HT which only advertizes 95% ambient light transmission!

Meopta claims a proprietary coating as many others do as well, but do not discuss the glass they used which is also critical.

Too bad the meopta plex reticle is so thin, the conquest Z plex in my opinion is about perfect not to thin, not to fat.  The Meopta #4 seems to over power the image to my eyes.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 08:39
Doesn't Meopta actually supply glass to Zeiss?  They supply glass to somebody.  
Visit the Ed Show
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 08:41
supposedly they supplied the conquest glass.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 10:38
Same glass does not mean anything since they both use different coatings.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 10:40
Originally posted by Mike52 Mike52 wrote:

curious if the meopro advertizes 99.8% light transmission per element? The Meostar advertizes this 99.8 % claim.  If you have an 8 element rifle scope your total available light transmission would be 98.4 percent if its honest advertizing.  Compare to a much more expensive Zeiss HT which only advertizes 95% ambient light transmission!

There is no set standards for "light transmission" so you can not compare these specs to another brand's specs.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 10:58
i just mounted a 3.5-10x44 RD meopro on my 270 .ill compare it at lowlight to my 3-12x56 meostar and report back
Mike52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 16:48
Hey Sparky where do you find there is no standard for light transmission?  Seems kind of odd to me.  You shine 1 watt in the objective and get .95 watts out of the occular as measured with a power meter!  Viola! % light tranmission measurement!  It does not need a standard only some equipment.
Mike52 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 17:42
http://irtel.uni-mannheim.de/lehre/seminar-psychophysik/artikel/Alex_Ryer_Light_Measurement_Handbook.pdf

here is some information.

oyster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 19:52
Meopta say 99.8% light transmission per element. They also state there meostar scopes get between 92-95% daylight transmission and a few meopro achieve 92% also. They don't give a figure on other meopro's , so I assume it could be a lttle less than 92% 
oyster View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oyster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 19:54
Robster80, will be very keen to hear how your comparison goes.
M48scout View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M48scout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 20:11
How about eye relief? Don't Meoptas have short (3") eye relief?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic