OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

CZ 455 Precision Trainer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CZ 455 Precision Trainer
    Posted: January/13/2014 at 17:10
Looking at a CZ 455 Precision Trainer to serve as a training rifle for my 260 Remington.  The CZ comes with an integral 11mm dovetail on the action like many rimfires.

Traditional rimfire rings is an obvious option, but curious if there are rails that can be mounted using the 11mm dovetail or if drilling and tapping is required.

May not be necessary, but concerned about maintaining consistent eye relief/cheek weld between the trainer and its centerfire counterpart.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 19:32
CZ makes their own steel rings and Ive looked at them and think they would work OK for a rimfire.  Not sure how closely you are wanting to match these rifles up because you could have it drilled and tapped and mount picatinny rails to both rifles then use quick detach rings on the optic to run the one scope on both rifles.  I probably would not do that myself but it could be done.   I would tend to base ring selection on the optic chosen.  Ex. If I decided to put a Weaver 2-7  one inch tube rimfire scope on the CZ then I would tend to think the 11mm dovetail rings were adequate for most uses.  If I wanted to put a 10x Super Sniper with a 30mm tube on the CZ then I would be more inclined to have a gunsmith drill and tap it an mount picatinny rail to the rifle and run 30mm rings either Warne or SWFA 's rings as I would have a realy hard time justifying the high end rings for a 22 unless it was my only rifle.  If you can tell us how the 260 Rem is set up someone might  have other helpful ideas.   I tend to think that if you are using it to train with and running a true tactical scope  on the 260 then you need a tactical scope on the CZ so that you can get used to dialing in correction.   I would probably pick one of the Super Sniper scopes I like the 6x for a hunting scope the 10x is a traditional tactical scope but for shooting with a rest I just love the fixed  16x

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 19:58
I use Warne rimfire rings on my 452. They work work very well. It seems like someone makes a rail for them though. 

Marine, check out Rimfire Central. They have a dedicated CZ forum that is a literal cornucopia of CZ information.    

I'll be in your AO next month. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 20:00
 You may look at the HAWK adapters. Primarily used for air rifles but will work for this purpose also. I prefer the Talley Rimfire rings. The more pieces you stack together, the higher the chances of problems. The problem usually associated with the CZ is the bolt clearance at the Ocular on a lot of scopes. The scopes have to be mounted high to clear when opening of the bolt. I am not sure how this may effect matching the scope height between 2 different rifles of different manufacturer in your case.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2014 at 21:08
Here is the picatinny rail you are looking for.

http://www.diproductsinc.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=156323&CAT=3600

link to rimfire central

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/_all.php

BTW I have the 455 Precision Varmint Trainer that you have and it is a very nice rifle. And one of my favorites. I used CZ rings since I was not going to move the scope from one rifle to another.

Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 01:49
Gents,

My 260 Rem is set up with medium Seekins rings that came with the Black Friday deal SWFA was running on the SS 5-20X package deal and a Talley picatinny base.

Appreciate the info, particularly the link to rimfirecentral and diproductsinc. I'm a member at rimfirecentral, but for all things optics I typically gravitate to this forum. The DIP scope rail looks like a good possibility but point noted on scope height. Expect there will be some trial and error on appropriate ring height, but once set up, it will stay that way for some time. Might just give the CZ or Warne rimfire rings a shot first, before pursuing the DIP scope mount option.

Hadn't thought about a fixed power scope, but definitely makes sense in this situation. Goal is to try and make every shot fit in to a 3/8" circle and the SS 16X scope will come in handy at 50 and 100 yards when aiming that small. Less concern with fore and aft movement given the fixed power.

Mike

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 10:28
I used the CZ rings on mine since I could not find any other choice for my CZ in 30mm at that time. Also with the CZ 30mm rings and a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 scope with Butler Creek covers I have about an 1/8 inch clearance between the cover and the barrel. The CZ rings are .625 to the bottom of the ring in height. The Warne 30mm med height rings are .400 and the highs are .525. Also the Warne rings can be used on either 11mm or 3/8 dove tails, just rotate the dimple on the clamp down and right for 11mm or up and left for 3/8. If it was me and I was going with the SS 16x I would go with the Warne high rings. The SS will sit about .16 higher than the Nightforce. The CZ rings are functional, but they are rough in their finish, use flat head screws and are about 2x the cost of the Warne's.

FYI I did a trigger job on my PVT and it is better. But I am going with a Rifle Basix's trigger for it.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2014 at 10:40
Sparky:  Thanks for the recommendation on rings.  Was a little concerned with the strength of rimfire rings with a heavier scope, but if they work for Nightforce, shouldn't be a problem with the SS 16X.

Once I get my 260 Rem back from Manners and get it set up with the SS 5-20X, I'l have a better idea on ring height...etc.

Seems like trigger jobs on the PVT are standard upgrades, particularly for those that are shooting the rifle as a match/competition rifle.
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/21/2014 at 17:42
Resurrecting this thread for a little more advice.  Ended up going with a CZ 455 Varmint that is not drilled and tapped.

Looking to either repurpose my SWFA 3-15x or pick up the SWFA 16X previously recommended and mounting them in Warne medium rimfire rings, as opposed to putting a rail on.  Prefer the low rings, but didn't see them listed and can always add a stock pack to build up the comb.  This will principally be a paper punching rifle.

Weight of 24 oz for the 3-15x is about double the weight of the scopes I have on my other rimfires, but wouldn't expect it to be an issue with a a 22LR.

Reasonable approach? 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2014 at 12:51
I have the Warne Rimfire medium rings for my 452 and really like them. I believe they only come in medium and high, Bro. 
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2014 at 12:54
Settles that one.  Dave at SWFA gave a similar recommendation and was nice enough to add them to my order.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2014 at 14:50
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

They have a dedicated CZ forum that is a literal cornucopia of CZ information.    

haha CT,

I figuratively laughed when I read this.

Roll on Floor Laughing

I have a friend that uses the Warne rings on his CZ, and likes them a lot.  That is the route I would go as well.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/22/2014 at 15:26
That's why they put up with me around here, Matt. Wink  
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2014 at 17:22

" Corn-u-copia!! "  

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic