OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - SWFA SS 3-15 vs Vortex Viper PST 4-16 vs HDMR 3-21
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA SS 3-15 vs Vortex Viper PST 4-16 vs HDMR 3-21

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StayFrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA SS 3-15 vs Vortex Viper PST 4-16 vs HDMR 3-21
    Posted: March/16/2014 at 13:01
Hello everyoneHowdy, this is my first post, and I am in quite an optics dillemma.  I am trying to decide between the SWFA SS 3-15x42, Vortex Viper PST 4-16 MRAD, and the Bushnell HDMR 3-21 with a Horus reticle.  The scope will be for a 16" LMT MWS in .308.  My main goal is to be able to get on target fast shooting offhand on the lowest power setting sub 200 yards, and be able to reach out to 1k shooting prone. 

With the SWFA i like the price point, and it is supposed to have excellent glass and adjustability.  I also hear that SWFA scopes are tough and durable, and that is what I am looking for. I like the lifetime warranty. The only dislike is lack of zero stop and no illumination. 

I like all of the features of the Vortex Viper PST, and it would be great to have illumination.  On the downside, I hear the 4-16 glass is not as nice as the 6-24 model (which is out of the question due to having too high of a low end power setting) and they do not feel as durable. I like the lifetime warranty with Vortex. 

With the Bushnell HDMR, I like that it has HD glass, and a larger magnification range.  I also like the Horus reticle and the G2 reticles offered.  On the downside, I don't like the warranty, although I hear the scopes are rock solid.  I also do not know what mount I would use with this scope. 

I plan on running a one piece QD mount so I can swap it over to my SCAR 17 on occasion.  For the SWFA and Vortex I was planning on an ADM Delta mount due to both rifles having a monolithic upper. 

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2014 at 18:02
Three great scopes to choose from!

I have used and abused a 4-16X50 PST for a few years, and it has held up extremely well.  It is an excellent tracking scope, and I dial it a lot.  I have found the build quality and optics suitable for serious use.

-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic