OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Where To Get Redfield Scopes Repaired

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod70xtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where To Get Redfield Scopes Repaired
    Posted: January/25/2014 at 04:16
We are looking for information; on where we can get Redfield scopes repaired. We have over 20 Redfield Illuminators, with Accu-Tracs, & BDC; which need repaired.

We have another 10-15 Redfields, such as Golden 5 Stars, & Low Pros; most of which, have the Accu-Trac, with BDC. Almost all of them, need repaired.

We have tried ABO, & Iron Sights. Neither are acceptable.

Iron sights, will take your money, then spend a year, or so, before returning your scope. We tried them two times. They did the same thing both times. Neither scope was repaired, when we got it back.

ABO isn't any good either. We have sent them over 10 different Redfields. Half of them; we have had to send back, to be repaired again.

We just had three; 3-9 Illuminators, with Accu-Trac, & BDC repaired (by ABO). They took over 6 months. The repair bill, on these three scopes, was $610.00. First one, had to be sent back because the cross hairs were loose (we had to pay the freight, but they warrantied it). The second one, broke the ocular lens, first shot out of the box. Fourth shot, broke the cross hair. We sent it back. ABO now wants us to pay another $250.00, to repair this scope; AGAIN. We told them, to return it to us.

ABO is not only incompetent; they do sloppy, slip shod work; & they do not stand behind it.

If anyone out there knows where we can actually get these scopes repaired; so they work, please let us know.

We are probably going to have to repair them ourselves. Does anyone know where we could get instructions, on how to tear a Redfield apart? Any help here, would be greatly appreciated.

How about the spanner wrenches required, to remove the lenses? I have a hunch, they are manufactured, by the scope companies; themselves. Anyone have any information, on where we could obtain any of these tools?

Bob
General Manager
Heartland Sports 
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 08:01
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mod70xtr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod70xtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2014 at 11:51
Thank you.

I went to their website, 7 sent them an email, asking them to contact us.

Bob
tokiwartooth View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tokiwartooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 13:03
Bob,

I repair vintage Redfields. 1st and 2nd generation scopes, and have done a few 5 star and Widefields.   I also provide anodizing services.

Feel free to shoot over to Sniper's Hide or M14forum, and you'll see some of my work.

Cheers,
Joe
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tokiwartooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 13:12
Redfields

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-vintage-sniper-rifles/227191-converting-commercial-crosshair-redfield-m40-accurange-redfield.html

http://m14forum.com/optics/144663-customer-m40-redfield-conversion-2.html

Kollomorgen Bear Cubs

http://forum.snipershide.com/snipers-hide-vintage-sniper-rifles/228189-help-kollmorgen-bear-cub-4x.html

Lyman Alaskan

http://m14forum.com/optics/151514-lyman-alaskan-scope-work.html

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tokiwartooth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 13:18
And to answer your other questions, it takes more than just a spanner wrench. These scopes are glued up pretty well, and you need to now how to apply heat and Acetone to get them apart. Too much heat, and you'll melt the glue between the achromatic doublet lenses and have to re-join them.   You can get adjustable spanners on e-bay. You'll also need a lock ring plier that you can pick up at Ace Hardware, along with a bunch of small screwdrivers. Acetone is key, Dupont hi-temp electrical grease, cosmo, loctite and epoxy, along with a bunch of extra ocular doublets and lenses because you will BREAK and CHIP them on occasion. With Objective lenses, you need to match diameter and focal point. There are sources for lenses out there (surplus shed).   Feel free to drop me an email, and I'll help where I can.    
mod70xtr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mod70xtr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2014 at 01:31
Do you know where I can get some crosshairs made.  I ruined 4 sets, experimenting with these scopes.

They are actually pretty simple, but you make one wrong move, the crosshairs are ruined.

The crosshairs I ruined, are all Accu-Trac reticles, from Illuminators.  Not only do they have the stadia wires in the top, they have to be made so the range can be seen, in the lower corner.

The idiots at ABO, call these an AT R1.  Not sure if this is correct.  ABO sure can't repair a scope, but maybe they know the correct part # for the reticle.  We haven't had any luck with Iron Sights either.  We are tired of paying people to repair a scope; that isn't repaired.

I have the frame the crosshairs fit in.  If I could find someone who can put the crosshairs, & stadia wires back in the frame, we will be set to go.

Thank you so much, for any suggestions.

Bob Clarke
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/27/2014 at 07:52

No luck w/ the outfit kickboxer suggested ??

Edited by hatton mann - September/27/2014 at 08:18
Magnumdood View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnumdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/19/2014 at 02:37
Bob,

Are a gun store?  I don't believe I've seen that many Redfields on rifles at the local gun store I buy my shooting supplies from.
America - Home of the Free

Because of the Brave
Krag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/20/2014 at 20:33
I have the same scope I bought recently. It has one feature that I do not know its function. It is a numbered ring on the front bell. It would seem to be yardage but some numbers are single digits. To turn it you have to loosen the front of the scope bell. I have never had a scope with this . I am guessing it is some sort of bullet drop compensator. Does anyone know what and how it works?. I have a picture of the scope but my computer skills keep me from loading it. Thanks
Mark T View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/22/2022 at 21:49
Originally posted by tokiwartooth tokiwartooth wrote:

Bob,

I repair vintage Redfields. 1st and 2nd generation scopes, and have done a few 5 star and Widefields. I also provide anodizing services.

Feel free to shoot over to Sniper's Hide or M14forum, and you'll see some of my work.

Cheers,
Joe
I have an old redfield pistol scope that needs a new front lens
Mark T
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2022 at 04:05
No offense fellas, but if THAT MANY Redfield scopes need to be repaired----then stop buying Redfield scopes for God's sake!    Bucky

Audience in the 1960s. They are all laughing at something or someone on the  stage. Sweden 1960s Stock Photo - Alamy

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2022 at 04:06
Johnny Carson Reads Letters to Santa on Tonight Show 1988 - YouTube

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic