OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 or Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 or Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckslayer5676 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 or Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40
    Posted: December/16/2013 at 13:21
Hi all,

If you had the choice between a Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10x44 with regular plex reticle demo for $300 or a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 with #20 Zplex demo for $360, which one would you go for?

I realize it may just come down to personal preference as most things, but if anyone has any experience with these two scopes and can comment on which one they thought was better, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Is either one more clear than the other or better for low light?
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 13:31
I'd typically lean toward the Conquest but..................... either would be fine. The Vortex line is quite good, their CS top notch and optical quality more than adequate in low light situations. For a $60 savings, that may be the way to go though.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 14:39
have u seen the vortex plex reticle? its a bit thin IMO. the zeiss #20 is an excellent one
buckslayer5676 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckslayer5676 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 15:08
bugs & Robster...thanks for the replies...

I'm leaning towards the Viper HS mainly because of the $60 savings (I think both prices are a pretty good deal). Of course with the Conquest being discontinued, they're a little hard to get right now, although used ones come up regularly.

I haven't seen the Vortex plex reticle in person. Maybe I would like the Dead-Hold BBC better. This certainly seems to be a popular choice between the two.

I mostly hunt in wooded areas/timber, so low light is pretty important. I'm sure both would be pretty good.

I'm a little concerned about the 44mm objective on the Viper HS...I always go for the lowest mount I can for a good cheek weld. I like to run the DNZ Game Reaper mounts on my Browning BAR's Safari's/Lightweights and may be able to get away with a low mount for the Viper HS. Otherwise I'm sure a medium height would also suffice.
Robster80 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robster80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 15:10
i have a 44mm scope mounted on my remington 700 with dnz lows with plenty of clearance.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 15:43
Hard to go wrong with those deals.  I have used both of those scopes and liked them both.  The Conquest is a little sharper/brighter.  I like the turrets and reticle better on the Vortex.  Both have long, constant eye relief.

Vortex has the better CS, but I haven't heard of anyone having trouble with the Viper HS scopes. 

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - December/16/2013 at 17:42
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckslayer5676 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 16:10
Robster - good to know, I was hoping I could get by with a low DNZ mount.

Bitterroot - thanks...good feedback. Did you have the Plex or BDC reticle on the Viper?
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 16:50
As a general rule bdc reticles can be hard to pick up in low light. A Plex is usually better in those conditions.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2013 at 17:41
Originally posted by buckslayer5676 buckslayer5676 wrote:

Robster - good to know, I was hoping I could get by with a low DNZ mount.

Bitterroot - thanks...good feedback. Did you have the Plex or BDC reticle on the Viper?

I have used that scope with both reticles.  They were similarly subtended with the thick posts being .75 MOA and thin lines at .25 moa.

I just googled this and these dimensions are just a little THICKER than the Zeiss #20 subtensions .66MOA/.22MOA.
-Matt
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckslayer5676 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2013 at 12:38
Thanks for all of the info everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic