OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Scope for AR10 - SWFA, Vortex or something else
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for AR10 - SWFA, Vortex or something else

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for AR10 - SWFA, Vortex or something else
    Posted: December/06/2013 at 02:25
Need a short to medium range scope for an AR 10 that will be arriving shortly.  Will be shooting primarily at ranges from 25-300 yards, so I think a 1x4 or 1x6 scope would fit the bill.  I've been considering the models offered by SWFA and Vortex.  I do own a couple of Super Snipers already and have always found them to be a good value.

I've also heard good things about Vortex, but I'm a little confused by their  different lines.  Looks like they have a high end Razor line and I love the reticle offered in their 1x6 model, but not the price.  Also have a lower end line that's actually a little cheaper then the SWFA.

I assume what I get in the high end Vortex is better glass and a more rugged scope.

What are everyone's thoughts on these three models?

Also, other mfg's I should be considering as there are a bunch of mfg that make similar models?  Leupold?  Nikon?  I see IOR also makes a line of scopes that would fit, and I do own one of their scopes that I found to be of high quality and a good value, but they don't seem to come up when you talk about 1x4 scopes.
M7025-06 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M7025-06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2013 at 09:59
I run the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on my AR and love it.  Good glass and nice crisp turrets.  The zero stop on the turrets is a nice feature too.

The reticle takes a little time to get used to.  It'd be nice if it was a tad bigger, but with a little time, you get used to it.  

I have no experience with the other scopes you mentioned, but I've heard nothing but good things about the SS 1-4 & 1-6 power scopes.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2013 at 10:28
I'd get the SWFA SS 1-6X24. I think it's a perfect AR scope.

The Vortex Razor HD 1-4X24 is fantastic as well. It would be my second choice.

I'd go with the SS 1-6X24 based on the additional magnification at the top end, the lower price, and the fact I really like the illuminated "Donut" reticle. I also like supporting my friends at SWFA, and they will take care of you from a CS standpoint, though Vortex is excellent in that regard as well.

Optically, those 2 scopes are probably very comparable.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2013 at 15:52
Ditto on the SWFA SS 1-6x.  I've used the Viper PST, and while I decent scope, not on par with the SWFA.

Ended up going with a SWFA 5-20X on my LR-308.  It is a SASS variant and intended to be my 600+ yard rifle.

Moved the SWFA 1-6x to my SPR AR and have no issues ringing steel at 600 yards.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2013 at 21:49
SS

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2013 at 23:09
I found because of the reticle design that I like the SS 1-6 either at 1 (very cool to have a zero-magnification view at close ranges) or at 5-6 but not in between. The donut can be distracting. While it's not fashionable, a good scope to consider for a .308 AR is the SS 3-9 or the SS 3-15. Either...with the even less fashionable (for an AR) fixed rings like Seekins .82" lows offered me the best cheek weld (using a Magpul CTR) that I've ever gotten without resorting to an adjustable cheek piece.
Reaction time is a factor...
pippin View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pippin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 08:37
Thanks for all the comments.  I was already leaning towards the SS 1x6.  Now I'm p*ss*d that I missed the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale.  Since I haven't gotten the rifle yet I may have to wait and see if I can snag one off the sample list.

jonoMT - What you say makes sense, particularly if I thought the majority of my shooting would be at 200+ yards.  I do own one of the early fixed power SS (I think it's 9x or 10x) and it's a good scope.  And for slow fire, long range shooting a simpler reticle and higher power is definitely the way to go.  But this is going on a 14.5 inch barreled rifle and while I'd like something capable of going out to 300 yards, right now my local range only goes out to 200 and the ability to put the scope at 1 x and use it like an Aimpoint and shoot at 25-50 yards is more important to me than higher magnification and a longer range.
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 10:02
Sounds like the 1-6 will really work well for you then. It is awesome having no mag at short range. And 6X will comfortably reach out to 300 or more. It's a high probability I'll be using one on my 6.8x43 AR, although short term I'll try the SS 3-15 I have on it.

You might be surprised at the reach of a good barrel even if it's short. I got ~2625 fps out of a 16" .308 AR barrel using handloads I was able to bring within a grain of my bolt actions.
Reaction time is a factor...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic