OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best long range scope for a LR308 under $600

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best long range scope for a LR308 under $600
    Posted: January/23/2014 at 17:11
I am completing a custom build and am considering the following scopes.  I am interested to hear of any personal experiences with them, and if you have a recommendation.

Pride Fowler Rapid Reticle Evolution 3-12 x 42

Zeiss Terra 3x 4-12 x 42

Nikon M308 BDC 4-16 x 42

Counter Sniper Crusader 4-16 x 42 or 2-16x44

Falcon Menace 4-14 x 44

Vortex Viper (not pst) 6.5 - 20 x 50, Diamondback 4-12 x 40, or Crossfire 4-12 x 40 lines
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 17:20
Please, for the love of all that is good and just in this world: take Countersniper off that list!

I cannot make honest recommendations when one is considering something so detestable, so blatantly wrong, it just consumes all that I am to see anyone even consider a countersniper.

Or was that the point?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 17:43
not sure what you consider long range, but your list should include the SWFA 3x15 even though its an extra $100.
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

Stone7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 18:11
I have not looked through a Countersniper, nor PFI, Falcon, or Vortex, so I don't know how to rate them.  Thanks for the reply though, I will take your input and consider them not on par with the others.  I have Zeiss bino's and spotting scopes so I know they are good.

Does anyone have experience with a few on this list they can say are better than the others?
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 18:25
Welcome to Optics Talk.

What are you shooting "long range"? Paper, animals, etc? 
Are you shooting known distances, using a range finder or milling your intended target? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 18:41
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 18:48
And yes I would loose the Counter Sniper Crusader 4-16 x 42 or 2-16x44. It is a poor excuse for a scope that ranks barely above using a paper towel tube and some plastic for lenses. And their advertising is nothing but blatant BS.
6\250\40 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6\250\40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 18:48
   I was the one that bought a countersniper[no caps apurpose]. After OT opened my eyes, I waited for a SS 3-15x42 to show up on the Samplelist. LOVE IT!!! Absolutely NO comparison!! And right in your budget.
Stone7 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2014 at 19:02
Thanks for the feedback.  I will be mostly shooting targets (in the hills and not at a range) for shots 500-1,000.  I have a ranch with some predetermined distances, and a rangefinder to help.  I am curious to see just how far out I can hone my accuracy.  The local ranges are capped at 200 yds.  Hunting would depend on just how accurate I get, but I doubt I would attempt a shot on an animal past 600 yds regardless.    Most of my hunting shots are able to be taken at 400 yds and under.  The scope would serve both purposes but the long range shooting would primarily be targets.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2014 at 10:17
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

This would be a good read for you.

http://www.opticstalk.com/long-range-101-amendments_topic23969.html
I had completely forgotten about that!

It is definitely time for another installment.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2014 at 13:03
Originally posted by Dale Clifford Dale Clifford wrote:

not sure what you consider long range, but your list should include the SWFA 3x15 even though its an extra $100.

I have to agree, it is the best value, and will certainly out preform all of the products that are listed by the OP.

Welcome to OpticsTalk!Excellent
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2014 at 21:23
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95 
SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope SWFA SS 3-15x42 Tactical Rifle Scope
Stock # - SS315X42MQ
  • Matte Finish
  • First Focal Plane
  • Patented Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm Tube
  • Side Focus (6m-infinity)
  • OK for .50cal
  • .10 Mrad Turrets
$699.95 

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
$599.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2014 at 21:32
The DPMS LR308 with a big scope is a big clunky package.  I might even stay with the 3-9x42 for a suggestion since I put the 5-20x50 on mine I kind of have a feel for where you are going with this so give it some thought and if you can make due with the more compact 3-9 I would select that.  I also like the knob reset single screw on the 3-9 and 5-20 better than the three hex head reset screws of the other models but Ive had both styles and these are rock solid scopes for what they cost they are a true bargain.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
gherea View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gherea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2014 at 06:15
I have had many high dollar scopes and this Nikon is as clear as any of them. This BDC scope allows you to actually see through the 'dot' which makes it very good for those long distance shots, especially using the magnifier. I set mine up for 200 yards and have had no problem in the 500-600 yard distances using an S&W M&P 10 (308). Nikon also offers a dope sheet with the scope, or you can download it to your smart phone at an additional cost.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2014 at 11:13
"best airsoft sniper rifle"?

Which specific high dollar scopes have you tested side-by-side against the Nikon?
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2014 at 11:26
Nikon makes a good scope, but they lack the amount of internal travel to accomplish LR shots.

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2014 at 11:59
The BDC works well out to about 800 yards… for me.  After that, it gets "touchy", but not TOO touchy.  It's better easierthan shooting with open sights at those ranges...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic