OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ruger American

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ruger American
    Posted: December/23/2013 at 18:03
Anybody here have any experience with the Ruger American rifle? I had a buddy show up with one in 22lr at our annual whitetail hunt (just for plinking) and it looked like a well built rifle. At the current prices they are hard to beat so I just bought one in 7-08 for $330.00. I have a 3-9x42 SII Big Sky that needs a home so that is what is going on it.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2013 at 07:50
From all I have read they are indeed a good rifle at a good price.
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2013 at 08:51
Yeah. I'm just looking for a good general purpose gun, thus the choice of 7-08 as the caliber. I have plenty of other rifles but they all tend to be geared to a specific purpose or type of hunting. I'm not expecting the fit and finish of a high end gun but I'm guessing Ruger probably isn't going to turn out a turd either.
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
martin3175 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martin3175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2013 at 15:49
Have one in a 30-06 .. Bought for a "camp gun " and topped with a Bushnell Elite 3-9 .. Shoots 1-1.5 inch groups with boring regularity and across several bullet brands /weights .. Super value
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/30/2013 at 14:22
So far mine seems to be about the same. 1.5 in groups with the 2 bullets I tried. Need to do some more experimenting with other bullets and charges and see if I can find something it really likes. I was surprised how light it is... Because of that I may end up getting the stock dipped in Muddy Girl and give this one to my daughter. She wanted my 25-06 but I'm having a hard time saying yes to that.
Cold Trigger Finger View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cold Trigger Finger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2014 at 14:01
The only problem I see with them is they aren't made in 6.5 Creedmoor
You are being watched.
If it can't be grown, It's gotta be mined
Beaudean View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaudean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 21:00
My buddy bought the American Compact in 308. Short, light and accurate enough for his 100yrd personal limit. Also great for stand hunting and tromping through the woods. I find the trigger a little difficult to get use to.
Vegetarian: old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2014 at 22:18
The trigger is similar to my Savage 110. I've grown accustomed to that little lever in there. This one has a bit of creep but nothing compared to some other rifles I've had that cost far more. My son (11yrs) has been dragging it through the creek bottoms for the past couple days. He loves the light weight. I managed to "borrow" it from him this afternoon to take a nice Whitetail Doe at about 125yds, certainly more than accurate enough for that... I'll Probably end up getting a second so both of my kids have one. His sis has laid claim to this one. Of course there is always the stipulation that dad gets to use it.
Hudge View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 01:35
Glad they seem to shoot sub minute of deer. My wife won a Ruger American 270 two weeks ago. I have a 3-9x40 Nikon Buckmaster mounted on it that I need to get sighted in. My teenager has claimed the rifle is his so I may be in trouble with him. Smile
Beaudean View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beaudean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 07:59
There are a number of gun manufacturers using what looks like the "Accu-Trigger" in an entry level gun now.
Vegetarian: old Indian word meaning lousy hunter.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 12:08
Yes... I also have a Marlin X7 in 243.. That trigger is almost identical to the Savage. The Ruger is a bit different but in the end accomplishes the same thing. My son just managed to take a deer a couple hrs ago with it.. Temp 7f, light snow, wind N at 10 gust about 20... I'll post a pic later. Obviously he is loving it now. The 7-08 is just a sweet little caliber.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 23:19
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 00:01
I guess well be getting the stainless version in 7-08 when it comes out later this year for the boy.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 07:34

All in the family!!!  I love it! Excellent  Excellent  Excellent.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 09:30
Very nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic