OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Zeiss Terra 3-9x42

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeiss Terra 3-9x42
    Posted: November/29/2013 at 21:32
Does anyone else here have any experience with these yet?

I purchased one sight unseen based on the reviews and reputation of both Zeiss and the Conquest scope this one replaces. Perhaps I don't know what I'm looking at but after receiving it this morning, I'm underwhelmed with it. Most notably, the outer 20-25% of the field of view is (to me) very soft as if slightly out of focus. Comparing the Zeiss to the Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x50 that it's replacing doesn't have near the blur at the edges. I also compared the two at dusk (unscientifically) and the difference wasn't nearly as notable I had expected.

The color rendition, clarity and resolution are better in the Zeiss but not dramatically so in my brief observation. I will compare it to a Leupold VX2 3-9x40 over the weekend after I get back home and report back.

Are my expectations of this optic out of whack or is it the scope?
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 08:41
Shocked  The Terra seemed like a good price.  Maybe we should stick with Meopta in that price range.  
Visit the Ed Show
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 09:09
i did get to see one recently.

i'm far from scientific when it comes to rifle scopes and i have certain preferences --

i was not impressed with the one i looked over at all.

now i didn't get to look through it mounted and set up-- as just looking at one out of the box you can't tell much. it might have been better properly set up.

i'm not a big fan of 'outsourcing" or name brand labeling -- so i might have had a chip on my shoulder.

it is going to have to do as well as the conquest AND be a lot less expensive and what i saw didn't look like it was up to either task.

maybe the one i looked through was a lemon ??--i'm thinking they ain't going to be fast movers --

JMHO.

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 10:16
Well, I'm sure there are lots of people out there like me who just want a scope on their rifle.  And they may be happy replacing their Tasco with a Zeiss for that price.  But I'm a dinosaur and I think $400 is a lot of money....( it used to be! ) but now it's just Entry Level into decent optics.

I might go with Meopta--- which must be the bargain of the century.  
Visit the Ed Show
eas View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 17:54
I am not impressed with the Terra at all. It is no where near the scope a Conquest is for only slightly less. I have looked through several of them and played with the adjustments. At least for me they feel cheap. I know they are an entry level scope but a Conquest is close to entry level but significantly better. For the money the conquest is hard to beat.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2013 at 18:37
i know this may sound almost blasphemous coming from me , but i recently put a vx2 3x9 on a m700 7-08 xcr for one of my sons, and its a pretty decent scope. i havent looked through the zeiss terra, i cant imagine its much of a change from the old conquest line, so maybe leupold is finally catching up??
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 09:36
Having never owned a Conquest, I can't make a direct comparison however Koshkin's review of the Conquest stated that the image was sharp almost all the way to the edge so I expected the Terra to be the same. I'll be calling Zeiss in the AM to see what they say.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 11:57
Originally posted by pyro6999 pyro6999 wrote:

i know this may sound almost blasphemous coming from me , but i recently put a vx2 3x9 on a m700 7-08 xcr for one of my sons, and its a pretty decent scope. i havent looked through the zeiss terra, i cant imagine its much of a change from the old conquest line, so maybe leupold is finally catching up??

Terra does not have anything in common with the Conquest, I think, but I could be wrong.  Perhaps I should get one for review.

Terra is made in Asia somewhere and since Zeiss people at last SHOT did not offer any specifics on that, I have to assume it is China.

That is not necessarily bad since from what I hear the Conquest HD binoculars which seem to be very good are also made in China (the eyepieces are put on in Germany, but everything else is made in China).

Leupold's VX-2 is a very competent little scope.  They refreshed it a couple of years ago and it is pretty respectable.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 12:03
Is Leupold starting to compete more these days, Koshkin? 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 12:34
The Terra scopes are made in Japan.
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 12:51
I didn't mean to make a direct comparison between the Conquest and the Terra scopes. My thought was that since the Terra has replaced the Conquest in the Zeiss lineup, that it would be extremely similar in optical performance. Indeed, if "MJensen" of this thread: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7755603/Zeiss_Terra_Riflescopes_are_no is who he/she appears to be, my assumption of performance similarities shouldn't be far off.

Ilya, thank you for your websites and for weighing in here.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 13:42
As far as Terra goes, the riflescopes are Japanese, the binos are Chinese, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the Conquest HD's, which are most definitely not Chinese.   The Terras are, IMO, a typical "built for a price point" item, and I am very unimpressed with anything that has Terra on it.  The riflescope eyepiece is huge, as big as the objective, is ugly, but glass is pretty good.  I wouldn't hunt with one if Zeiss gave it to me. 

A 1" Meopta would be a runaway winner vs the Terra IMO.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 15:35
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I have been pretty impressed with their newer designs: VX-R, VX-6, etc.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 16:04
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

I have been pretty impressed with their newer designs: VX-R, VX-6, etc.

I REALLY like my 3-9x VX-R the more I use it. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2013 at 16:21
When the 2-7x Terra was announced, I was all hyped up about it...until I saw one at the NRA convention. I wasn't impressed. I personally believe they do more harm than good for the Zeiss brand name.

BTW, yes they are indeed made in Japan.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 09:14
lots of good japan made scopes well under the terra price.

i just don't like outsourcing unless we get a real cut in the MSRP without losing the quality of the brand.

i think they should have stuck with the conquest. 

it is a wonder they didn't go to japan and re-badge a few weavers with zeiss stickers--

the minox ZV is made in china , from what i hear it is a pretty good scope --though not "super" by any measure.

the ZV sells for FAR less than any of the german or us scopes from the same firm.

the only good thing we might see is massive cuts in the terra price-- like a 1/2 off sale --

if they cheap enough --then maybe i might consider one-- but were in BSA price range  now--LOL!
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 12:28
Comparing the Terra to a newish Leupold VX II, 3-9x40 in daylight, the Zeiss' resolution is noticeably better than the Leupy and the softness at the edges isn't as noticeable as it first appeared. I will place it in some rings and compare them side by side with both the Vari-II 3-9x50 and the VX II 3-9x40 and report back.

Ilya, if I were to send the Terra to you for review, how soon could you turn it around?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 16:12
Originally posted by CJarvis CJarvis wrote:

Comparing the Terra to a newish Leupold VX II, 3-9x40 in daylight, the Zeiss' resolution is noticeably better than the Leupy and the softness at the edges isn't as noticeable as it first appeared. I will place it in some rings and compare them side by side with both the Vari-II 3-9x50 and the VX II 3-9x40 and report back.

Ilya, if I were to send the Terra to you for review, how soon could you turn it around?

That depends on how busy I am at any given time.  The testing itself does not take me long.  However, I almost never test a scope without comparing it to something similar from another maker and rounding up all the scopes I would need can take a while.

In this case, since the Terra runs around $400, at a minimum I would need to borrow the original 3-9x40 Conquest from someone as well as the Meopta MeoPro 3-9x42.

That would make this a worthwhile follow-up to this article:

Perhaps, I would also want to add this one to the line-up:

A line-up like that can be duly tested in about three weeks if I can arrange to get all of the scopes in before Christmas.  I will have some free time between Christmas and New Year.

ILya
CJarvis View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJarvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2013 at 17:00
If you think that's something you want to tackle, let me know. I think many, including myself, would be interested in the results.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/03/2013 at 10:01
Ilya, I have a 3-9 Conquest not currently mounted on a rifle that I'd be happy to send to you if you wish.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic