OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Chinese scopes--good, bad, and otherwise!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese scopes--good, bad, and otherwise!
    Posted: January/19/2014 at 21:03
I wonder if is possible to compile a list of who makes what and for whom concerning Chinese made scopes.  For instance, the Bushnell Legend ultra hd is a fine scope w/ED glass made in China.  The glass and scope mechanicals are excellent.  Also, the Pentax Gameseeker is made in China.  I purchased a Gameseeker 30 85-32X50 which is also an excellent scope again w/pretty nice optics.  I have also heard others rave about the Nikon ProStaff series also made in China.  I also recently purchased an Osprey Signature Series 10-40X50 on a whim and it has proven to be more than I ever expected it to be.  Clear/Sharp images obtained from the purported Japanese/Hoya glass at max. magnification-----40X.  Who in the world (China actually) makes these scopes for Osprey----at least the latest version called the Signature Series & who made them previously???  I think a lot of people would like to  know.  The same goes for the Bushnell Legend, Pentax Gameseeker, Nikon ProStaff, etc.  I have tried researching and have found an extreme number of riflescope/optics manufacturers in China.  Apparently, they are not all of the same quality.

On the reverse side, we have the scopes that are less highly thought of (I am being kind since I frequently see them referred to as junk).  Who are the Chinese manufacturers for these.  For instance, I found that ZOS is the parent company of Barska and a few other less thought of scopes.  I think a compiled list of all Chinese scopes is in order rather than categorize them all as junk.  Even the most ardent Chinese haters will have to acknowledge (at least if they are in their right mind) that they/the Chinese have come a long way and not everything made in China is junk any longer.  I would like this list to differentiate the junk from the good stuff.  My purchases i.e. Pentax Gameseeker 30 and Bushnell Legend ultra hd are certainly proof of that.  Sometime, you actually can get more than you paid for and the old adage that you get what you pay for in optics is not necessarily the rule of thumb it used to be.  After all, I am old enough to remember when made in Japan meant junk!!!!!  Let's get that list going!

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2014 at 21:44
One manufacturing house could make great scopes and crap scopes. It just depends upon how much someone wants to spend on the design and build. Look at zen ray optics. They make extremely good binos that actually compete with binos 3 times their price. But then u have some bsa and some tasco that are ridiculous junk.

It just comes down to what one wants to spend
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 14:21
This post brings up a question for me. I was under the impression that the nikon prostaff was made in the Philippines. The reason I ask is because I am considering one of the new prostaff 5 scopes for a cheaper rifle I have, I want nothing to do with Chinese made scopes.

Thanks, Dave
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 16:33
The thought occured to me at least a couple years ago ; that it was only a matter of time that the Chinese would produce a scope in the (for sake of argument) $500 range, that would prove to put a dent in the high end market.
All it would take (for sake of discussion) is an entrepreneur
with that goal in mind. 
Butch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 17:13
Hello Dave,

I think you will find multiple countries of origin for the Nikon Prostaff models according the particular product manufactured.  I have seen China and Thailand and have heard the Philippines.  It is my understanding that the Prostaff is still a decent scope compared to many others probably because Nikon's QC standards are imposed upon the manufacturer whether they are made in the Philippines, Thailand, or China.

I am not advocating that you buy "made in China" but I would also not be put off completely by that label since they (the Chinese) can and do indeed make some good glass where QC standards are demanded and monitored by a quality oriented OEM such as Nikon, Zeiss, etc.  I have a pair of Zeiss Terra ED binos made in China and they are really excellent.  In the case of the Prostaff, I would not be afraid to buy although I would prefer one step up meaning the Buckmaster.  For the money, I do however feel you could do better than the Prostaff's if you are willing to do research and shop.  Good luck.
Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 20:05
The Buckmaster has been discontinued, I have seen nikon Chinese binoculars, and cameras, and range finders. But I have never seems a nikon Chinese made rifle scope. So much for that one... I picked up a bushnell elite once that was tagged from China, it lasted 20 rounds on a 223. I know lots of people have had good luck with Chinese made products, but I personally have had terrible luck with Chinese made rifle scopes, although I do have a bushnell trs 25 red dot on a 7mm-08 encore pistol that has held up quite well.
Butch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 21:17
I completely understand your reluctance toward Chinese optics (in this case riflescopes) given your experience, so I wonder whether you've considered any lower priced but good quality alternatives such as the newer Swift Premier series (red band)?  It is made in Korea and boasts US made Schott glass.  I can speak from experience this is a nice series of scope!  If you can spend a few bucks more, you can never go wrong w/a Burris Fullfield (especially the newer E1 series).  Let us know what you finally choose.
JD548 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD548 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2014 at 13:35
china glass has improved greatly since the 90s.

now if they could just get them to track properly- LOL!

i have a few china  made scopes --about 1/2 seem good enough. the other half seem to have problems --mostly mechanical problems.

the little made in china optisan seems pretty good, good glass but slightly softer than i would like turrets. a china made BSA turkey plex it also seems pretty good. with decent glass good mechanicals so far but some what iffy illumination.  a centerpoint 1.75-6x 42 that has very good turrets and tracking but just so-so glass, also have a BSA majestic 6-24x

i have a few bushnell and simmions scopes and some el-cheapo red dot types as well that seem to work ok. some of the older simmions have yellowish glass but there from the 90s so- still hold zero though-

you have to consider the price -- if it works pretty well then you got your $60 worth. they are sort of a trade off. i figure you might get a $250 scope for $80 but your never going to get a $600 for $120 . to a great extent you do get what you pay for.

they can be OK in the glass dept and track well enough. even expensive scopes have limitations it is just cheap ones have more limitations-- from what i have seen anyways.

i have a few china made scopes that work well enough that i'm in no hurry to replace them--i have also collected a few real clunkers along the way too--

if i was going to buy a china made scope i would certainly be aware of the brand the warranty and what people that have bought it are saying about it--

Bigdave View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 14:16
just for the record guys, I spoke to a tech from nikon, all nikon rifle scopes are completely made in Japan and assembled in the Philippines. He said they do not use any Chinese made internals.

Dave
Rudy Dog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rudy Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 17:06
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

It just comes down to what one wants to spend

Exactly this. Generally the scopes are mediocre at best, but if you pay some good money you should expect a decent product.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic