OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Older Redfield Identification/age??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockbottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Older Redfield Identification/age??
    Posted: January/22/2014 at 09:10
I recently purcahsed a Rem 700 30.06 and it was equipped with a Redfield 3x-9x Golden Five star.  I have doone some research on the internet looking for information for Redfield optics and there doesnt seem to be much available pre-Leupold.  The best I can tell, the gun was manufactured in the late 80's and I would think that the scope is probably late 80's to early 90's?  There are no serial / model numbers, other than the ones inside the caps on the lens covers that I can find.  The scope also has what I beleive is called Accu-range or something to that effect.  I was thinking of replacing the optics with something a bit more modern, but havent decided yet.  Any idea what kind or resale value this particular scope would have?   I would appreciate any information that you may be able to provide. 
Here are a few pictures, I have a few more if you think I may have left out anything that would help with the identification.

Thank you,
David 

" border="">

" border="">

" border="">

" border="">

" border="">
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2014 at 19:38
The Golden Five Stars came out in 1985 and ended when Redfield ( Denver ) went out of business in 1997.  They were Redfield's best ROUND scope...although Redfield did make a few Ultimate Illuminators that were round---most of them were widefields.  

They are probably worth a couple of hundred dollars.  I would just keep it.  
Visit the Ed Show
rockbottom View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockbottom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2014 at 21:05
Thanks for the reply.   I got some good info on sighting the scope in from a gentleman with Ironsight today as well. Thanks again!
Oldtrader3 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldtrader3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2014 at 21:16
The Golden 5-Star was Redfield's budget scope, intended to compete against the Vari X-II Leupold.  They sold for about $150. or more for the 4-12, depending on model in the 1980-90's.  Originally they were built in Denver.  In the 1990's they moved these to Asia and they faded out of the scene, being budget scopes to begin with.
CDR3
BST4227 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BST4227 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2015 at 01:53
As I recall the Golden 5 Star was the top of the line Redfield hunting scope. The Tracker was their mid-level scope and the Widefield is where they really got their start.  As a young soldier the cost and quality of Redfield in general and of that of the Golden 5 Star were money very well spent.  I still have a couple of Tracker scopes and a Golden 5 Star. Trust me the old 5 Star is not a bottom of the line budget scope.  I can not speak of what they are today, but in the 80's and built in Denver, I was proud to have them.
tpcollins View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tpcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/27/2015 at 05:30
Ah - the Accutrac reticle. I have that on my 3-9 Illuminater, never did use it though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic