OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Which Illuminated Reticle Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Illuminated Reticle Scope
    Posted: December/08/2013 at 11:02
Looking for my first illuminated reticle scope. I have narrowed down to three:

Kahles KXi 3.5-10X50 1"tube, 4 Dot
IOR Valdata 2.5-10X50 30 M&M tube
Zeiss Duralyt 3-12X50 30mm tube, number 60

I am aware of the shortcoming of the Kahles which has the 50mm objective, but only a 1" tube. The IOR has the battery located on the wrong side of the scope for a lefty like me. The Zeiss has soft edges (from someone I respect) and issues at low power settings. The Zeiss reticle is fine.

I am also aware of the Victory Diavari on the Sample List, but not sure I want to go to that price level.

Choices, choices! Which one? I am leaning toward the Zeiss right now.
MOJO
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2013 at 12:25
Mojo, wow, long time man!
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2013 at 12:29
that would be me! Still alive!
MOJO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2013 at 12:51
I like the Kahles the best out of those 3, however, it's also the most expensive. It has a great illumination system that's better than the IOR. Not sure about how its illumination system stacks up against the Duralyt.

With the current $100 rebate on the Duralyt, that's not a bad deal. However, I haven't played with the illumination system on the Duralyt, and don't know how it stacks up against the other illumination systems. I have a Duralyt, but mine is non-illuminated. Optically, Duralyts do have soft field edges and some barrel distortion at low power, but center field resolution is pretty good, and low light performance is excellent. Adjustments have a nice solid feel to them. The Duralyt is heaviest of the 3, but it also has 12X on the top end, if that's important to you.

The IOR has excellent optics, and is surprisingly light and compact by typical IOR standards. It's also the least expensive of the 3. It's a nice scope, but unless IOR has made recent improvements to its illumination, its illumination system isn't my favorite. It does have 1/4" more eye relief than the Zeiss and Kahles, which isn't much, but if this scope purchase is for a heavy kicker, every little bit helps. I'm not absolutely certain, but the last time I looked at an IOR 2.5-10, I seem to recall it having some tunnel vision on low power, which is annoying to me. I have their 4-14X50, and I like the scope a lot despite some shortcomings. Image quality is their strength, despite some weird mechanical design elements. I'm the least trustful of Valdada's CS vs. Zeiss and Kahles (Khaybes). I've heard mixed reports on IOR Valdada CS experiences -- some great, some not so great.

The above is in the order I would rank them.

HOWEVER...given the price of the Kahles, if possible, I believe I'd be awfully tempted to just up the ante another $300 and get the 2.5-10X50 Diavari w/ Illuminated #60 on the Sample List you mentioned. It's a fantastic scope, and it also has the benefit of LotuTec, which is really nice to have in wet weather. Optically, it will trump all 3 of the scopes above.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2013 at 12:55
What Ted said on the Diavari…  well worth the price.
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2013 at 06:28
I'd go with the Kahles if you don't want to spend the coin on the Diavari.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2013 at 08:08
somthn to consider is the meopro 3.5-10x44 RD. will save some money. unless u definitely want a 50mm objective
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2013 at 10:25
Thanks for the responses. I probably should have told you that I already have two Kahles KX's 3.5-10X50, one in 4a and one 4D reticle, neither of which are illuminated reticle. So, I was hoping to go with a different brand even though I am very satisfied with the ones I have.
MOJO
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2013 at 08:32
You won't be making a mistake with either the IOR or Duralyt (unless you're hyper-sensitive to the soft field edge on low power, as some are).

But, I still believe I'd up the ante a little more and go for the Diavari off the SL if I were you. I doubt later down the road you'd ever regret spending $300 more for such a nice scope that you'll enjoy for many years.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2013 at 00:15
Some Zeiss (Duralyte to be specific) have soft edges.  Most Zeiss scopes do not!   I am with Ted on the Diavari, so what else is there to talk about?
CDR3
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2013 at 10:24
Ted gives absolutely sound advice, and I have always have had the highest regard for his opinions!

That said, I have been doing further research. that Victory Diavari is a first focal plane, I believe, and Mojo has no experience with scopes that are first focal plane, and I think that I should stick with SFP scopes. that does not meant that I am against them, but just that I should stick with what I know.

Also, I figure if I would be spending $1,800 on a scope, I might as well save my money for awhile, and just go right to a Victory HT 2.5-10X50 Illuminated #60 and hunting turrets. Second focal plane too!

As "The Crusher" would say, How 'bout dat!"
MOJO
Mojo View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman
All Mojo

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 11:48
Just to let you guys know, I am purchasing the Zeiss Victory HT 2.5-10x50 with the illuminated #60 reticle, off the Sample List! Pretty excited about it. It will go on my Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .300 Win Mag.

I do plan on getting the Talley LW 30mm combination mounts. With the .56 M&M outside objective, I am wondering if I can get away with Mediums, or is High the choice? Thanks, guys!    
MOJO
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/13/2014 at 12:25

Awesome scope and in my thinking the right choice.  None of the others were bad, but the Zeiss Victory is the best... by a pretty long shot...

Nothing beats Victory... (get it... nothing beats Victory...)

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic