OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

$200 range 3x9

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $200 range 3x9
    Posted: June/09/2006 at 09:06
First let me say what a great forum this is.. I've read about some scope that I'm not familiar with like Sightron and Super Sniper.

For my budget I consider $175-225 plus or minus to be in the middle range for a hunting scope. Zeiss Conquest and Leupold VX-III are my most expensive models. I also have a Bushnell Trophy which is a little soft around the edges but at $80 not a bad deal and a Barska 30mm 1.5-4.5.

Now the Q?... I've made a short list of 3-9x40mm.... I'd consider a 36 or 38mm too

Lower end $$$:

Burris Fullfield II
Bushnell 3200
Weaver V9

Higher end $$$:

Bushnell 4200
Nikom Monarch

What's on your list?? Which do you prefer???

Thanks

Rich
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 14:19
What will this be used for?

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 15:58
I will go out on a limb and assume that you already have the scope power selected for youir intended purpose. That said, I perfer the 4200's over the Nikon's to the point that I currently own 6 4200 (well 3 4000's and 3 4200's) so I guess you know how I feel about them. The 2.5-10 is my absolute favorite big game scope. I would take the 3200 over the Burris FF due to the Rainguard coatings they have. Hope this helps.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 16:06
I'll agree with Roy regarding the Elite 4200.  As far as the $200 range, I'll take Fullfield II over Elite 3200: better glass, a little more eye relief.  Rainguard is only a factor in really crappy weather (when I try to stay indoors with a good book and a glass of scotch)

You should also consider Sightron S2 3-9x42.  For $200 there is nothing better..

ILya
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 16:18
Hey Kosh, some folks actually hunt in crummy weather!!!
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 16:28
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

More power to you

I am far too fat and lazy to do that.  I've seen a lot of crappy weather, and I have concluded that I do not enjoy it in the slightest.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 17:07

The 2.5-10 is my absolute favorite big game scope.

Amen, Brother Roy.

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 17:15
Cheaptrick, look in on the "hard kicker" thread.  I am not sure, but I think I just got accused of being a Simmons fan, somehow.  Can't quite make sense of it.

ILya

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 17:47

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

More power to you

I am far too fat and lazy to do that.  I've seen a lot of crappy weather, and I have concluded that I do not enjoy it in the slightest.

ILya

Roy, I think koshkin much prefers the dark, ominous and forbidding environment of his "Black Optics Lair"....

Basically, he doesn't get out much.......

Edited by cheaptrick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 17:52

Cheaptrick, look in on the "hard kicker" thread.  I am not sure, but I think I just got accused of being a Simmons fan, somehow.  Can't quite make sense of it.

ILya

You don't say! 

I don't think I've seen someone accuse you of that before....... 

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 18:06
Yes Roy, I think that's a first.  There were also some short magnums thrown in and whore writers.  I can't quite figure out what I have to do with those also.

Cheaptrick, do not feel too sorry for me.  Being fat and lazy ain't all that bad.  Now, "Black Optics Lair"?  Wouldn't that be "Dark Optics Lair" since you've referred to me as the Dark Lord of Optics?

This is much getting out as I am willing to do in bad weather: 

ILya

Edited by koshkin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 18:21

Cheaptrick, do not feel too sorry for me.  Being fat and lazy ain't all that bad.  Now, "Black Optics Lair"?  Wouldn'y that be "Dark Optics Lair" since you've referred to me as the Dark Lord of Optics?

I stand corrected Oh Dark Lord.

You an evil optics god and me a mere mortal man.

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 18:26
Didn't you have an Optics Goddess on your side at some point?  That should make you feel less overwhelmed

ILya
Steelbenz View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
ROLL TIDE ROLL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelbenz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 20:28
You two slay me!!!! 
"Don't argue with a fool! From a distance you can't really tell who's who!"
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 21:54

"Yes Roy, I think that's a first.  There were also some short magnums thrown in and whore writers.  I can't quite figure out what I have to do with those also."

Now if I could just figure out what this is supposed to mean???

Edited by Roy Finn
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2006 at 21:57
You are having difficulty with what I am trying to say? or with what rootmanslim was trying to say?

ILya
shootz View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2006 at 12:47
I just bought 2 Charles Daly Mausers. one in 270 and one in 300WM. I'm looking at 3-9 power for North eastern Whitetail Deer.

I took a look at the Bushnell 3200 today. It's a very nice scope with a bit of a euro (fat/long) eyepiece.

The dealer I talked to loved Bushnell and Leupold service, had nothing nice to say about Burris.

Is the Nikon Buckmaster in the running?

Edited by shootz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/10/2006 at 13:24

Originally posted by shootz shootz wrote:

Is the Nikon Buckmaster in the running?

I have nothing but good things to say about the older BM I had on a .300 RUM.

Great scope for the money and it competes well with the other scopes mentioned.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic