OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

300 blackout suppressed Contender pistol?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 300 blackout suppressed Contender pistol?
    Posted: January/27/2014 at 17:18
ooooohhhh I think I have a cool new project in the works..

How about a Thompson Contender pistol with a 10" threaded barrel in 300 blackout with an Aimpoint T1 on it?

Wouldn't that be stupid fun shooting subsonics for close range hunting? 

I am talking with MGM barrels about making me a custom barrel and they can do it.

You could just slip it into your backpack and take it with you into a blind. 

No SBR stamp needed.

What do you guys think?
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 19:48
I've seen a few, they are indeed cool.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2014 at 20:19
pistols or rifles?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 08:30

Pistols.

Actually, the ones I've seen were shorter than 10", probably 7.  And they were whispers - back when there was a whisper.

Very cool setup.

Choose the can carefully, length is length.  That was the one application where I liked the use of a 9mm can over a 30-cal rifle can.

Another nice thing is you can use the 220-gr round nose (that don't feed in ARs and don't feed well in some bolt guns) and you can use quiet powders, no need to worry about cycling.

Lots of fun!
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 09:42
cool, yeah, I was thinking maybe 8" even.
I will be getting the stamp soon I hope for my Templar Tactical 6" ti can

pistol can would be good too...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 10:40
Be aware that many suppressor manufacturers require a certain minimum barrel length.  I'd check that prior to getting too far down this road.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 21:53
More research leads me to an 8 inch barrel.

I am also considering building a pistol AR and SBRing it
I know my Templar is SBR and full auto rated with the brake attach

Already sent a email to Curtis to check

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2014 at 22:00
Sounds like excellent fun...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 18:01
If you're wanting it for close range hogs and so forth, have you considered the Contender pistol in .44 mag? You can fire the Hornady FTX bullets, or any pointed bullet if anyone else makes them. Not saying that it's a better choice, just something to consider. There are lots of .44 mag Contenders on the auction sites. Just thread the muzzle and your set.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2014 at 19:17
Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

If you're wanting it for close range hogs and so forth, have you considered the Contender pistol in .44 mag? You can fire the Hornady FTX bullets, or any pointed bullet if anyone else makes them. Not saying that it's a better choice, just something to consider. There are lots of .44 mag Contenders on the auction sites. Just thread the muzzle and your set.

Then it wouldn't be suppressed
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 06:59
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

Originally posted by tejas tejas wrote:

Then it wouldn't be suppressed

You can handload subsonic 44 mags.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 07:18
But he would have to buy a different suppressor and start over on the waiting game. Plus it would offer him zero benefit over the 300 blk.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 07:25
If you weren't going with the blackout you'd be better going with the 458 socom with a dedicated can for it.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 09:03
Didn't know he already had the suppressor. My apologies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 09:55
I gotta disagree on the "zero benefit over 300blk" statement.  In subsonic, short-range pursuits, big bullet is king - and one can get some really big 44 mag bullets!
Speed is the limiter (and you square the v) so bullet weight is where you pick up more kinetic energy.  For this exact reason, I have been considering something like a 500whisper - then I remember I have no real need for the thing, and wander off to some other useless pursuit.

I have done a bit of pig hunting and would MUCH prefer a huge, lumbering bullet hitting my target over a smaller, pointier bullet.

I agree the 300 is the way to go (readily available ammo and lots of reloading components around) but a suppressed, subsonic 44 would be lots of fun too.

And any 30-cal suppressor can become a 44 suppressor, it just takes one shot, and BOOM.

(That last part was a joke.)
tejas View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2014 at 18:12
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

If you weren't going with the blackout you'd be better going with the 458 socom with a dedicated can for it.

I don't think you can fire .458 Socom from the Contender. I know you can get Encore barrels, but I'm not aware of anyone who builds them for Contender.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2014 at 22:45
Charles mentioned MGM barrels, I had them make a S&W .460/18" barrel & my son had a 45-70/24" octagon barrel made for our encore pro hunters & they are both dead on accurate.I know your talking hand gun,this is just a testament to the kind of work MGM does!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic