OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rebarreling a Tikka T3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebarreling a Tikka T3
    Posted: January/05/2014 at 16:08
Just curious if anybody has re-barreled a Tikka T3? Ive been reading several threads gathering information. Just wanted another opinion. If there was any issues? Also if a gunsmith was hard to find due to the action. I also would like opinions on which barrel manufacture to use. Right now Im considering Hart, Douglas, and Shilin. I plan on restocking it in a Mcmillian eventually.  I know its not exactly what most people would do but I love the action. 
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 16:47
Get with the guys on the tikka forums. They will know all the answers you need, they do a lot of things with them.  Tikkashooters.com
Dave

Edited by Bigdave - January/05/2014 at 23:38
Porkchop88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2014 at 18:12
Thanks! I appreciate it.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 09:55
I have done it and highly recommend!

Tikka actions are butter-smooth out of the box, unlike Remington actions.
Tikka actions have MUCH more metal in the action body - and in the right place - making the action more rigid.  If you look at the good custom actions out, they look allot more like Tikka than they do Remington 700.
Tikka actions have the side bolt release, which is a great feature.
Tikka bolts have a much better extractor than do Remington 700s.
Tikka triggers are not bad, no need to drop $100+ on a custom trigger.

Be advised, not as many companies offer after-market for T3s as they do for Remington 700s; however, there are great parts out there (stocks, lugs), and all the really good parts makers I like support Tikka T3 actions.

Tikka threads are standard at the chamber, so an action block is all he needs.

Any of the barrels will work.  I have had great success with Mike Rocks, Bartlein, and Kreiger, all shoot great and clean up quickly.

Having built on T3 actions now, I doubt I will buy another $1500 action again (in any configuration Tikka offers), just buy a $600 gun and throw away all the rest (Tikka T3 stocks are among the very worst, possibly slightly better than Remington's SPS stock, which wins top honors for "worst" in my book.)

Am happy to help if I can, the Tikka forums are good sources too.

My build specs were a 308 T3, kept the trigger and action, rebarreled with a Bartlein in 243AI, sits in a Whiskey 3 chassis with integrated bottom metal and takes AICS mags.  (Some said the 243AI rounds had feeding issues with the steeper shoulder, not in a LA T3 they don't!) Therein lies the only rub: if you buy a T3, whether in 223 or 300Win Mag, it is a long action, they are all long actions.  Some don't like that, I have no issues wit it.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 10:47
I bought a Tikka T-3 Lite in .308 late last spring, more on a whim to save weight than anything else. But I will agree with everything Rancid said. It is the best stock rifle I've ever owned...with the worst stock! I sold the tupperware off and replaced it with a Manners EH, which cost more than the rifle. But that's okay. Got just what I wanted, kept it light and the felt recoil is better than heavier rifles I've had that cost as much or more.

I also replaced the bolt shroud. But that was more a cosmetic thing. A minor complaint I have is that Beretta (the U.S. distributor) charges way, way too much for their replacement mags. They work fine but feel and look junky compared to a Pmag...and can't possibly cost as much to make.

Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 10:54
I agree on the mags, but love the action so much I make do.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 11:42
Thanks guys! Im actually working with a Stainless LH 300 win mag. Ive been looking at Remington Senderos but I just figured I would rebarrel the Tikka I already own. Now I have a good base that it can be done. I just have to locate a smith that will work with me here in Oklahoma. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 12:58
300WM, great choice, my favorite rifle caliber!

Forget the Remington, rebarrel the Tikka (does it need a new barrel or do you just want one?)  I get my barrels from bugholes.com, though 30-cal barrels can take awhile to get (if you need something special, which you should not.)
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 15:29
1:10 twist heavy contour stainless. 26". not to uncommon. Thanks for all the help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 16:07
What is your preferred bullet?  A 1:11 is a little slow for the big stuff, which is where 300WM really shines.

Personally, I prefer 1:10s, they do great with the 208s my gun loves in long range, and they do quite well for the 180 Barnes TTSX that I trust in hunting.

Your 1:11 should be fine for 175s and thereabouts, but why not get the 1:10 and go up to bigger bullets?

Either way, best of luck.  When you start looking at new stocks, Manners makes a nice one, as do a few others now.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 16:16
Is it a LH Tikka action? Tough to find good aftermarket stock options for us. Cencored
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Porkchop88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 16:54
Yes its a LH action. Ive contacted Manners an McMillan both and they both have great options. Thats down the road. Ive also been looking at this option. https://tikkaperformance.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=163&product_id=56297
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/06/2014 at 17:16
All of the big name custom barrel makers produce good tubes that will shoot. I don't believe on average any will necessarily outshoot any other, though you will always find individual specimens from any of them that are both above and below average in terms of precision. Even the "below average" barrels from the custom barrel mfgs will usually outshoot the typical factory rifle barrel, though. All of them use 416R stainless, and all hold the same bore size and uniformity tolerances. The only real difference is some use the cut rifling process and others the button rifling process. There are those that claim one or the other is a superior method, but truthfully, it doesn't matter. At any given time, one brand or another will be more popular in precision shooting circles, but that is really due to some of the newer mfg's being "the flavor of the month" more than any actual superiority.

So for me, it would come down to turn-around time at the time of order and who offered the profile I wanted. The last custom barrel I ordered was a Rock Creek, and it took nearly a year to get it. Prior to that, a Broughton barrel I ordered took only 3 months. Both shoot lights out, so given current lead times, between those two, I'd order from Broughton, (or Krieger, Hart, Pac Nor, Shilen, Brux, Lilja) or whomever could deliver in a reasonable amount of time. Some, like Rock and Krieger cut rifle their barrels, and others like Pac Nor, Broughton, and Shilen button rifle theirs. As long as they all lap the bore after rifling (they all do) and hold the same match tolerances (0.0001" - 0.0002" T.I.R.... they all do), the method used to produce the finished product doesn't make a hill of beans. I will say that if you want a more oddball twist, especially a super fast twist, you're more likely to get it in a single point cut rifled barrel than a button barrel, as the button rifled guys are stuck with whatever twist they can order from their rifling button supplier for a given caliber.

I have custom barrels from all the brands mentioned, and I can't say for certain one maker builds better barrels than another. I do prefer the "5R" or "5C" rifling profile, as I believe it fouls less, so from this point forward, I'd be more likely to buy a barrel from those mfg's that offer this style rifling in the cal and twist I wanted.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2014 at 07:32
Also, shoot me a pm and I can give you a place that keeps a few different manufacturers barrels in stock in different profiles. Not sure about giving out their name on the forum because a few of their products could put them on the competitor list, but swfa doesn't sell blanks to my knowledge.

Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic