OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

The New .296 caliber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new296 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The New .296 caliber
    Posted: January/26/2014 at 13:16
The new .296 caliber is here ! Bullets are available in 180,190 and 198gr all are vlds.l have been shooting long-range competitions for 15 years and i've seen a lot of cool stuff. But somthing was missing between the 7mm and the 30cal.That was the .296 cal (I call it the 290) Testing was first conducted on the SAUM cartridge using moly 198gr vlds 3000fps was achieved with 67 grains of RL25 That was max load.My final load was 63 grs of Norma MRP pushing the 198s at 2870fps.I know thats slow but with a ballistic coefficient of .674 , it performs very well.The high bc of 7mm and inherent accuracy of the 30cal has been Blended and it's an awesome flavor! Mac's gunworks can help you if you're interested. Fun , fun go get some Yippee
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2014 at 13:34
Pretty hard to jump into any caliber right now that one can not find brass, powder, etc for.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
new296 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new296 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2014 at 13:40
Ya, I hear ya reloading components are hard to come by these days.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2014 at 15:14
Nice to get a review of the 296,Thanks & welcome to the OT!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 07:32
Expect to see more information coming out on this caliber in the futureBandito
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 09:14
Wow, 198s at 3000FPS with a BC of 0.674, sounds intriguing.  Sounds allot like my favorite 300WM loads, about the same powder too.

So...
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
new296 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new296 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 11:02
A 200 gr 30cal with bc .67+ bc?
Voodoo6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice
Now With Kung-Fu Grip!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voodoo6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 11:52
Sleep
"A prisoner of the white lines on the freeway"
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 11:54

My goto is a 208 Amax, G1 is 0.648 (per Hornady.)

I am not saying there isn't a place for the caliber, just that I love my 300WM and will stick with it for now.

Take a deep breath and carry on.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 13:19
Sounds kind of like a .270...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 14:43
Welcome to Optics Talk. 

Howdy
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
new296 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote new296 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 17:51
Thanks cheaptrick
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2014 at 04:45
Frankly, I am not convinced there was enough space between 7mm and 7.62mm for another caliber, but I see no harm in it either.

There is no magic to the ability to push a high BC bullet at good velocity.  All it takes is a properly designed, heavy for the caliber bullet and an appropriately overbore case with a long barrel.

Bryan Litz wrote an excellent article on how bullet weights of different calibers scale in weight for consistent BC:

http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/index_files/30cal_fullVersion.pdf

If you were looking for particular ballistics, I am sure you could do it with a more commonly available bullet diameter.

For example, people push Berger 180gr VLD out of their 7mm RM at 2900+ fps with reasonable regularity.  That is pretty much the same as what you are getting out of your new caliber, I think.

With 140gr + 6.5 bullets, you should be getting the same ballistics out of 6.5x284.

On the other hand, playing with a new caliber is always fun and if I were looking for something that kicks me more than my 6.5s, without giving me the power of my 338LM, I am sure I would be interested.

ILya
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2014 at 07:40
now we just need the 23 caliber and we're set!   Anyone remember my post about missing calibers a few years back? Big Grin
take em!
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2014 at 05:23
New rifles are like new girl friends, you just want to play with it and touch it all the time. A hot new cartridge, WHOA!!!!!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
hatton mann View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hatton mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/25/2014 at 22:44
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

Pretty hard to jump into any caliber right now that one can not find brass, powder, etc for.

Amen to that ! The world is crumbling like chalk, my priorities are elsewhere,,,,..........

Good luck anyways.......

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic