OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

tikka opinion for hunting/paper puncher

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tikka opinion for hunting/paper puncher
    Posted: March/06/2014 at 07:11
Im in the market for a new toy. hunting out to 300 and target to 600. I'm not set on anything yet just doing some gun scouting.
Ive seen several people on here that like tikka. Ive shot savages and remingtons. Both are nice, but neither seem to be what I'm looking for. The aftermarket doesnt seem to have as much a following as remmy or savage though.
I was considering a  a tikka t3 varmint in 260 or 308 laying in  AI,  manners, KRG Whiskey 3. The factory stocks dont look to be any better than anyone elses.
I am yet to see a quailty pic rail base for the gun.  What is everyone using?
What do you all think tikka for this purpose?
Any opinions on gun quality, trigger barrel, aftermarket parts, etc?

Looking for MOA or better

Edited by stork23raz - March/06/2014 at 08:39
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Matthew 10:28
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 09:19

I am a Tikka owner and huge fan.  My most recent efforts were taking a T3 Lite and transforming it into a 243AI beast of a bench/long range hunter.  It is a laser!

My rifle started life as a 308, I had it rebarrelled with a Krieger 1:75T, M24 contour, and fitted to a Whiskey 3 chassis.  The factory trigger breaks nicely, I'm not a huge fan of the trigger shoe but can make due, and the trigger doesn't (in my experience) have the same issues of wandering off set that some factory triggers do.

Be advised, all T3s are long action, meaning whether the rifle is chambered in 223, 308, or 300win mag, all actions are the same length, the long length.  For me, given my choice in caliber and  its reputation to not feed well in some actions, this is a big plus rather than a minus - some will disagree.

The Whiskey chassis is money well spent.  It is very well built and quite comfortable once set for the shooter.  Additionally, I bought one of the first of the first gens, so not all the front-end options.  I emailed and asked how I could get a 3rd gen front end and they sent one free of charge, called it "blemished" but it looks perfect to me.

On aftermarket, true, Tikka does not have near the options; however, few parts need attention, and the parts that do are available.  Some have complained that bottom metal is plastic and mags are expensive, the Whiskey 3 addresses both quite nicely.  I also chose to swap the bolt shroud to a metal version (plastic on the original) and put on a larger bolt handle (nothing wrong with the original, but larger gives better purchase without having to come off the rifle and find the bolt handle.) Actions are butter-smooth out of the box and MUCH more rigid than 700 actions.  I have a pic rail on mine, not sure who made it, will have to look - but it functions as a rail should. 

On caliber, 260 Rem is a good option (I ran a 260 in bolt gun and AR10 for awhile) but 308 ammo is everywhere and options are almost limitless.  If you plan to reload, either will work well; if you will be buying ammo, you'll have more troubles finding 260 than you will 308.

Lastly, if you do get a T3, immediately throw the rings in the trash, do not mount them, do not buddy dick someone else by selling them.  They are suitable only for recycle or to be throw in a sock and used as a short-range weapon of convenience/opportunity.

In my opinion, Tikka is the best action going for a decent custom gun.  Yes, more expensive actions offer some improvements (like a better recoil lug) but for a non-combat gun, it is quite nice for the price of admission.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 09:23
On accuracy, I am still tinkering with loads, but a 105 Berger hybrid over 43 grains of IMR 4350 with a BR primer and bullet sitting 0.010 off the lands is shooting about 1/3MOA.  Damn rifle sucks: no matter how many times you pull the trigger, there's still just the one hole in the paper.
stork23raz View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 09:27
HAHAHAHAHA.

thanks for the info. please let me know what rail you used.
where did you find a metal bolt shroud?
And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 09:58

Right now i just load 9mm. I got everything but powder  for my 223 service rifle, but varget seems to dissappered. I havent seen and powder in over a year.   Seen some primers back on the shelves so hopefully powder will follow soon.

I've never loaded 308 , but I've heard its a easy forgiving round.  How about the 260?

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 10:54
It's kind of strange/funny that Tikka builds one of the best, smoothest actions, attaches it to an accurate barrel (even in the Lite), and provides a better-than-decent trigger. Then decorates it with a POS tupperware stock, plastic bolt shroud, pig crap rings and ridiculously expensive plastic magazines.

I replaced the stock on mine with a Manners EHT, threw on an Aussie aluminum bolt shroud (maybe more for looks) and got some decent rings. The only thing I don't like about it now is not being able to use Seekins rings on a picatinny rail. But that's just me.

You might look at getting a Sako A7 Synthetic instead. It could save getting a replacement stock. And the rails are, depending on the source, either Weaver or picatinny...well, at least any ring that will fit a Weaver rail will work. The bolt shroud will still be plastic.
Reaction time is a factor...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 11:17

I am fairly sure I used the EGW rail, and had my smith shorten it for my scope.

http://swfa.com/EGW-HD-Picatinny-Rail-1-Piece-Scope-Mount-P45933.aspx

My bolt shroud and extended bolt handle were from Tikka Performance (l can't link to it, google it.) The bolt shroud improves bolt stability (the new one.)

On ammo, 260Rem is becoming easier to find, but is far from mainstream.  Most of mine came from Southwest ammo, or was reloads.  If ammo availability is a factor, 308 is the clear winner.

If considering reloading, 308 and 260 are very similar (both loved Varget in my hands, and the loads are very similar, 260 is a necked down 308 case anyway.)  Were I in your shoes, I'd do a 308, it will be much easier to find ammo.  When components for reloading are back on shelves, you can get into cooking your own ammo.  I am not certain what you mean by "forgiving", but I tend to think of reloading as very unforgiving: screw up and - at best - mess up the rifle, at worst - die!  Reloading is all details and process.  I enjoy reloading, it is a stress-reliever for me, but many disagree.  My shooting is all about precision and accuracy, it only makes sense that my reloading would be too.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2014 at 12:11
by forgiving I ment  heard  it  was easy to get an accurate load.  You didnt have to spend as huge amount of time trying to find that bullet seating length or the powder loading.  As long as your in the safe window on length and and powder your were probably gonna have a decently accurate load.   this is all talking to other people. I talked to some and they seem like they spend a ridicoulus amount of time  trying to tune powder load  seating depth. and such to get their gun where they want. I dunno  maybe they are just idiots.
As far as reloading being stress reliever for me.  Just in loading 9 I dont find it stress relieving at all. I wish it was. Its gonna be a necessary, and i do very much respect the process i take it very seriously. really dont want to screw up.

Thanks for  all your info Rancid.

if you get a chance please post a picture of your tikka build. Id like to see it.

Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stork23raz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 06:57
After looking around the net for  a while i came across something htat is disturbing. I can find tikka varmints in smaller calibers but not 260 or 308. 
after some research word is(cant believer everything on the internet) but that for some reason they dont import the 308/260 varmint version now.
Any truth to this?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/07/2014 at 09:04

They still list varmint and super varmint on their web sights, not sure about export status. 

I will try to put up a pic of mine.

Dyelynn View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dyelynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2014 at 00:38
Look at the t3 ctr in 308... Might be what you're looking for
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/22/2014 at 08:05
This place, Lumley Arms , manufactures steel and titanium parts for Tikkas.  I just looked 'em up again and they have announced that they are currently getting ready to make up a new batch of titanium shrouds because they have exhausted their former steel shrouds.  They can be gray, or cerakoted for blued rifles...

...other goodies , too.   

I was planning to get one of their steel shrouds but did not get around to remembering to do it and now they are gone.  Now I will have to get black titanium...

http://www.lumleyarms.com/#!blank/cpzh
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic