OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Reloading & Ballistics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Multiple Manuals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multiple Manuals
    Posted: March/24/2014 at 10:17
Do you guys find you need several manuals for reloading or with the aboundance of info online do you find its not necessary?  Trying to decide on picking up a lot of 4 books a guy wants to sell.  Not a great deal but a decent deal.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2014 at 10:20
I use all the above. I have 3 manuals, look online for loads, just to give me an idea where to start after cross referencing.
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2014 at 10:23

so.... needing them no, handy to have them, yes.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2014 at 10:36
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

so.... needing them no, handy to have them, yes.

Just like rifles!!!!!
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2014 at 10:37
if there a good deal then yeah,grab them. Never can have to much info,ever.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2014 at 12:35

Having multiple manuals helps, especially if your looking for something that's not there.

Example: I came across a bunch of 205gr and 215gr .44cal. cast bullets, but I couldn't find a published load in any of the manuals I had, and I had a bunch. After carefully checking the manuals for .44spl loads, I decided to look at .45ACP loads since I was looking for cheap low pressure practice loads and they had bullets in the same weight. Even though the case capacities are different, I tried WW 231, and was able to come up with a safe and accurate load. The multiple manuals helped.

Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2014 at 13:36

I have most of the manuals, it is an indispensable reference point.  I value my life too much to read a recipe online and trust anything.  I ALWAYS reference a recipe by the bullet-maker.  For my non-SAAMI calibers, I start with the most similar (6mm rem for 243AI) and start low and work up to pressure signs, velocity nodes, and accuracy changes.

If I don't buy the specific manual, I go to my local gun store (where they have them all laid out for reference) and take a phone photo of the pages needed, being sure to attach good notes for info that doesn't make it into the photo.

If it is printed in the book, the company has put some effort into making it accurate; if it is online in a forum, all bets are off!

That said, I do use online recipes as starting-points for research into new loads, as in what powder tends to work best in what calibers with specific twists and barrel lengths.

Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
.308WIN View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/24/2014 at 16:34
When powder is hard to find you'll find yourself looking through the old manuals that might list a powder you still have on the shelf or local gun store shelf.

Its helped me out more than I can count flipping through the half dozen load books i got from my father which included several Speer, Hornady, Hogdon and Lyman books.

Good luck
Shoot more and more often.
.308WIN
6\250\40 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6\250\40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2014 at 05:45
   Agreed. The more, the merrier.  I shoot a wildcat cartridge, and also use Quickload.  But for factory, I found the cross-referencing ability VERY invaluable.Bandito
"You'll learn a helluva lot more listenin' than you will talkin'"   My Dad
outdoordreamdeals View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outdoordreamdeals Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/03/2015 at 19:56
I think both are good. My husband is just starting his on reloading and the more information you have the better. 
http://outdoordreamdeals.com/
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 12:35
The internet is not just a valuable resource, but is often the only source for new powders, like IMR's Enduron line. Having said that, I have manuals going back to the 1950's on my shelf.
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 18:09

More than recipes for making ammo - should you be into fine shooting at long ranges the Berger manual gets into stuff like form factors and such.Cool

I buy any new manual that I can get my hands on.

Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 18:15
Ask Eduardo about form factors!

😎
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/14/2015 at 20:24
I can't believe I just read all this.  I've started a collection of manuals and I haven't even started loading again:

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Fillet of a fenny snake,
In the caldron boil and bake;
Eye of newt and toe of frog,
Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
For a charm of powerful trouble,
Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn and caldron bubble.
Cool it with a baboon's blood,
Then the charm is firm and good.

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/15/2015 at 07:25
Dan:  I have always liked that verse.
As for the topic. Ask  yourself what to do if there is not any internet. Books contain most all forgotten knowledge that can be found. The Mayans allowed their writings to be destroyed. Now where are they?
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic