OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

You can pick only 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You can pick only 3
    Posted: March/01/2014 at 23:29

If you had to live out your days with only three rifles (1 big game, low light rifle; 1 long range hunting rifle; and 1 varmint rifle) which 3 scopes would you own to cover the three applications?  Max price for any individual scope is $1500 range.  What scope/reticle/turret configuration would you choose, and why?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/01/2014 at 23:58
If when selecting I knew what I know now I would select to spend up to $4500 on one scope in La Rue Quick Detachable rings and move it from rifle to rifle rather than have three $1500 scopes. The scope would be a Heinsoldt tactical scope. 
Now If I was limited to selecting three scopes under 1500  and yes I know the eye relief on the Trijicon seems a little short but I have one and its got more useable distance than is advertised so thats my pick for big game low light. I would use the SS for long range varmits and the Swarovski for long range hunting.  And the Swarovski is the only one of the three I dont currently have, guess I need to buy one.
SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope Illuminated Mil Quad SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQI
  • Patented First Focal Plane Illuminated Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,499.95 
Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope Swarovski 3.5-18x44 Z5 Riflescope
Stock # - SWA59766
  • Matte
  • BRH
  • 1"
  • Side Focus
$1,499.00 
Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 1-4x24 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR24R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$892.50 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 00:14
Interesting twist.  Let's amend the criteria -- $4500 TOTAL to spend on glass to cover the 3 applications, however you choose to divide it up, whether it be 1, 2, or 3 scopes.
6\250\40 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6\250\40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 05:06
   Interesting thread, Maverick2. And a very interesting idea from Urimaginaryfriend. I think I agree.
"You'll learn a helluva lot more listenin' than you will talkin'"   My Dad
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 07:37
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42    Zplex 600                        $899.95

Leica 3-12 x50 with 4A illum. ret.                                      $2149

SWFA SS 5-20x50 non illum                                             $1299.95

Total:$4348.90

Leaves $151.10 for rings
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 07:49
That's not enough but at that point who cares.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 07:50
I would go to the sample list & get some outstanding deals before I would buy new.This would allow me a lot more flexability with $4500..............
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 07:58
Indeed
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 08:51
what do you consider to be a "varmint" rifle?  I hunt coyotes by driving them and when we lose sight of them, we cut a track and dump trailing hounds on them... to get the chase going again.  99% of our shots are at running coyotes from 10' to 300 yards.   I have a Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x40 on a Savage 204 and consider it to be perfect!  But I'm not sure that's what you intended.   

And same with Long Range Hunter?  are we talking a "bean field" rifle?  Something we would want if we planed a "western" hunt or african safari?  I would imagine I would get a 300 mag of some sort and I would have to do research on which scope.. but prolly a Zeiss or Swaro.

for Big Game... which for me is mostly Whitetails... I have a Kahles CL 3.5-10X50 on top of a BAR in 30-06 and wouldn't change a thing about it.... with the possible exception of a bit thicker reticle.
take em!
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 11:29
Originally posted by Tip69 Tip69 wrote:

what do you consider to be a "varmint" rifle?  I hunt coyotes by driving them and when we lose sight of them, we cut a track and dump trailing hounds on them... to get the chase going again.  99% of our shots are at running coyotes from 10' to 300 yards.   I have a Bushnell 4200 Elite 3-9x40 on a Savage 204 and consider it to be perfect!  But I'm not sure that's what you intended.   

And same with Long Range Hunter?  are we talking a "bean field" rifle?  Something we would want if we planed a "western" hunt or african safari?  I would imagine I would get a 300 mag of some sort and I would have to do research on which scope.. but prolly a Zeiss or Swaro.

for Big Game... which for me is mostly Whitetails... I have a Kahles CL 3.5-10X50 on top of a BAR in 30-06 and wouldn't change a thing about it.... with the possible exception of a bit thicker reticle.

I didn't really have any specific "intentions" for any of the applications -- part of my goal here was to gain some insight as to how others looked at these applications and scoped for the variety therein.  For me, my varmint rifle is also a .204 ruger -- it gets used for ground squirrels and rock chucks (500+ yds), as well as coyotes during the fall/winter (where I'm walking a lot across snow-covered fields and shooting at coyotes on the move.)  Great glass, fine cross-hairs, a holdover reticle, and target turrets fit my needs for the first part, while light weight, holdover reticle, and a forgiving eye-box are advantageous for the second.  I just bought a Leica ER 3.5-14x42 w/ IBS and Target Turret to fill this niche.  

For a long range hunter, my personal criteria would be something I can take mid-sized game with (deer, mountain goats, bighorn sheep,...).  That rifle for me is a 6.5 Creedmoor.  Knowing I can use the Leica for this as well, I'd be apt to grab one of Bushnell's new 3-12x42 LRHS.  Have never held one, but from what I've read, I really like the looks of that reticle, the turret configuration, and the idea of 1 of my 3 scopes being FFP for the advantges they offer.  A lot of tactical scopes would fit the bill here, but this rifle is the one that's going to log the most miles on foot, so I can't bring myself to go with the size and weight of a pure tactical scope.  

My big game rifle is a .375 H&H.  It's habitat is northern Idaho timber and brush, and prefers chasing elk in nasty weather. (It's already notched its moose tag, but has recently informed me that it's added an Alaska Brown Bear hunt to its bucket list, so the scope for this application would need to cover that dream.)  I'm guessing the Bushnell might also work for me here, but I'm patiently awaiting the release of Meopta's MeoStar R2 in a 1.7-10x42, thinking that may be the better ticket.    

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2014 at 21:16
I have Meopta Tactical 1-4x22 R2 & it's a great little scope! Also waiting on the new 1.7-10x42,I was told about the end of August 2014.
hydra7 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydra7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 08:15
Do all your guns speak to you and tell you their bucket lists Maverick? Whacko
Give me a shot, I won't disappoint!
Maverick2 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maverick2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 10:15

Originally posted by hydra7 hydra7 wrote:

Do all your guns speak to you and tell you their bucket lists Maverick? Whacko

Not very often.  Usually my conversations with inanimate objects are pretty much one direction, often following a "miss" on a ground squirrel, when one of my snow skis takes off on an independent course of its own accord, a hammer elects to get up close and personal with one of my fingers, or my computer locks up.  These conversations are often laced with colorful language, followed by threats, as a deterrent to said object making the same offence again.  These conversations don't seem to be very effective, as all incidents seem to be duplicated now and again... 

Occasionally however, an inanimate object will manage to "talk" to me.  This was clearly the case with my .375 H&H.  Following an evening with a buddy that guides Brown Bear hunts in Alaska, I distinctly heard my rifle calling me from the gun safe, begging to put a Brown Bear hunt in our future.  That seemed like much more than "coincidence" to me, so I attributed it to Karma.  I don't like to piss off Karma, so immediately began discussions (some would call them "negotiations") with my wife, regarding timing and cost of this pre-ordained adventure.  It's quite apparent that my wife is NOT afraid of Karma, as she sees no urgency whatsoever in checking this hunt off the bucket list anytime soon (especially this spring).  I'm not sure why she has become so jaded, as previous signs from Karma in our past have turned out great, resulting in a new boat, new motor for said boat, and a couple new rifles. 

6\250\40 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6\250\40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 13:06
ExcellentExcellentExcellent   EXCELLENT ANSWER!!!!!
"You'll learn a helluva lot more listenin' than you will talkin'"   My Dad
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 14:36
Originally posted by Maverick2 Maverick2 wrote:

If you had to live out your days with only three rifles (1 big game, low light rifle; 1 long range hunting rifle; and 1 varmint rifle) which 3 scopes would you own to cover the three applications?  Max price for any individual scope is $1500 range.  What scope/reticle/turret configuration would you choose, and why?

I am not a big fan if buying one fancy scope and moving it between rifles. 

1) For a big game low light rifle I would be getting the Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 or R2 2.5-15x56
The R1 is about $1100.  If your idea of low light hunting also involves using this rifle at closer ranges and moving game, then consider the Meopta R1 1.5-6x42 instead.  Both with the 4C reticle.

2) For a long range hunting rifle, I would be looking at something like the Leica ER 4.5-14x42 or something along those lines if you can find it for $1500 or so.  Otherwise, I would take a good look at SWFA SS 3-15x42.  While not explicitly designed for hunting, it is excellent for extended range shooting and the reticle is well suited for a variety of pursuits.

3) For a varmint rifle, I would take a close look at one of Sightron S3 6-24x50 scopes for $800 -$1000.  Personally, I like the version with newer knobs and a Mil hash reticle.

If I were spending my own money, that is the way I would go, most likely.

As it were, I have one general purpose big game hunting rifle that to seems perfectly adequate for low light or extended range use (I routinely shoot out to 600 yards with it).  It has a Leica ER 4.5-14x42 on it and having tested it in a variety of conditions, I find it plenty good enough for low light use and extended range use.  It is chambered for the rather mundane 280Rem, but for those who want more power at longer distances, a 7mm RM might be a better choice.  Still I do not quite get why low light hunting rifle would be any different from a long range hunting rifle and why the same riflescope can't do both.

ILya

BobbyH View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobbyH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2014 at 19:25
I would go with: Meopta Meostar R1 3-10X50 with number 4 reticle
Leupold VX-6 3-18X50 with FireDot Duplex
SWFA 5-20X50

mtank View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2014 at 08:03
I have a zeiss hd5 on a browning a bolt 30/06 that scope is great in low light & I wouldn't think twice on using the combo. Varmint I'd put another hd5 on my 220 swift & called it a day. 3rd option would be buying the z6 2.5x15x56 & putting it on either my 264 win mag, 270 bee or my trusty 7 mm mag.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic